ADVERTISEMENT

NIL issue

TAV31

Sep 1, 2011
So I see there's "NIL agents" involved now. Not sure how it still keeps you eligible to play, but anyways. Basketball players are demanding more money on their NIL deals, or they will transfer. Apparently Miami has a guy that is buying players for several sports for them. This agent just told that guy to pony up more money or said player will transfer. All because the player thinks it's unfair what he's being paid vs what some of the new guys are getting.
***Btw, where F is our version of this Miami fan?????? We need someone to buy us players!!***

Sports are terrible now. Why am I still contributing when these kids can make more money than me. Surely they can pay for their own “education”

Reactions: drawplay000
Yeah this whole thing is getting ridiculous and pretty disgusting honestly.

I understand the players needing a slice of the pie I guess… But this is really all outside money, they aren’t getting any of the pie so to speak. The whole thing just seems like the wild wild West and I just can’t help but think it’s going to blow up in college sports face

Kids no longer care what school they represent it's all about the money, which is okay but there needs to be stipulations.. College football has become minor league NFL without the NFL having to spend a dime. If the NCAA or whatever governing body is in charge down the road they will have their hands full trying to regulate it. Don't be surprised when this MEGA Conference is formed you may see a college draft based on the region the kid lives in, which may not be a bad idea to keep the have's and have nots on equal terms.

So I see there's "NIL agents" involved now. Not sure how it still keeps you eligible to play, but anyways. Basketball players are demanding more money on their NIL deals, or they will transfer. Apparently Miami has a guy that is buying players for several sports for them. This agent just told that guy to pony up more money or said player will transfer. All because the player thinks it's unfair what he's being paid vs what some of the new guys are getting.
***Btw, where F is our version of this Miami fan?????? We need someone to buy us players!!***

Good for them.

I am glad to see kids getting paid and if they need people to represent them and help them- even better.

Just throw NIL on the pile of other trash that has been making college sports, especially football, worse over the past couple of decades. Locusts that don't love college sports...again, especially football...have had their diseased hands in rurning things, and have been vehemently supported by yapping idiots that are impressed by any shiny object you put in their face.

Reactions: drawplay000
I said a couple years back when this started to gain traction that this would present more problems than answers. And it is quickly getting out of hand. Truthfully, I don't see this NIL stuff lasting very long. The schools already hit up supporters and businesses for major bucks. Now they want folks to contribute money for this. Folks will give at first, but after a year or two, if you aren't making great strides with your program being a contender, folks are going to quit throwing good money after bad. But until that happens, players should have to sign contracts. They wanted a piece of the business side. They got it. Right now they have the best of both worlds. They can demand what they feel they need, or threaten to jump into the portal. Make them sign contracts. That's business. If you decide to enter the portal, that is fine. But when you do, you have to pay back every dime of NIL and scholarship money you made to date. Can't have it both ways.

What ever happened to the concussion issue? It just disappeared. Many said it would be the end of football as we know it. Hopefully, in a year or two and Emmert gone, this NIL will be a non-issue, too, after regulations are put in place, hopefully.

Kids no longer care what school they represent it's all about the money, which is okay but there needs to be stipulations.. College football has become minor league NFL without the NFL having to spend a dime. If the NCAA or whatever governing body is in charge down the road they will have their hands full trying to regulate it. Don't be surprised when this MEGA Conference is formed you may see a college draft based on the region the kid lives in, which may not be a bad idea to keep the have's and have nots on equal terms.

LOL

As if this is new.

The kids getting money sure does make some folks mad. Pathetic.

I would be all for a college draft. Put all eligible players in a pot and run down the line. It will take some restructuring of college football but I’m ok with that as well. We have to many teams in tier 1 that have no chance in hell at a championship. Take the power 5 or even try to cut it down some more and have a draft. SIGN ME UP. I like watching the nfl draft.

A college draft?

So the kid wouldn’t have a choice in where he went to school?

Maybe I’m not following what you mean but that seems like a really really really terrible idea when you consider the kid doesn’t get to choose a school

A college draft?

So the kid wouldn’t have a choice in where he went to school?

Maybe I’m not following what you mean but that seems like a really really really terrible idea when you consider the kid doesn’t get to choose a school
You heard me correctly. It these kids are going to the highest bidder, the academics at the school don’t matter. These kids get an education because they have to.

Yeah OK… Well I see what you’re angling, college is kind of turning into the pro game so we should model college after the pro game.

