ADVERTISEMENT

No patrons or guests at The Masters this Fall

Golf is the one sport where I don't think the presence of fans really matters at all. I guess NASCAR as well.

I will say if you have ever been there, hearing the roar of the crowd in a distance is really great. Remember as a child, you could tell an "Arnie"yell etc.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Golf is the one sport where I don't think the presence of fans really matters at all. I guess NASCAR as well.
I generally agree with your comment about the presence of fans doesn't really matter for Golf but the Masters is the exception.

I've been to the Masters once. I have to say it may the most overrated sporting event for spectators I've attended. I'll be watching in the comfort of my living room the rest of my lifetime.

Very disappointed but understand.

our family had 6 tourney badges this year. We usually have 4. Oh well. Wait until April.

I think a crowd would have added a lot to this past Sunday. This Masters wasn't going to be the same anyway, no azaleas or dogwoods. Who knows what the course will be like (I mean I'm sure it will be nice but will it be overseed, painted greens, ????)

I've been to the Masters once. I have to say it may the most overrated sporting event for spectators I've attended. I'll be watching in the comfort of my living room the rest of my lifetime.
Yup. Attending golf tournaments is the suck.

You’re better off just watching the players warm up on the driving range for a while, hitting the merchandise tents and then heading on home.

I think a crowd would have added a lot to this past Sunday. This Masters wasn't going to be the same anyway, no azaleas or dogwoods. Who knows what the course will be like (I mean I'm sure it will be nice but will it be overseed, painted greens, ????)

My first thought was the flowers won't be in bloom, REALLY adds to the experience at Augusta National. I've been to two practice rounds, and if you've never gone inside the gate, and get a chance, I highly recommend the experience. Washington Road is much like Harbison in Irmo. Motels, fast food, grocery stores, and strip malls. Little do you know what lies ahead once you've entered.

I'd compare it to Dorothy and Oz. Greenest grass you've ever seen, zero trash, beautiful flowers, and VERY reasonable concession prices. Beer, sandwiches, snacks, soft drinks are all very affordable.

The course is much hillier than it appears on TV. Holes number #2,10, 15, and 18 are pretty steep. Hole #11 begins on a hill but flows down into somewhat of a flat area, #12, 13...

Just a lovely place nestled on a very ordinary road. Worth the trip imo.

I agree with most, crowds aren't that important in golf, but The Masters and the Waste Management tournament in Arizona are the exceptions.

As a person who has attended several professional golf events, including the Masters, I can tell you that galleries of the size and responsiveness of those that attend most PGA events, and particularly golf's major championships, matter. In no sport does the spectator get as close to the contestant as in golf. Sometimes they get uncomfortably close. Sometimes someone moves at the wrong time or makes noise at the wrong time. There is really no physical barrier besides the ropes. Galleries matter.

My first thought was the flowers won't be in bloom, REALLY adds to the experience at Augusta National. I've been to two practice rounds, and if you've never gone inside the gate, and get a chance, I highly recommend the experience. Washington Road is much like Harbison in Irmo. Motels, fast food, grocery stores, and strip malls. Little do you know what lies ahead once you've entered.

I'd compare it to Dorothy and Oz. Greenest grass you've ever seen, zero trash, beautiful flowers, and VERY reasonable concession prices. Beer, sandwiches, snacks, soft drinks are all very affordable.

The course is much hillier than it appears on TV. Holes number #2,10, 15, and 18 are pretty steep. Hole #11 begins on a hill but flows down into somewhat of a flat area, #12, 13...

Just a lovely place nestled on a very ordinary road. Worth the trip imo.

I agree with most, crowds aren't that important in golf, but The Masters and the Waste Management tournament in Arizona are the exceptions.
I'm betting some kind of flower plants etc will be seen. With their money they can make things happen. Who knows, they probably have a high tech greenhouse built, LOL.

I'm betting some kind of flower plants etc will be seen. With their money they can make things happen. Who knows, they probably have a high tech greenhouse built, LOL.
They won't be able to put plants on the course where all the spring plants are. But I'll bet that founder's circle in front of the clubhouse will be awash with fall plants. I also expect them to dye Rae's Creek.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbouton2
Over rated, Wow? The crowd participation makes the tournament.
Your different than me, I'm sure you don't mind being in a black Friday crowd. I hate being elbow to elbow, and smelling what the person had to eat while their breathing down my neck. Tight crowds aren't my thing.

Some players like Tiger feeds off of the fans and intimidates others.like the 6th man in basketball.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
ADVERTISEMENT