ADVERTISEMENT

NIL deal gone horribly wrong

ToddFlanders

Mar 30, 2007
JT Daniels signed a deal with a trading card company that could net him "seven figures" according to some reports. Well, he went from Heisman hopeful to riding the pine behind a very unheralded (yet effective) QB.

Unlike some other companies that are looking for advertising - the trading card company was looking for a direct return on investment by selling the cards with Daniels' signature. And really, look at the top three QB's coming into the season that signed big NIL deals: Rattler, Daniels and dj. Two on the bench and one that would be if clem had anyone else.

I still think NIL deals will be good for college athletics. Let the kids wet their beaks if they have the star power to do it. But I think water will find its level and the deals will really start to conform to market forces in future years.

JT Daniels signed a deal with a trading card company that could net him "seven figures" according to some reports. Well, he went from Heisman hopeful to riding the pine behind a very unheralded (yet effective) QB.

Unlike some other companies that are looking for advertising - the trading card company was looking for a direct return on investment by selling the cards with Daniels' signature. And really, look at the top three QB's coming into the season that signed big NIL deals: Rattler, Daniels and dj. Two on the bench and one that would be if clem had anyone else.

I still think NIL deals will be good for college athletics. Let the kids wet their beaks if they have the star power to do it. But I think water will find its level and the deals will really start to conform to market forces in future years.
I expect you are correct. Businesses don't become and remain successful by being repeatedly stupid.

I think the is a great example of how third party organizations will take a step back in NIL and it's really just going to be come fans of schools wanting to buy players for their school.

It's just too risky outside of the Tim Tebows.

Reactions: chief2791
I think the is a great example of how third party organizations will take a step back in NIL and it's really just going to be come fans of schools wanting to buy players for their school.

It's just too risky outside of the Tim Tebows.

I agree and it may take a few seasons for companies to have real data to determine their return on any given NIL dollar.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Agree. Even when you distill out the top 2% of college players who go pro, there are still a fair number of misses. With the NIL being new there was a lot of jumping on it to try and get ahead of the game, but it will probably eventually settle down to the real cream of the crop (Manning, etc).

I expect you are correct. Businesses don't become and remain successful by being repeatedly stupid.
Pro teams have a massive financial motivation to develop and stick with quarterbacks. That gives advertisers some cover. College teams can swap them out right and left with no such concern. As you guys point out, this is a different kind of market. It will probably veer toward the social media follower standard since that is a developed audience which will wane slower than the week to week notoriety.

Reactions: king ward

That was the prediction from the beginning from people not clutching their pearls. Paying random players sounds intriguing until you see no return on investment.

Reactions: uscwatson21
The players better take advantage now. Because it think this is the absolute to of the NIL window. Think it will shrunk dramatically as time goes on. Why? Little to no return on investment for these companies. You may like it that Bojangles is in with some Gamecock players. But it isn't going to make a bitnof difference to anyone when deciding what biscuit they want in the morning. Same rule applies for car dealers. Folks are going to fund the best deal. So they better take advantage now as I just don't see this developing into the program that would put decent bucks in every players pocket.

I agree. It will eventually whittle down mostly to boosters that are willing to give money just to pay players to play for their school and expect no return outside what they see on the field. The same folks that were paying before, under the table, but now they can do it without consequence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT