ADVERTISEMENT

Nikki, take that SOS banner down and put in museum

That banner is what did SOS in. Never tempt fate. Tanner coached baseball and should have known about superstitions as baseball players are some of the most superstious in sports :D

I can't think of any other high school, college, or pro football coach that would be conceited enough and arrogant enough to consent to having an 85' banner of him anywhere, especially on a stadium. Ya think that might have been a clue? He gets no admiration from me.

Agree with OzWizard. Celebrate the team and our accomplishments but not a single person. Exceptions obviously can be made. George has his statue but he did win the Heisman trophy afterall. I think it was well intended to honor Coach Spurrier but could be viewed as arrogance by outsiders.

Nikki and other politicos:

Keep your noses out of our football program!

I think it should come down.....maybe in the night with no one around. I imagine it will take some time and effort to do it....

Nikki's way too busy trying to get a job in DC to worry about anything going on in her home state.

Never should have gone up. I'm a Spurrier fan and think he deserves to be honored for his (overall) contributions to our program. However, that banner was/is ridiculous, imo. It will come down after this season is flushed. There's no value to future teams having a memorial like this one hanging 85 feet on the side of the stadium. I like the interior banners for superlative performance. Spurrier's name will still be seen, as it should be, until another coach earns the right to replace it.

Never should have gone up. I'm a Spurrier fan and think he deserves to be honored for his (overall) contributions to our program. However, that banner was/is ridiculous, imo. It will come down after this season is flushed. There's no value to future teams having a memorial like this one hanging 85 feet on the side of the stadium. I like the interior banners for superlative performance. Spurrier's name will still be seen, as it should be, until another coach earns the right to replace it.

IDK, He did great things for SC, but his accomplishment can be surpassed by a future coach. I think you only honor a coach for a longevity (like Beamer) or NC, not with a statue or by naming the field. IMO, his accomplishments (5 in a row, #3 ranking, bowl wins, beating #1 Bama, winningest coach in SC history etc) should be displayed somewhere on the concourse of the stadium or in the football offices / player meeting rooms. Those are great memories and worth remembering, but all are accomplishments that can be surpassed. I don't think you really want to want it out on the field for all to see..."Look at us, one time we were ranked #3." Besides, he ran off when the going got tough, but coached his player to never give up, which is exactly what he did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT