ADVERTISEMENT

New OC Candidate Theory

Aug 23, 2004
From a strictly statistical standpoint, I think the person that should be among the top targets should be Cale Gundy.

Former Oklahoma QB
OK AHC/WR Coach/Recruiting Coordinator (2015-2016)
OK OC/WR Coach/Recruiting Coordinator (2017-Current)
Student of L. Riley, B. Stoops & M Leach
OK TYPG last 5 yrs: 564 ('19), 570 ('18), 579 ('17), 566 (16) & 530 (15)
Helped Develop B. Mayfield and K. Murray.

Thoughts?

An interesting prospect. Would be able to easily more than double his current salary of $535,000. Could be the kind of move someone in his position would look to make as he is currently co-OC and likely wants to take the next step. Come here as OC for a couple years or so and then hope to jump to HC somewhere.

Seriously doubt he is on our radar though.

On paper it would be a good move as he's affordable, appears promising and should be attainable.

We have to get someone with a proven record. He fails it will be similar to BMac and then we question why did we hire someone unproven...

An interesting prospect. Would be able to easily more than double his current salary of $535,000. Could be the kind of move someone in his position would look to make as he is currently co-OC and likely wants to take the next step. Come here as OC for a couple years or so and then hope to jump to HC somewhere.

Seriously doubt he is on our radar though.

On paper it would be a good move as he's affordable, appears promising and should be attainable.
What, and have Muschamp ruin his career.

If I was an OC and agreed to work here I would have some sort of airtight contract that said I have full control over the offense during a game. Interference during a game by the HC is a breach of contract. That would be highly unusual, but why would you come here otherwise?

That is why we will end up with Mike Bobo. Two UGA grads that have failed as head coaches.

Reactions: Cocky_Corleone
Yes and that a heckuva lot cheaper than muschamps buyout
not really.
Muschamps buyout goes down by 3-4 million. If you gives this guy 3 year deal at 1 million per year, next year you pay 17 vs 18.6 this year.

Also, Muschhamp will likely find a DC job immediately that number 1.5 or 2 million comes out of the buyout also. So it is basically a break even assuming muschamp finds a job.

I’m not sold we can’t, but I do think it will be a struggle.

If we think about it, anyone who is a proven commodity at OC will be in high demand. That person would be able to command top $ anywhere they go. So we're not just going to outbid most other programs. So, the "just throw a pile of cash at a candidate" strategy is out.

Besides money, the next thing any assistant is looking for is stability. With Champ being on a scalding hot seat, we cannot offer that.

Isn't CWM on his 6th OC already ? Yet, his offense always seem too regress. I don't see how adding a new name to this equation is going to change the end result.
I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like window dressing

Isn't CWM on his 6th OC already ? Yet, his offense always seem too regress. I don't see how adding a new name to this equation is going to change the end result.

I believe it's his 6th OC hire but 5th OC. Roper got 2 tries.

Y
If we think about it, anyone who is a proven commodity at OC will be in high demand. That person would be able to command top $ anywhere they go. So we're not just going to outbid most other programs. So, the "just throw a pile of cash at a candidate" strategy is out.

Besides money, the next thing any assistant is looking for is stability. With Champ being on a scalding hot seat, we cannot offer that.
I get that. Despite being a Gamecock, there are a few schools that I would choose to coach at before here. That’s not based on salary as salaries I think would be somewhere comfortable to each other. As a father I have children to think of and where they would be better off at. I also would be attracted by location and where I’d prefer to live. I’d honestly rather coach at UCLA or Stanford than anywhere in the SEC or east coast. So I get why this situation here is truly a complexed one. For a better lack of words, a heaping mess. Money matters but it’s not all that matters. My hope is that there is that some special situation coach out there that would jump on this regardless of all the reasons not to. Fingers crossed

I am a dreamer....

I hope we do get Bobo. Why? Because if we do we'll go about 3 and 9 next year and get what we all want, the end of tanner and chump

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT