ADVERTISEMENT

Nine Game SEC Schedule With Only Three Permanent Opponents Gaining Traction

king ward

Aug 10, 1999
Lancaster, SC
And in Paragraph Five, the possibility is floated that Texas and OU could possibly enter the league in '24.

I like the idea of nine league games and rotating opponents rapidly.

Reactions: Ward Jr
And in Paragraph Five, the possibility is floated that Texas and OU could possibly enter the league in '24.

I like the idea of nine league games and rotating opponents rapidly.

Sounds good on the surface, but unless it means dropping clemson, the schedule loses a patsy, and bowl eligibility is threatened some years.

Not saying it's a good reason not to do it, just pointing out a possible unintended consequence.

I like it. Better value for the money. I’m guessing bowl criteria would change. Most bowls would rather have a 500 SEC team then a 6 win - ACC or any other low tier conference

Reactions: king ward
I like it. Better value for the money. I’m guessing bowl criteria would change. Most bowls would rather have a 500 SEC team then a 6 win - ACC or any other low tier conference

500 would be a shoe in, I was speaking of those years when a 500 team (6-6) would lose an easy win and end up 5-7.

Sounds good on the surface, but unless it means dropping clemson, the schedule loses a patsy, and bowl eligibility is threatened some years.

Not saying it's a good reason not to do it, just pointing out a possible unintended consequence.

Everyone's schedule is going to get tougher.

Reactions: bucketdad
Everyone's schedule is going to get tougher.

True, but only those teams on the edge (and that lose that extra game) will be affected.

Unless they do like I think, and just make "exceptions" for 5-7 teams.

Edit: Maybe I should clarify. Some of the 9 win teams will be 8 win teams, and 8 win teams will be 7 win teams because of this. You're right, everyone's schedule gets tougher. I'm just thinking of that small sample of 6 win teams that trade a win over Georgia state for a loss to ole miss and end up with only 5 wins.

A rare thing, but it could bite a couple teams a year.

Last edited:
True, but only those teams on the edge (and that lose that extra game) will be affected.

Unless they do like I think, and just make "exceptions" for 5-7 teams.

Edit: Maybe I should clarify. Some of the 9 win teams will be 8 win teams, and 8 win teams will be 7 win teams because of this. You're right, everyone's schedule gets tougher. I'm just thinking of that small sample of 6 win teams that trade a win over Georgia state for a loss to ole miss and end up with only 5 wins.

A rare thing, but it could bite a couple teams a year.
Might as well gird your loins; it's coming.

Reactions: Lurker123
Agreed it makes things more difficult on SC. Most SEC programs have their rivalry game built into the SEC. SC doesn't have that luxury. Doubt most SEC teams would look forward to 9 conferences games, in addition to an outside game with a perennial top 5 program each year.

Agreed it makes things more difficult on SC. Most SEC programs have their rivalry game built into the SEC. SC doesn't have that luxury. Doubt most SEC teams would look forward to 9 conferences games, in addition to an outside game with a perennial top 5 program each year.
The toughest league in the land shouldn't be a bunch of wusses

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fine with 9 SEC games if tateru counts as our 9th SEC game. So they need to man up and join the SEC.

I’m curious to this as well. It’s time for all teams to stop playing these cupcake teams like furman and the citadel. A 9 conference schedule still leaves 3 spots to fill. Clemson is one and that leaves 2 more.

I would not want to put words in anyone's mouth, so this is my assumption. But to argue to drop clemson could be from a standpoint of losing home game revenue every other year, or the schedule difficulty if its anticipated being that team that's on the edge of bowl eligibility.

I think a 9 game SEC schedule will happen, but see some opposition for the three permanent opponents aspect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT