ADVERTISEMENT

Next Head Coach in Oxford

ExpatCarolinian

Jul 25, 2016
DFOICX9V0AA6yK3

Les Miles would probably take that job, assuming Ole Miss would call him. Coaching carousel just got started for 2017 and it's just July.

Les Miles would probably take that job, assuming Ole Miss would call him. Coaching carousel just got started for 2017 and it's just July.
Don't think Miles could win at Ole Miss. Couldn't beat the top tier in the SEC west at Ole Miss. Don't think anyone can unless they cheat. Just the way it is.

I doubt anyone can win without cheating.

This.

Miles would provide instant stability. He's not going anywhere. He knows the conference and recruiting area. He'll leave the program in better shape than it is now, which would make finding the next coach easier.

This.

Miles would provide instant stability. He's not going anywhere. He knows the conference and recruiting area. He'll leave the program in better shape than it is now, which would make finding the next coach easier.
He's also 63. I think they'd go after Kiffin before Miles....if Kiffin has a decent year at FAU this year.

Trust me the interim coach is going to have this job for the foreseeable future. Let him take the licks of the probation sure to fall his way. Distance Ole Miss further from their treatment of Cutcliffe.

Why would any coach want to hop into a loaded SEC West with scholarship limitations and probation looming. No one will touch that job for at least 3 years except the interim coach.

Let this sink in. We went into the SEC with King Dixon and Sparky"aka Corky by Jackie Sherill" Woods. Throw in Steve Newton and it's amazing where we are now.

Whew! That's rough.

No way they touch someone as toxic as Kiffin after Freeze. I think a solid character guy like Charlie Strong is more likely.

You obviously didn't see that FL judge rip Strong a few months back.

Whew! That's rough.

You obviously didn't see that FL judge rip Strong a few months back.

I saw it, very unfair. A player he didn't recruit and hadn't had much time to be around. I certainly was a big proponent of firing Strong at Texas for football reasons, but the guy is about as clean as they come and doesn't put up with much hanky-panky by players. Strong let a half dozen physically talented top 100 recruits that Mack Brown had recruited go, just because of weed, thugishness and similar issues.

I saw it, very unfair. A player he didn't recruit and hadn't had much time to be around. I certainly was a big proponent of firing Strong at Texas for football reasons, but the guy is about as clean as they come and doesn't put up with much hanky-panky by players. Strong let a half dozen physically talented top 100 recruits that Mack Brown had recruited go, just because of weed, thugishness and similar issues.

Did he dismiss them at the beginning of his tenure at UT or towards the end?

It's in a new coach's best interest to create a "cupboard was left bare" situation so they can have extra patience from the fan base. Then they can fire assistant coaches as the next step. Then after 5-7 years at a school and over $20 million it's finally their fault.

Reactions: Every name taken
Did he dismiss them at the beginning of his tenure at UT or towards the end?

It's in a new coach's best interest to create a "cupboard was left bare" situation so they can have extra patience from the fan base. Then they can fire assistant coaches as the next step. Then after 5-7 years at a school and over $20 million it's finally their fault.

Strong dismissed them as soon as he caught them doing anything. He had a tough code of conduct and unlike every other coach I have ever seen, it applied to star players equally with third teamers. Every other coach I have ever seen, even those I really like, give star players a little bit more latitude than unneeded ones. Not Charlie Strong. That is why the judge berating him made such little sense. I can't name a coach in America that applies tougher standards for conduct than Strong.

Reactions: DarkCock
Strong dismissed them as soon as he caught them doing anything. He had a tough code of conduct and unlike every other coach I have ever seen, it applied to star players equally with third teamers. Every other coach I have ever seen, even those I really like, give star players a little bit more latitude than unneeded ones. Not Charlie Strong. That is why the judge berating him made such little sense. I can't name a coach in America that applies tougher standards for conduct than Strong.

I detect a bit of a man crush.

I have to agree. Strong is about as straight of an arrow as you're going to find in big time college football.

ADVERTISEMENT