I feel like the NCAA really missed the boat when approving this without thinking it through a little bit more. Some of the obvious pitfalls of all of this are playing out now and I just feel like there should’ve been something put in place where the players can still get paid but in order to do so they have to hold up their end of the bargain at least to some degree. It just feels like there wasn’t much foresight put into this. The players are now in the catbird seat so to speak and why in the hell would they give that up easily? I think making changes now will be very hard to do it will involve many lawsuits if any of the “power“ that the student athlete currently has is diminished at all. Some may argue it shouldn’t be diminished, but I do think when you’re getting paid for something you have to hold up your end of the bargain in some sense to truly make it a two-way transaction

I think getting to a draft would be many many years down the road it would probably only be after some major overhaul at the NCAA and likely some legislation as well being involved.

Last edited:
What if the college didn't have the kid's preferred major? What if a kid grew up a Carolina fan, but was drafted by clemmons? What if the kid doesn't like the offensive or defensive scheme ran by that coach?

What if the college didn't have the kid's preferred major? What if a kid grew up a Carolina fan, but was drafted by clemmons? What if the kid doesn't like the offensive or defensive scheme ran by that coach?
Again if your going to the highest bidder none of those questions matter.

• Haha
Reactions: bill222
Again if your going to the highest bidder none of those questions matter.
Wait. Say the kid wants to major in journalism, but clemmons doesn't offer that major. Shouldn't they be able to go to the highest bidder with that major?

What’s laughable is you think the majority of these kids care about the education at all.

The kids that want to get rich care less than zero about the education. Money and hoes and clothes is all a player knows. I despise something that I loved so much as a kid.

What’s laughable is you think the majority of these kids care about the education at all.
If one school is offering $750,000 to play football for them, and another $400,000, yeah forget education. You can go back and get a masters and PHD after your NFL career is over or if you are an NFL bust. You have 3/4 of a million dollars banked. College football is no longer even close to amateur, it is a professional sport now.

Reactions: TAV31
Nothing I've posted would indicate what percentage of these kids I think cares about education. But even if it's just 1%, you think they should have no choice in where they go to school.

Sign NIL contract that includes non compete. Pretty standard business practice. You start as freshman. Get developed here, then jump….2 year non compete.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
Good for them.

I am glad to see kids getting paid and if they need people to represent them and help them- even better.
I knew you were DA based on your political views and beliefs that electric vehicles actually can work. But actually believing this is good for college sports definitely back that idea I had of you. Hahaha.

I knew you were DA based on your political views and beliefs that electric vehicles actually can work. But actually believing this is good for college sports definitely back that idea I had of you. Hahaha.
I hate to tell you but electric cars will work. Right now no but to say they won’t ever work is just crazy. We are just a little batter tech away. Who cares what’s good for the sport. You should be more concerned about the steep decline in children’s involvement in football if you are worried about the sport.

I hate to tell you but electric cars will work. Right now no but to say they won’t ever work is just crazy. We are just a little batter tech away. Who cares what’s good for the sport. You should be more concerned about the steep decline in children’s involvement in football if you are worried about the sport.
Electric will work for the city boy and such. It'll never work for the "working man". Farmers, truck drivers, construction work, etc... Every electric vehicle you guys have is charged by regular power. Can your head understand how that does nothing if you're still using standard power to get your car charged? Have you seen the mine work it takes to get the materials needed to make your electric car system work? If you think emissions from our vehicles, you're sadly mistaken. With the technology on our standard vehicles right now, emissions from them won't effect the earth for about 10,000 years. One day I assume us humans will figure out the power situation, but the current idea of electrical vehicles is not path to be taken.

Electric will work for the city boy and such. It'll never work for the "working man". Farmers, truck drivers, construction work, etc... Every electric vehicle you guys have is charged by regular power. Can your head understand how that does nothing if you're still using standard power to get your car charged? Have you seen the mine work it takes to get the materials needed to make your electric car system work? If you think emissions from our vehicles, you're sadly mistaken. With the technology on our standard vehicles right now, emissions from them won't effect the earth for about 10,000 years. One day I assume us humans will figure out the power situation, but the current idea of electrical vehicles is not path to be taken.
Your assuming lithium will be the only way. Diamond ion batteries are being studied right now. We may not be that far from that. I also disagree that it won’t work for farmers. With advancement in gps and robotics we are not that far away from unmanned farm equipment. Mater of fact some of it has been released. You can afford the time to charge batteries when your tractor runs 24/7 when it’s not charging.
People need to understand Rome wasn’t built in a day. The original combustion engine was not capable of powering a train, or a ship , or he’ll even a car for that matter. It is a sustainable alternative with a few advancements in technology wether you want to admit it or not.

Your assuming lithium will be the only way. Diamond ion batteries are being studied right now. We may not be that far from that. I also disagree that it won’t work for farmers. With advancement in gps and robotics we are not that far away from unmanned farm equipment. Mater of fact some of it has been released. You can afford the time to charge batteries when your tractor runs 24/7 when it’s not charging.
People need to understand Rome wasn’t built in a day. The original combustion engine was not capable of powering a train, or a ship , or he’ll even a car for that matter. It is a sustainable alternative with a few advancements in technology wether you want to admit it or not.
You can't afford it. I'm an estimator for construction projects anywhere from $1,000 to 15 million. Quick example.
Mini excavators which they do make electric now can only run approximately 2hrs after a 6hr charge(diesel generator). We work roughly 8-10hours per day on our equipment. I would need 3 pieces of equipment on the job site being rotated daily. $80,000 jobs become $150,000 jobs. Etc... There's nothing wrong with science trying their best to find better ways. It's just not going to be realistic in my life time.
As for farming, I know several in the Dakota's that have 10-50,000 acres they farm. Some have had these machines out for test runs on their properties. These machines have issues running into random old fence post, rocks/boulders, etc. The sensors work decently but still not like a human. These farmers can also purchase 3 pieces of equipment for the cost of one of these new machines.

You can't afford it. I'm an estimator for construction projects anywhere from $1,000 to 15 million. Quick example.
Mini excavators which they do make electric now can only run approximately 2hrs after a 6hr charge(diesel generator). We work roughly 8-10hours per day on our equipment. I would need 3 pieces of equipment on the job site being rotated daily. $80,000 jobs become $150,000 jobs. Etc... There's nothing wrong with science trying their best to find better ways. It's just not going to be realistic in my life time.
As for farming, I know several in the Dakota's that have 10-50,000 acres they farm. Some have had these machines out for test runs on their properties. These machines have issues running into random old fence post, rocks/boulders, etc. The sensors work decently but still not like a human. These farmers can also purchase 3 pieces of equipment for the cost of one of these new machines.
Again your speaking currently, I’m not. With battery advancements you may not need 3 pieces of equipment. If diamond ion batteries can be fully efficient we are talking you can run for days not hours.

Again your speaking currently, I’m not. With battery advancements you may not need 3 pieces of equipment. If diamond ion batteries can be fully efficient we are talking you can run for days not hours.
Do you have to charge these diamond ion batteries? If so what provides said power? Nuclear power? Fossil fuels? How exactly is that a better alternative.

Great discussion by Clark Howard of electric cars and how much better they are now, the advantages, and the quickening pace of the industry.

I remember the first time I saw an HDTV. It was on display at the state fair in Columbia. For some odd reason, the tv was very heavy and it there was sign up telling people not to touch the tv because of its weight. The guy there was telling people that one day these things would be the favored product.

I remember the first time I saw an HDTV. It was on display at the state fair in Columbia. For some odd reason, the tv was very heavy and it there was sign up telling people not to touch the tv because of its weight. The guy there was telling people that one day these things would be the favored product.
And it was probably a 10,000 dollar plus tv. And had the govt subsidized it so the public could afford it, it would cost at least that much today. So here we are with EVs. And the govt is here to help. Smdh

Just throw NIL on the pile of other trash that has been making college sports, especially football, worse over the past couple of decades. Locusts that don't love college sports...again, especially football...have had their diseased hands in rurning things, and have been vehemently supported by yapping idiots that are impressed by any shiny object you put in their face.
Regulations are likely, but in the short term the NIL money will move us closer to competing with CU and UGA. That is my shiny object,

And it was probably a 10,000 dollar plus tv. And had the govt subsidized it so the public could afford it, it would cost at least that much today. So here we are with EVs. And the govt is here to help. Smdh

No idea. Didn't have a cost associated with it. But people loved it and they started buying them and the price went down- and they got better

that's the same thing that has happened to many products. EVs will be no different.

Of course that is not unusual. Even many of the Founders (Madison, Washington, Franklin and others) supported government subsidizing new industry (newspapers for an example).

The government doesn't make anything cheaper. They just shift costs to others, mostly future generations, usually with a premium attached.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucketdad

He's probably speak about "currently" because his work is "current", and you can't work today based on what might happen in the future with something that is being "studied".

He's probably speak about "currently" because his work is "current", and you can't work today based on what might happen in the future with something that is being "studied"

Obviously you didn’t read his quote and if you did, you might want to rethink that reading comprehension. He said “will work” and “it will never work”. I’m not really sure how that’s speaking presently.

Last edited:
A few issues I see with NIL

-- Who is reading the leaglese and vetting these deals that the player signs with a business? I have a feeling there are plenty of sleezy business people out there who have put clauses in these NIL deals that these kids are not reading or do no understand. What if they put in a clause that says if you get hurt, you don't get paid? A clause that says if you are academically ineligible, you don't get paid? If you get convicted of a crime, you don't get paid and you need to pay us back they money you received? These are just a few things that can be in these contracts. Where is the oversight?

Plenty of things the government has nothing to do with also see price increases.

That's not the point. Government made Teslas $7500 "cheaper". Except they weren't really cheaper. Still cost the same. Just charged that discount to the credit card of future generations, with a ton of interest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT