ADVERTISEMENT

NFL ratings way down

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is your argument?.....and no it does not hurt anymore.
Once people realize it's these athletes' country, too, their flag, their anthem, to do with however they please, then maybe a good discussion will ensue. Until then, it's futile. Kaepernick is an idiot, but what he started is powerful, achieving its intended goal and not going away. You can let it make you angry, or you can try to listen. Good luck. Over.

Reactions: cocky4
Also, all too common for a certain corner of society; thinking people should sit silent when they see obvious signs of racism.

I think both sides can make that a justification to attack. You know racism is not just something that older white people do? Signs of racism?

I can't stop thinking about Pat Tillman. He was so moved by the destruction of World Trade towers and nearly 3000 human lives that he gave up his football profession that paid millions to enlist in the fight against terrorism. As everyone knows, he lost his life by friendly fire while fighting for the better good.
No here's Kap, who takes a knee during the national anthem to make a point that he is butt hurt about something, but not willing to take the plunge to go and make it better. He wants others to do that while he gets the credit.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Once people realize it's these athletes' country, too, their flag, their anthem, to do with however they please, then maybe a good discussion will ensue. Until then, it's futile. Kaepernick is an idiot, but what he started is powerful, achieving its intended goal and not going away. You can let it make you angry, or you can try to listen. Good luck. Over.

If it was not their right they would be arrested...nobody is saying they do not have the right. What the issue is now is that the public is responding to their "choice" to do this. I am sorry that makes you angry....but we are all just exercising our rights here. If you want to know the truth this backlash is more against the NFL as anything...not the individual players. I do agree that some good can come from this. I do not think the Flag and Anthem was the way to do it....but here we are. No need for calling people names or intimating that someone is a racist because their views and opinions differ from yours.

I can't stop thinking about Pat Tillman. He was so moved by the destruction of World Trade towers and nearly 3000 human lives that he gave up his football profession that paid millions to enlist in the fight against terrorism. As everyone knows, he lost his life by friendly fire while fighting for the better good.
No here's Kap, who takes a knee during the national anthem to make a point that he is butt hurt about something, but not willing to take the plunge to go and make it better. He wants others to do that while he gets the credit.
Did you see what Tillman's wife said today?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...politicize-pat-in-effort-to-divide/106005404/
She gets it (and most likely so did Tillman).

I wonder how many truly respect the flag as provided for under U.S.C. Title 36, Chapter 10. I see people violate it almost on a daily basis...some who I am sure would be upset with those kneeling.

My father was an AF officer, a combat pilot in Viet Nam. One day in the early to mid-70s, I was wearing a pair of jeans that I had sewn an American flag patch on. My father sent me upstairs, told me to remove the jeans and bring them downstairs. I did and he ripped that patch off my jeans and said that I would not disrespect the flag in that manner. Had no clue exactly what he was talking about at the time. Later I looked it up. Here is what Title 36, Chapter 10 of the U.S. Code provides:

§176. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
  • (a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
  • (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
  • (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
  • (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
  • (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
  • (f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
  • (g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
  • (h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
  • (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
  • (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
  • (k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
Since the day my father took that patch off my jeans, I have never worn nor owned an article of clothing with the U.S. flag on it. Learned something that day.

Last edited:
I wonder how many truly respect the flag as provided for under U.S.C. Title 36, Chapter 10. I see people violate it almost on a daily basis...some who I am sure would be upset with those kneeling.

My father was an AF officer, a combat pilot in Viet Nam. One day in the early to mid-70s, I was wearing a pair of jeans that I had sewn an American flag patch on. My father sent me upstairs, told me to remove the jeans and bring them downstairs. I did and he ripped that patch off my jeans and said that I would not disrespect the flag in that manner. Had no clue exactly what he was talking about at the time. Later I looked it up. Here is what Title 36, Chapter 10 of the U.S. Code provides:

§176. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
  • (a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
  • (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
  • (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
  • (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
  • (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
  • (g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
  • (h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
  • (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
  • (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
  • (k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
Since the day my father took that patch off my jeans, I have never worn nor owned an article of clothing with the U.S. flag on it. Learned something that day.

We are all guilty of sin. Laws are only a poor excuse for righteousness. I think the grey area in this is the intents...to show pride for it...or not.

And how many black men have been killed by other black men? Oh, I won't go there because it has been brought out and no one wants to accept it as reality. And for those who do the killing, are they criminals who deserve to be placed behind bars?

There is one huge problem with your analysis. You are overlooking the possibility that the reason blacks are over-represented in these statistics is that they are actually committing more crimes. That possibility has to be considered.

So let's just take your assertions here to their logical ends. You are asserting that the levels of black men's arrest, involvement in violent crime, and killing by police is justified. It is not some problem or inconsistency in society that leads to these higher levels of risk. Police are just doing their jobs. That would lead one to believe that racially, there is just something different with black people that causes them to be subject to more police scrutiny and more police violence.

So we should then expect to find this same pattern across the world - even where black people are in the majority and have economic and political power. That's where these "it is what it is" and "they have the same opportunities as everyone else" lines of reasoning fails. There is now and never has been anything intrinsically different about black men that makes them more prone to violence. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with black people that makes them more likely to live in poverty.

The truth is that populations that have been subjected to colonialism, traditionally marginalized and discriminated against STILL suffer the effects of that treatment - and the treatment still continues in many ways. That's the part that white Americans don't get. I'm afraid most never will. AND that's the light black people who have an audience are trying to shine into the darkness; the battle for equality is not finished.

Reactions: E-Cut_22

When are you people going to understand the people that served and died for this country did so for us to have the right to kneel during the national anthem. My god do you wish this were China and people were imprisoned for it? You cant have it both ways, freedom has a price, it ain't free

So let's just take your assertions here to their logical ends. You are asserting that the levels of black men's arrest, involvement in violent crime, and killing by police is justified. It is not some problem or inconsistency in society that leads to these higher levels of risk. Police are just doing their jobs. That would lead one to believe that racially, there is just something different with black people that causes them to be subject to more police scrutiny and more police violence.

So we should then expect to find this same pattern across the world - even where black people are in the majority and have economic and political power. That's where these "it is what it is" and "they have the same opportunities as everyone else" lines of reasoning fails. There is now and never has been anything intrinsically different about black men that makes them more prone to violence. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with black people that makes them more likely to live in poverty.

The truth is that populations that have been subjected to colonialism, traditionally marginalized and discriminated against STILL suffer the effects of that treatment - and the treatment still continues in many ways. That's the part that white Americans don't get. I'm afraid most never will. AND that's the light black people who have an audience are trying to shine into the darkness; the battle for equality is not finished.

Great post.

§176. Respect for flag

Due to my background I actually knew this and refuse to purchase hats or socks or underwear or whatever with the flag on it.

I wear a hat that has full flag on the front, that I have worn for years.

Regardless of the why, IF black people are committing crime at a higher rate, wouldn't it make sense that they are coming into contact with police more often? Should the police just ignore the crimes because the black people have suffered in the past?

We can work as a society to resolve problems of the past, but should we ignore crime in the present while we do that?

I would not listen to anyone that made an argument that genetics is a cause. However when you talk about the culture that has built up there are problems that need to be addressed first and foremost....and that needs to come from people that have a voice in that community. Until that happens I do not think much can be accomplished.

I think this...I think now is the time to actually make great strides. It will take a lot of real down talk and maybe new leadership to rise up that actually want to get something done....rather than kicking the can down the road for another 50 years...like they have pretty much done since the late 60's..early 70's.

We got a shot here....I am hoping for the best.

Reactions: E-Cut_22
Can we all agree it's unbecoming a potus to speak like Trump did and continues to do?

SOBs and Rocket Man etc?

Can we agree we still have equality and equity issues for blacks in this country?

Can we all agree it's unbecoming a potus to speak like Trump did and continues to do?

SOBs and Rocket Man etc?

Can we agree we still have equality and equity issues for blacks in this country?
Yes, but I can't agree that its all the fault of white people. Black "leaders" certainly haven't helped.

SOBs and Rocket Man etc?

I think this about Trump...he says some wild shit...but in a way we needed that. A lot of the problem with traditional politicians is that they are actually problem solving adverse.....so things like race and N. Korea get kicked down the road. Whatever his style...he does cause things to get delved into.

Yes...we agree that there is equity issues....which is perceived as equality issues. There are way too many other races, religions and so on that have done well to believe this is a hopelessly racist country. The question is what needs to happen for those that are not doing well do actually do the things that will bring them success.

Do you feel that another country on this Earth give out this so called lost equality? Why not start your protest about black on black killings in Chicago? The left is putting forth the narrative that the US is a racist nation and we look to hold the minorities down in a powerless position. Do you actually go out every day and think a police man is looking to shoot you or someone is going to mistreat you because of your race? Your leadership and so called politicians have misled you and use you to get votes for their continued elections.

Reactions: cockofdawn

SOBs and Rocket Man etc?

I don't like Trump, but what was wrong with Rocket Man? Kim Jong un deserves to be talked to that way.

SOBs and Rocket Man etc?

1. YES he needs to show some decorum as the POTUS. Caveat, Rocket Man was at least funny, even if inappropriate.

2. We are way closer to equality now than we have ever been. And I am a firm proponent of equality of opportunity. Equity is a trickier subject, it is predicated on a person getting what they think they deserve. And what you think you deserve can vary greatly. Some people (of all colors and backgrounds) truly believe "they are" therefore "they deserve". They don't believe that if you want something you may have to work to get it, "that guy has it, I should have it too".

I don't like Trump, but what was wrong with Rocket Man? Kim Jong un deserves to be talked to that way.

Did you vote for Trump? You think that's appropriate for the president of the United States to say?

Your problem is, these aren't my assertions. Let me just skip to the crux of the matter. Here's where you are fundamentally going wrong:
There is now and never has been anything intrinsically different about black men that makes them more prone to violence.
I never said there was anything intrinsically different about black men. That's you projecting YOUR on biases onto my comments. You read into them something I never said, or even implied.

My point is not that blacks are somehow inherently prone to crime. My point is, you can't say that just because one group represents a higher percentage of the criminal population, it's a product of racism. If blacks make up a disproportionate amount of convicted criminals, for example, that doesn't automatically mean it's because they are being unfairly targeted or convicted. It may mean they are simply committing more crimes.

My issue is not why they might commit a higher percentage of crimes. That's due to a variety of factors (economic, social, etc.). The problem is, you still can't overlook the crime itself. If a man robs a house, you can't say, "Well, his ancestors were discriminated against, so we just won't charge him with burglary." If that person commits a crime, you can't just overlook it because it skews some arbitrary percentage.

You simply are never going to get a situation where crime is evenly distributed. You won't get a situation where 20% whites commit crime, 20% of blacks commit crime, 20% of Latinos commit crime 20%, 20% of Asians commit crime, etc. Some groups will commit a higher percentage of crime. Some will commit less. The reasons are essentially random. It's basically determined by environmental factors. It's never going to work out that each group only commits crime in exact proportion to their representation in society. That's just a fanciful notion. There are too many variables within each group to ensure uniformity.

So with all that said, you can't just assume that because blacks are over-represented in the criminal justice system, that it's because of racism. You can't completely rule out the possibility that they simply may be committing those crimes. Why they are committing those crimes is a different discussion. In other words, these statistics don't prove racism.

Reactions: Garnet chicken
Did you vote for Trump? You think that's appropriate for the president of the United States to say?

How short is your memory? Didn't you see that I said I don't like Trump? What a dumbass question to ask if I voted for Trump after I said I didn't like him. But I do like him more than the dictator of North Korea. Maybe you feel otherwise. And yes, I think it is okay for any president to talk trash to that little monster. I only wish it was Bernie doing it.

I don't think anyone is saying that there is some genetic difference that causes these disparities.

However it isn't a huge leap to surmise that if one group does something more often there is a greater chance that a negative consequence of that action will be more prevalent. That premise can be applied to any statistical group across any category you wish.

The crime statistics are pretty clear, per the BJS, FBI and CDC, concerning what racial group commits violent crime at a statistically higher rate than their corresponding percentage of the population. To date 23% (165 of 730) of people killed this year by police are black, and 44% (326 of 730) are white. Many of these people were armed and the escalation of force was justified. Sadly some were not. And yes the unjustified ones need attention but so do so many other and bigger issues.

Maybe it is just my perception, crappy coverage by the MSM, or maybe its not a priority but groups like BLM appear to never address the driving socio-economic factors behind the perceived differences or racial inequalities between black and white people. Its just racism. IMO, when all you do is play the victim and race card the message falls on deaf ears, those deaf ears aren't only white.

Honest question, can someone explain to me, at least from what I see, why is it when a black person points out the bigger issues in the black community and doesn't just scream racism they are called names and castigated?

Here is what I see are the biggest problems in the US and this is applied equally across all racial groups.
1. LBJ's war on poverty was an atom bomb dropped on the population and it significantly affected the black community. It created generations of people depending on the government and incentivized people to depend on the government instead of themselves.
2. The rate of kids raised without two parents is disgustingly out of control but no one seems to see the connection between this and inter-generational poverty, higher rates of crime, drug use and incarceration.
3. The education system is lacking in this country but would be significantly improved if item #2 above was solved and parents were involved and education truly started at home.
4. We have to stop calling people names when we disagree with their POV. You can't even begin to have a discussion and reach a common ground if the other side is only willing to hurl insults.
5. Identity politics are for lemmings and those that cannot make up their own minds. Its ok to be a gay muslim conservative or a southern white man living is a single wide liberal.
6. No one cares enough about you individually to stand in the way of your success, stop blaming others for your failures.
7. We need to have very uncomfortable conversations and not get angry when someone points out shortcomings.
8. Lets stop the oppression olympics. Being marginalized is not a virtue and doesn't actually give you as person any value.
9. Lets do better about electing our government, and a better job of not re-electing them when they do a crappy job. There is no reason someone should go to Washington and leave a millionaire if they weren't one before they arrived.
10. Treat everyone as an individual not part of a collective. If someone is an a$$hole to you that's on them. Not everyone who looks, thinks or associates with that person is also.

I have no problem with that. He is a communist dictator that starves his people and their only thing is getting money from China or Iran and threatening countries with nukes they supposedly because of bribe money from us don't have. It beats the apology tour that the other President went on. It is time to stop down rating the US and the people in it.

Yep. And white people make up about 70% of our population - not 13%. Some simple statistics will tell you that the percentages are skewed.

They are "skewed" because black citizens commit far more than 13% of the crime. Black males alone (about 6% of the population) commit almost 40% of the murders in the US. Almost all of those being other black males.

quote-if-a-kid-calls-his-grandma-mommy-and-his-mama-pam-he-s-going-to-jail-chris-rock-129-62-33.jpg

It seems like the NFL is now being boycotted by factions on both sides of the argument.
Yes, before the season started many were talking about boycotting because they felt Kap was being unjustly blackballed by the NFL. This is a no win situation for the NFL. They have both sides threatening to boycott. I say just line up and play the games. Sit, stand, jump around and dance. Just play the damn game.

When are you people going to understand the people that served and died for this country did so for us to have the right to kneel during the national anthem. My god do you wish this were China and people were imprisoned for it? You cant have it both ways, freedom has a price, it ain't free
Do you know anyone personally who would give their life so that some deadbeat could kneel during the national anthem? I didn't think so but you keep on hiding your head in the sand and believing what you want to believe. Did they also die so that we could cart a confederate flag around..or erect and admire monuments of great leaders of a war that celebrated slavery? So tell me when are "you people" going to stop with the damned double standard?

I do get it to the best of my ability...never having lived it, and I often wonder how the imaginary line of equality will be achieved without tilting the balance in the opposite direction (if it hasn't begun). I can also tell you that societies or generations who have been led to believe they are "entitled" tend to always believe they are entitled.

I get you man. Fish that are born in Mammoth Caves in Kentucky are born without eyes because there is nothing to see in the darkness of the caves. Can the same be said about generations of the oppressed? Can they not see that to achieve change, one must become the change they want to see. Kneeling won't eliminate rogue cops, nor will it stop black on black violence in the inner cities. Blacks need to join the police forces because they understand the "problem" and can work to bridge society and law enforcement. But it isn't the "cool" thing to do is it? It is much "cooler" to take a knee and become a modern day Harriet Tubman, or as I heard one black minister refer to Kapernick as " a modern day Mohammad Ali". He doesn't have to work at it. He expects others to carry the torch he lights.

Did you see what Tillman's wife said today?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...politicize-pat-in-effort-to-divide/106005404/
She gets it (and most likely so did Tillman).
I appreciate the post but it doesn't change the validity of what I posted. I find it interesting that "unite" has different meanings depending on perspective. Many, including you I think, believe that "unite" means to take the side of kneeling during the anthem, while others, such as myself, believe it means to stand for the anthem as myself and millions of others do.

I just heard today that the Ravens and Jaguars took a knee during the American National Anthem and stood up for the English Anthem "God Save the Queen". That burned my butt to a crisp. Both of those teams can go straight to HELL as far as I am concerned. I'm not an NFL fan at all, and never really have been for the most part but now I really hate the Jags and Ravens.

My family is biracial, so maybe I can see both sides. Black boys are good enough businessmen to know that selling drugs and robbery are tax free transactions. That is the root cause of most of their confrontations with police. We absolutely need to help these young men, we could start by giving them some more economic incentives to obey the law. However, Kap's girlfriend is a radical Muslim activist who was raised in Saudi Arabia. I'm pretty sure she was advocating an NFL boycott before she talked Kap into starting this. So now she's playing Kap and Trump at the same time. Chick is slick or lucky. Her motive is most likely to divide the country. If some other player had started taking a knee to protest the millions of American lives lost to abortion, i wonder how the NFL and media would have reacted.

My family is biracial, so maybe I can see both sides. Black boys are good enough businessmen to know that selling drugs and robbery are tax free transactions. That is the root cause of most of their confrontations with police. We absolutely need to help these young men, we could start by giving them some more economic incentives to obey the law. However, Kap's girlfriend is a radical Muslim activist who was raised in Saudi Arabia. I'm pretty sure she was advocating an NFL boycott before she talked Kap into starting this. So now she's playing Kap and Trump at the same time. Chick is slick or lucky. Her motive is most likely to divide the country. If some other player had started taking a knee to protest the millions of American lives lost to abortion, i wonder how the NFL and media would have reacted.

If the trim don't beat living in chains....then I don't know what will work as a more compelling incentive.

Also, all too common for a certain corner of society; thinking people should sit silent when they see obvious signs of racism.
there has been racism on this planet for 30k yrs..It wont change or stop because a few ignorant fools want to disgrace our nations anthem...No sane person likes racism...But sane people have the common sense to know you cannot legislate, regulate nor redistribute whats in the hearts of humans...The number of haters is diminishing with time, fellowship and enlightenment...But riling things up by accusing so many people of being racists on false claims and politically motivated bs will not help this situation 1 bit...There will be no positive result to these vile and disgraceful protests...It's driving decent people away from sports...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT