ADVERTISEMENT

New USC Gamecock license plate sucks!!!!

Cocky kebo57

Aug 21, 2004
A hop and a skip from the Lake Murray dam
At least I think It sucks. See the link for a pic of the new tag. Our colors are black and garnet, there's not much of either color on the tag. And to make it worse, it has a thin blue line at the very top. WTF???? I know the article said it was designed with maximum visibility in mind. If that's the case, then the new clemmons plate better be all white too, with a green strip or some other color that is not in their color scheme at the top of it. Who's in charge of this at the DMV???

WIS-TV

I don't get the blue line either.

7481534_G.jpg

My old one is faded out pretty bad. I don't understand the blue line unless it's reflective or something.

Originally posted by Cocky kebo57:

And to make it worse, it has a thin blue line at the very top. WTF????
I'm good till 2017 but when the time comes
sharpie-retractable-black.jpg
that damn little blue line don't stand a chance....

Blythewood better allow us all to keep the same numbers when they "re-issue" our tags while phasing out the existing design.

Originally posted by Cocky kebo57:
At least I think It sucks. See the link for a pic of the new tag. Our colors are black and garnet, there's not much of either color on the tag. And to make it worse, it has a thin blue line at the very top. WTF???? I know the article said it was designed with maximum visibility in mind. If that's the case, then the new clemmons plate better be all white too, with a green strip or some other color that is not in their color scheme at the top of it. Who's in charge of this at the DMV???
Our colors are Garnet and Black.

They can and should change the blue line to a Garnet line (make it thicker, too). Since the line referred to is on the upper side of the plate, this should not interfere with reading the tag number.

Also, they need to make the letters in 'South Carolina' larger. Arkansas and Oklahoma did this several years ago and it looks good. Great advertisement for the state, imo.

the SC DMV puts out some of the suckiest tags in the country

This post was edited on 4/16 8:33 PM by chucktowncock

Originally posted by chucktowncock:

Ugly, unimaginative, using the same font they were using back in the 50's - why don't they try something creative; something with a message while still providing the identity of the vehicle owner? This is NOT rocket science!

A giant step backwards. Who in the heck is designing these tags? We had one of the best looking college tags out there. In fact all the college tags looked pretty good. New tag format = crap.

Well too many Carolina fans complained that the regular license plate looked too much like it had Clemson colors so this is what we get. No one gets to have colors on their plates.

The article clearly states that all specialty plates will have the logo for the organization/team/whathaveyou in color but no other colors on there.

Anyone notice that they removed the word "The" from the plate as well? Just wonder if that happened to have been requested/ordered by our current governor.

I love the colors Red, White, and Blue as much as anyone in this country. But this is not about support for America. This is about support for the University of South Carolina. OUR colors should have been used.

Expense can't be an issue. I have had the same tag for at least 15 years. I pay $75 (or whatever it is) per year for a freaking sticker. I think USC gets some money from these tags, but I guarantee the DMV gets the majority.

Oh well, mine expires in August. I plan to cover the stripes with some garnet and black pinstripe tape. You guys think I'll get pulled over for that?

Originally posted by 67gamecock:
Originally posted by chucktowncock:

Ugly, unimaginative, using the same font they were using back in the 50's - why don't they try something creative; something with a message while still providing the identity of the vehicle owner? This is NOT rocket science!
Come on, people. Government wouldn't be doing a good job if they weren't making every situation worse than it needs to be.
But, hey, sign me up for them to do even more for us....Logic...soon to be extinct along with common sense.

My understanding from DMV is "all" of the newly designed plates will have the blue and red line along the top no matter if is a regular plate, vanity plate etc.....

I have no idea what the basis for that is but apparently it will be on standard on all tags they issue. I get red, white, blue for America but it kinda doesn't make sense the way they have it......Just my 2 cents worth on the red line.....

With that said the best thing I can suggest to everyone is write the DMV, your SC House and Senate members along the Governor's office....

If we raise enough H***L about it I bet you the designs will get changed......! Not sure I am going to pony up the additional cost for that plain USC tag.....

As well put the D**N "THE" back in

This post was edited on 4/18 11:14 AM by Clevercock3

Don't think it would do any good to complain to the GOV...she is a CU grad. Now if CU's is the same way...maybe so! I definitely don't think there is enough Carolina color in it! Very plain. Maybe get USC President and Tanner involved...even Gamecock Club members!

Originally posted by nikolas22:

Don't think it would do any good to complain to the GOV...she is a CU grad. Now if CU's is the same way...maybe so! I definitely don't think there is enough Carolina color in it! Very plain. Maybe get USC President and Tanner involved...even Gamecock Club members!
Yes from what I was told they will all be plain.....Only color will be the actual logo...other than that is plain white with black letters and that red and blue stripe along the top.....

Regular plates will have a phrase along the top or bottom such as "its a great day in SC" or some mess they decide upon.....haven't made a final decision on that yet

Damn.. I've always admired my Dad's that he's had forever (he's in the low 100's). I was going to get one when I graduate, but that one isn't worth getting

live in a big tourist town

see a lot of out of state tags

our state has the the worst by far

unless you dig orange & navy + purple

our state colors?

go cocks!

It's such a shame too because the old "Smiling faces, Beautiful places" palmetto plate was probably the best in the nation. Such a fall from grace in such a short time

Color/lines are to make it easy for cameras to read your tag. It will give an all new meaning to "your tickets are in the mail."

Originally posted by USCBatgirl21:

Well too many Carolina fans complained that the regular license plate looked too much like it had Clemson colors so this is what we get. No one gets to have colors on their plates.
Oh bull hockey. I hope you don't seriously believe this tripe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT