ADVERTISEMENT

No Carolina Clemson Baseball Thread?

I wonder what we will be ranked now? A lot of teams lost that was ranked ahead of us. Of course Ucla is 4-3 and will still be in the top 10. West coast bias

Today was a RBI single to right center. Last night was a RBI double to right center.....

I probably should have added to this - it was understandable to think Eyster's walk-off hit yesterday (Sunday) was a double, because he seemed to stop at 2B and was mobbed there by the team as it slowly moved into the outfield.

Eyster was on his way to 2B, but the Clemson outfielder stopped attempting to gather the ball as he knew he'd never throw Allen out at the plate. So with the Tiger outfield essentially giving up the conclusion, Eyster slowed down just shy of 2B, and may have never actually stepped foot on it. But it ultimately didn't matter, because before he did touch 2B, Allen had already crossed the plate scoring the go-ahead run in the bottom 9th, and when that happens by rule the game has ended, and nothing that happens after that is official. Had Eyster stepped on 2B BEFORE Allen touched home, then it would have been an official double.

So, basically what I am saying is, Eyster's walk-off hit yesterday was 95% a double, but officially was a single......

I probably should have added to this - it was understandable to think Eyster's walk-off hit yesterday (Sunday) was a double, because he seemed to stop at 2B and was mobbed there by the team as it slowly moved into the outfield.

Eyster was on his way to 2B, but the Clemson outfielder stopped attempting to gather the ball as he knew he'd never throw Allen out at the plate. So with the Tiger outfield essentially giving up the conclusion, Eyster slowed down just shy of 2B, and may have never actually stepped foot on it. But it ultimately didn't matter, because before he did touch 2B, Allen had already crossed the plate scoring the go-ahead run in the bottom 9th, and when that happens by rule the game has ended, and nothing that happens after that is official. Had Eyster stepped on 2B BEFORE Allen touched home, then it would have been an official double.

So, basically what I am saying is, Eyster's walk-off hit yesterday was 95% a double, but officially was a single......

He stepped on 2B. There's video of it.

I wonder what we will be ranked now? A lot of teams lost that was ranked ahead of us. Of course Ucla is 4-3 and will still be in the top 10. West coast bias
Certainly, we'd like to be ranked high enough to host a regional and maybe a super, but of course, it's only the final ranking which really matters.

He stepped on 2B. There's video of it.

I was initially confused when the videographer (or whatever the title the person who's in charge of on-screen displays is called) put up "home run" and Eyster stopped at second.

Theoretically, could he have continued running and crossed home plate? Now I know that doing so would be considered "bad form/poor sportsmanship". Just curious from a technical rules aspect.

Bat Girl! Yell
Oot oot 😎
I was standing above the Clemson Bullpen the entire game. I stopped there on the way in and we tied it up. So I couldn't leave. I kept waiting for one of them to say something to me as I was cheering. They were good. But when I started cheering (ok...screaming) when Eyster hit the ball, they all turned around to look at me.

I was initially confused when the videographer (or whatever the title the person who's in charge of on-screen displays is called) put up "home run" and Eyster stopped at second.

Theoretically, could he have continued running and crossed home plate? Now I know that doing so would be considered "bad form/poor sportsmanship". Just curious from a technical rules aspect.
It looked like it landed in the Bullpen at first. I thought the same until I saw the ball come back onto the grass.

Theoretically it would not have counted. From the video, it does look like a home run mostly because the Clemson outfielder gave up like it was a HR. But it apparently just hit against the outfield fence on the field side, and fell at the base of the fence.

From the rules, anything hit inside the park and within the sideline boundaries is a live ball and in play. Anything hit outside of the park is a dead ball and out of play. A ball that's hit out of the park but within the foul lines is dead - a player cannot jump the outfield fence and go run down the ball and bring it back into play.

But if it IS hit, by rule ALL players on the base-paths score. Even if it takes place in the bottom 9th and only 1 or 2 runs are needed to win the game. When the ball was hit, it was a LIVE ball and ALL actions from it are live and therefore in play, including clearing the bases of all players.

But say the batting team is down by 2 runs in the bottom 9th, and the batter hits a ball that stays in the park with the bases loaded, but it is waay over in the corner and the outfielder's trying but having troubles getting the ball to throw it back in. Technically, the batter could possibly round all the bases, and score to make it an inside-the-park HR.

But his team only needs THREE runs to win the game. And because it was NOT hit outside of the park (over the outfield wall), but is still inside the park, in order for all base-runners to score, they need to round the bases.

These are ALL "live-ball" actions: the man on 3B needs to cross home, the man on 2B needs to cross 3B then cross home, the man on 1B needs to cross 2B, 3B, and then home, and the batter needs to cross all the bases and then home in order to score.

But BY RULE, once the winning run scores in the bottom 9th, the game has concluded, and ANY actions that take place after that are moot.

So, in such a game scenario, the man on 3B scores, the man on 2B scores, and the man on 1B scores, but the batter don't matter anymore - even if they had the chance to score too on an inside-the-park home run. The outfield has the chance to gather the hit ball, and throw it back into the infield, and tag the players out at home, to stay in the game. Because UNTIL the winning run scores, the game is still live, and the play in the park is a live-action play.

So the winning team in that scenario only wins by 1 run. But if the same batter hit an actual home-run out of the park instead of the inside-the-park HR, they would have won by 2 runs instead of just 1, because the rule says an official home run clears and scores ALL men on base including the batter when it happens. There are separate rules that say they must touch all bases as they round, and cannot pass any runners ahead of them, but otherwise they all score even if runners who score ahead of them score the winning run.....

Last edited:
Reactions: atl-cock
I was standing above the Clemson Bullpen the entire game. I stopped there on the way in and we tied it up. So I couldn't leave. I kept waiting for one of them to say something to me as I was cheering. They were good. But when I started cheering (ok...screaming) when Eyster hit the ball, they all turned around to look at me.

When we came in we walked up to the security guard and said, hey keep your eyes on the boys in Urange, just loud enough for them to turn around and see us wave. we were pretty close to the cooler on 3rd base line with cold sweet Heineken.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Theoretically it would not have counted. From the video, it does look like a home run mostly because the Clemson outfielder gave up like it was a HR. But it apparently just hit against the outfield fence on the field side, and fell at the base of the fence.

From the rules, anything hit inside the park and within the sideline boundaries is a live ball and in play. Anything hit outside of the park is a dead ball and out of play. A ball that's hit out of the park but within the foul lines is dead - a player cannot jump the outfield fence and go run down the ball and bring it back into play.

But if it IS hit, by rule ALL players on the base-paths score. Even if it takes place in the bottom 9th and only 1 or 2 runs are needed to win the game. When the ball was hit, it was a LIVE ball and ALL actions from it are live and therefore in play, including clearing the bases of all players.

But say the batting team is down by 2 runs in the bottom 9th, and the batter hits a ball that stays in the park with the bases loaded, but it is waay over in the corner and the outfielder's trying but having troubles getting the ball to throw it back in. Technically, the batter could possibly round all the bases, and score to make it an inside-the-park HR.

But his team only needs THREE runs to win the game. And because it was NOT hit outside of the park (over the outfield wall), but is still inside the park, in order for all base-runners to score, they need to round the bases.

These are ALL "live-ball" actions: the man on 3B needs to cross home, the man on 2B needs to cross 3B then cross home, the man on 1B needs to cross 2B, 3B, and then home, and the batter needs to cross all the bases and then home in order to score.

But BY RULE, once the winning run scores in the bottom 9th, the game has concluded, and ANY actions that take place after that are moot.

So, in such a game scenario, the man on 3B scores, the man on 2B scores, and the man on 1B scores, but the batter don't matter anymore - even if they had the chance to score too on an inside-the-park home run. The outfield has the chance to gather the hit ball, and throw it back into the infield, and tag the players out at home, to stay in the game. Because UNTIL the winning run scores, the game is still live, and the play in the park is a live-action play.

So the winning team in that scenario only wins by 1 run. But if the same batter hit an actual home-run out of the park instead of the inside-the-park HR, they would have won by 2 runs instead of just 1, because the rule says an official home run clears and scores ALL men on base including the batter when it happens. There are separate rules that say they must touch all bases as they round, and cannot pass any runners ahead of them, but otherwise they all score even if runners who score ahead of them score the winning run.....
Thanks for the clarification.👍

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT