ADVERTISEMENT

NIT Rule Change

Cocky_11

Jan 31, 2014
Make it more watchable and keep teams from declining to play. The winner of the NIT gets automatic bid for next years NCAA Tournament. Sounds stupid but why not? They are changing the rules in every sport anyway.

Make it more watchable and keep teams from declining to play. The winner of the NIT gets automatic bid for next years NCAA Tournament. Sounds stupid but why not? They are changing the rules in every sport anyway.

Yeah, I like to see a 6-20 team get an automatic bid for next years NCAA Tournament...

I'm all for it...

Why work hard when you know you have an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament...

Ha yea, they could play cards in a corner of the court every game during the reg season and still have a shot to win the National Championship.

Reactions: king ward
I have a better idea. Discontinue the NIT! It will never be watchable. Even tough to watch when my gamecocks are playing.

1. Go back to the field of 64 in the NCAA Tourney. Delay the start of the NCAA by a week.
2. Invite 64 teams to the NIT.
3. NIT only plays 2 rounds, down to their Sweet Sixteen.
4. Those 16 teams get added to the NCAA Tourney field, which would now be 80 teams.
5. This wouldn't lengthen the NCAA tournament, it would just mean more "play-in" games.

Or, better yet...

1. 64 team field in NCAA.
2. The other 287 Division 1 teams play in the new 'NIT'. This would need 1 round of 'play-in' games for the last 31 teams, then play three full rounds, down to 32 NIT teams.
3. Those 32 teams are added to the NCAA field, now 96 teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: funktavious
1. Go back to the field of 64 in the NCAA Tourney. Delay the start of the NCAA by a week.
4. Those 16 teams get added to the NCAA Tourney field, which would now be 80 teams.
5. This wouldn't lengthen the NCAA tournament, it would just mean more "play-in" games.

Or, better yet...

2. The other 287 Division 1 teams play in the new 'NIT'. This would need 1 round of 'play-in' games for the last 31 teams, then play three full rounds, down to 32 NIT teams.

Regular season would become almost meaningless, kind of like the NBA.

Just like with the TBS disaster airing the selection show Sunday, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Big dance ain’t broke, and I don’t care if the NIT is or not.

Well then why doesn't the NCAA champ get an automatic bid to the dance the next season as well?

Why not make the winner of the conference tourney's eligible for the next year's NCAA tournament but skip the current year? Does that sound stupid?

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Cut the NIT altogether. Cut the number of teams back to 48. Eliminate all of the lower level teams, like the Fairfield, Lipscombs, SoCon champ, and all the other lower level leagues that don't have a prayer to advance anywhere close to the final four. Start another deal for them much like 1AA in football. Yea, you are going to have the very rare upset by one of these teams, but 99% of the time they are usually just practice fodder for the power teams.

Reactions: apex73
I say use computers for the NCAA tournament. Let it take in RPI, SOS, and all other variables. It eliminates those unintentional bias that is natural with a human being. That is the only true way of getting in the "best" 64 teams in. Let the computer system have 65 to whatever to fill the NIT.

I say use computers for the NCAA tournament. Let it take in RPI, SOS, and all other variables. It eliminates those unintentional bias that is natural with a human being. That is the only true way of getting in the "best" 64 teams in. Let the computer system have 65 to whatever to fill the NIT.

Yes, because everyone was so pleased with the BCS computer results.

Or, better yet...

Or the NCAA could just invite 80 teams and not have to mess with the NIT

Or the NCAA could just invite 80 teams and not have to mess with the NIT
I think some variation of this proposal is the most workable. 80 teams get invited to the dance. The top 16 teams get byes through the first two rounds. The other 64 play two rounds for the right to match up against the top 16.

That does several things: 1) Creates enough space in the tournament to allow for a small-conference team that was dominant during the season but failed to win its conference tournament, 2) Rewards a strong regular season by giving a meaningful advantage to the top 16 teams, and 3) Avoids the boring blowouts typically seen during the first round between #1 and #16 seeds.

That will mean some deserving team will have to give up a slot to last years NIT winner? Sounds like a participation trophy to me to make the NIT credible. Ain't buying it.
Deserving teams are not selected every year. So, what difference does it make?

It doesn't really matter in the long run. Anybody with a legitimate chance to win the whole thing isn't on the bubble. Having 64 is nothing more than a money grab for more games but the NCAA. I'm actually surprised they haven't expanded it further to cash in on the drama of "anything can happen" as you have NC A&T, Western Carolina, and VMI, being Duke's opponents in the first three rounds until things start to get a bit more serious.

Maybe there is a Vince McMahon option. WWE buys the NIT, Vince tweaks a few rules, finds a legal way to offer huge money to the NIT teams/final four/champs, schools start turning down the NCAA, and Duke vs Kentucky for the 2020NIT Championship.

Taters showed everyone the easy way to making post season.

Just drop down to lower level conference . Add 1 -2 quality outside conference games and rest your players the rest the way, pimp the hell out of PR

I think some variation of this proposal is the most workable. 80 teams get invited to the dance. The top 16 teams get byes through the first two rounds. The other 64 play two rounds for the right to match up against the top 16.

That does several things: 1) Creates enough space in the tournament to allow for a small-conference team that was dominant during the season but failed to win its conference tournament, 2) Rewards a strong regular season by giving a meaningful advantage to the top 16 teams, and 3) Avoids the boring blowouts typically seen during the first round between #1 and #16 seeds.

Not a bad idea at all

NIT makes money for the NCAA, its not going anywhere, and makes for a handy guinea pig for them to test different "stuff".

Big Dance makes tons of $$$ for the NCAA, they will forever tweek play ins & crap to their benefit. Selling out games in Dayton (stupid IMO), but don't be surprised when they add another 4 and call it the EARLY 8, but as long as we can feed the
ALL KNOWING ncaa some more money for our (athletes ? :rolleyes:)
isn't this a good thing.........

Time to just enjoy the games, pull for the cinderella stories, great finishes, and HOPEFULLY a non blue school winning it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT