ADVERTISEMENT

Not one single Extra Dime!!!!!!

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
With the NCAA allowing player to be paid....

Not one single extra dime should be going players...

They are already being paid with scholarships....

When you're a parent sending non-athlete student and you're paying tuition at any college, these players (football & basketball) don't need the extra money!

They are already getting by receiving free scholarships money...

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

When you're a parent sending non-athlete student and you're paying tuition at any college, these players (football & basketball) don't need the extra money!

I'm with you in spirit, but given that they aren't allowed to work for spending money, I'd give them a very small amount of money.

I'm with you in spirit, but given that they aren't allowed to work for spending money, I'd give them a very small amount of money.

That is a big misconception in college sports. Athletes are allowed to hold jobs. It's just that their schedules usually don't allow ample time for it. But, I agree that they should not get further payment. They already get a stipend that they can spend as they see fit. If they aren't smart enough to figure out how to make it last, what makes anyone think that they won't do the same with extra payment they receive?

That is a big misconception in college sports. Athletes are allowed to hold jobs. It's just that their schedules usually don't allow ample time for it. But, I agree that they should not get further payment. They already get a stipend that they can spend as they see fit. If they aren't smart enough to figure out how to make it last, what makes anyone think that they won't do the same with extra payment they receive?

I thought they couldn't have jobs to prevent boosters from paying exorbitant wages.

Do they really already get a stipend? How much are we talking about? Potential stipends to players has been in the news a fair amount over the past year. Or are you talking about a small stipend during a road trip? I have no idea what I'm talking about obviously so I'm not arguing, just asking.

They can hold jobs, but they cannot be paid more than someone else in the same job with the same experience and cannot be given extra perks. Their rate of pay has to be inline with the market for said job in that area. Jobs/internships/etc held by athletes are approved and monitored by the Compliance Office.

The stipend is part of their scholarship. Per diem monies for road trips is extra. If they are smart, these monies can add up in a semester.

The "pay for play" argument is for extra pay outside of the stipend that is included in their scholarship, and lets be honest is really just for football players. Mainly because their workout and practice schedules now essentially are year round. BUT, folks aren't taking into consideration Title IX when they talk about this. There is NO WAY the Title IX folks are going to agree that football players should be paid more than a sand volleyball player, no matter how many graphs, studies, reports you present that shows that football pays for everything anyway. Of course, this goes back to the misapplication of Title IX at the collegiate level by including football, a sport that does not have a women's equivalent, in the scholarship number calculations. I'm all for equality, but you don't achieve it by unfairly penalizing one side in favor of the other. But that's another topic for another day.

They can hold jobs, but they cannot be paid more than someone else in the same job with the same experience and cannot be given extra perks. Their rate of pay has to be inline with the market for said job in that area. Jobs/internships/etc held by athletes are approved and monitored by the Compliance Office.

The stipend is part of their scholarship. Per diem monies for road trips is extra. If they are smart, these monies can add up in a semester.

The "pay for play" argument is for extra pay outside of the stipend that is included in their scholarship, and lets be honest is really just for football players. Mainly because their workout and practice schedules now essentially are year round. BUT, folks aren't taking into consideration Title IX when they talk about this. There is NO WAY the Title IX folks are going to agree that football players should be paid more than a sand volleyball player, no matter how many graphs, studies, reports you present that shows that football pays for everything anyway. Of course, this goes back to the misapplication of Title IX at the collegiate level by including football, a sport that does not have a women's equivalent, in the scholarship number calculations. I'm all for equality, but you don't achieve it by unfairly penalizing one side in favor of the other. But that's another topic for another day.

Also, with this pay to play, schools are cutting out other programs to pay for this pay to play...

College of Charleston just shut down their swim program for both men & women's. They made the announcement the evening before a swim meet with USC. I can tell, the swimmers weren't really swimming with heart and who can blame them.

Carolina is the only D1 school with a major swim team program, the other is Columbia College, they just started their program this past fall..

Co-sign

Also, with this pay to play, schools are cutting out other programs to pay for this pay to play...

College of Charleston just shut down their swim program for both men & women's. They made the announcement the evening before a swim meet with USC. I can tell, the swimmers weren't really swimming with heart and who can blame them.

Carolina is the only D1 school with a major swim team program, the other is Columbia College, they just started their program this past fall..

CofC disbanded swim b/c of the cost of the upkeep of the very old pool. It was not due to pay for play, which has not been approved as of today.
http://www.counton2.com/story/27380580/cofcs-aquatics-hopes-still-afloat

I think Football players should be paid over and above all other sports
I think Football players should be paid over and above all other sports. Pay the teams based on revenue. You did see the incredible payment we just received from the SEC?

CofC disbanded swim b/c of the cost of the upkeep of the very old pool. It was not due to pay for play, which has not been approved as of today.
http://www.counton2.com/story/27380580/cofcs-aquatics-hopes-still-afloat

I don't buy it... The announcement from the NCAA and shorty after that, then CofC made their announcement.

We were talking about this with the coaches before the meet and this was mention. The CofC AD may say it's the cost of upkeep, but when you live on the coast and have a strong USA swimming programsin the area and State, saying upkeep of the pool is a copout...

They could host year round swimming in both short and long course to make the money back for renovations.

I think Football players should be paid over and above all other sports

I think Football players should be paid over and above all other sports. Pay the teams based on revenue. You did see the incredible payment we just received from the SEC?
Again...tell the Title IX folks that. See how far you get. As long as the NCAA continues to screw men's sports in their application of Title IX, you won't see that happening.

Last edited:

The NCAA has not yet approved "pay for play" yet. They have changed rules regarding meal limits, and allowing parents' travel to be paid for to championships in football and basketball, but actually paying players monies, outside of their regular stipend that is part of their scholarship, has not been approved as of today. Was just on the NCAA website and have yet to find a change to that rule.

Let's look at it this way, though. Football players bring in a ton of revenue for schools through their hard work (hours upon hours of weightlifting, practice, meetings, etc.). In these aspects, it's very similar to an employee working for a company. If your employer offered to give you housing, provide your meals and provide you with a free education, but not pay you a dime more, would you sign on for that?

Let's look at it this way, though. Football players bring in a ton of revenue for schools through their hard work (hours upon hours of weightlifting, practice, meetings, etc.). In these aspects, it's very similar to an employee working for a company. If your employer offered to give you housing, provide your meals and provide you with a free education, but not pay you a dime more, would you sign on for that?

Not the same, students and parents pay tons of money to the school and subsidize other students who end up playing for the school.

In order for students to get academic scholarship to help cover some of the cost, they have to put in the hard work of keeping a higher GPA, while working a part time job. Some students have to work more than one or two jobs to make ends meet while going to school...

Hours upon hours of weightlifting, practice, meetings, etc. is nothing compare to what students have to do to get academic scholarship and working a job at the same time.

Reactions: jblanken64
Not the same, students and parents pay tons of money to the school and subsidize other students who end up playing for the school.

In order for students to get academic scholarship to help cover some of the cost, they have to put in the hard work of keeping a higher GPA, while working a part time job. Some students have to work more than one or two jobs to make ends meet while going to school...

Hours upon hours of weightlifting, practice, meetings, etc. is nothing compare to what students have to do to get academic scholarship and working a job at the same time.

But how much revenue does a non-athlete generate for the school? General students are not providing a service to the institution; football players help bankroll it. I had academic scholarships, maintained them all the way through, and I worked a part-time job during undergrad and 2 jobs during grad school ... my friends who were athletes had still much more rigorous, demanding schedules than I did. I am not sure you understand all of the hours they dedicate far beyond the NCAA practice limits, for training on their own, film study etc.

Reactions: yankacock
But how much revenue does a non-athlete generate for the school? General students are not providing a service to the institution; football players help bankroll it. I had academic scholarships, maintained them all the way through, and I worked a part-time job during undergrad and 2 jobs during grad school ... my friends who were athletes had still much more rigorous, demanding schedules than I did. I am not sure you understand all of the hours they dedicate far beyond the NCAA practice limits, for training on their own, film study etc.

But how much revenue does a non-athlete generate for the school? General students are not providing a service to the institution;

Here's your answer: They keep the student-athlete in school.

Without General students, the school loses its revenue and scholarship if student-athlete fail out...

BECOME A SUBJECT TUTOR

http://www.chem.sc.edu/about/jobpostings/outsidejobopenings/enrichmentcentertutors.pdf

Don't degrade students!

Last edited:

"I called her a two bit whore & she then hit me w/ a sack of quarters!"
................................................................................................................................................

The connection between coach earnings and the compensation of revenue-producing athletes was not lost
on University of South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier who developed a
proposal to provide a stipend to players on a per game basis that garnered support from Alabama's Saban, Florida's Muschamp, LSU's Miles, Mississippi's Nutt & Mississippi State's Mullen, etc

A bunch of us coaches felt so strongly about it that we would be willing to pay it 70 guys, 300 bucks a

gamme," Spurrier said. "That's only $21,000 a game. I doubt it will get passed, but as coaches in the SEC,
we make all the money as do universities, television.

Spurrier went on to say that "People don't realize that most football players come from

underprivileged homes. My plan was meant to show that I believe our players deserve more expense

money to be more like the average college student."

.................................................................................................................................................

How about athletes in other sports? Don't they work as hard as football players? Weightlifting, practice, meetings, etc.?

IMO, it's not the hard work; it's the perceived glamour of football and the associated pageantry.

I don't buy the "pay the student-athletes commensurate with how much $$$ their sport generates" All athletes work hard and have a tight schedule, regardless of sport.

Reactions: jblanken64
How about athletes in other sports? Don't they work as hard as football players? Weightlifting, practice, meetings, etc.?

IMO, it's not the hard work; it's the perceived glamour of football and the associated pageantry.

I don't buy the "pay the student-athletes commensurate with how much $$$ their sport generates" All athletes work hard and have a tight schedule, regardless of sport.
No other College sport requires the same amount of training,physical ability,strength, speed and stamina as college football, not to mention the greater chances of lifelong and career ending injuries. They deserve the extra money

Reactions: yankacock
Yeah, they just have to risk their bodies for the GAMECOCKS but don't expect to get paid for your efforts! We need that money to upgrade the parking lot!!!

If you want to make money, you go to school to be a surgeon, not a teacher. Same with sports, if you want to make money, you choose football over lacrosse. Also, the money they are talking about is peanuts compared to what is being generated. Stop building so much on campuses if money is the issue. Everyone is spending hundreds of millions on facilities upon facilities that really arent even necessary. Thats where this money needs to come from.

Reactions: wentzel25
Again...tell the Title IX folks that. See how far you get. As long as the NCAA continues to screw men's sports in their application of Title IX, you won't see that happening.

You keep carping on title IX, but once you pay the players it won't apply anymore. They'll become employees and not scholarship students. Paying football players would actually allow schools to reduce the number of female's on scholarship by 85. Also before long even if title IX still mattered schools would just start claiming half of their football players self identified as women to get around paying for women's field hockey.

Reactions: swampfox33
What is wrong with the families supplementing JUST A LITTLE for their child? If they can't, perhaps they could BORROW some with student loans just like the rest of us. If someone had paid for my tuition, housing, meals, etc., I could have scraped up a little spending money somewhere else and been very happy.

You keep carping on title IX, but once you pay the players it won't apply anymore. They'll become employees and not scholarship students. Paying football players would actually allow schools to reduce the number of female's on scholarship by 85. Also before long even if title IX still mattered schools would just start claiming half of their football players self identified as women to get around paying for women's field hockey.
and once they are employees they can be fired and have to pay taxes. They can hire agents and hold out for more pay. It's a sh*tstorm waiting to happen.

What is wrong with the families supplementing JUST A LITTLE for their child? If they can't, perhaps they could BORROW some with student loans just like the rest of us. If someone had paid for my tuition, housing, meals, etc., I could have scraped up a little spending money somewhere else and been very happy.
totally. Unfortunately, people don't think players should have to wait to cash in on their gained celebrity. They are not one of "the rest of us." They are celebrities. It's this entire, "gimme now" culture attitude. It's disgusting. Everyone is so entitled.

There's a lot of resentment towards athletes in this thread. I get a kick out of the "you're getting a free education" argument. Yeah, that's quite meaningful to athletes who participate in sports that, let's be honest, very few people care about. If you are a college swimmer, volleyball players, golfer, etc., there isn't a huge demand for your services (outside the coach that recruits you.) How much does that "free education" actually cost the universities? How does it affect the university to add the 85 football players and 14 basketball players to the hundreds of classes it holds each semester? Nothing. It costs nothing to put one or two more kids on the class roster. Sure, if the kids weren't athletes they'd be paying through the nose, but that's a whole other matter.

Reactions: wentzel25

So you are in 100% disagreement with our HBC.

According to university officials who spoke at a recent Gamecock Club meeting in Charleston...what I understood to be said about additional money being given to athletes...the amount is determined by a combination of factors and Carolina was ranked 13th in the nation as far as the amount that was going to be given to every single athlete. The amount stated was $4400 a year which averages out to $366.66 a month for expenses which IMO seems like a reasonable amount. It was also stated that our amount and ranking was significantly higher over what the "school from the upstate" was going to be allowed to give athletes and that they are upset about how this is all shaking out. This means that student athletes would make an additional $17,600 during their four years at the University of South Carolina. The amount is significant and could translate into a recruiting advantage factor if I understood correctly what was being stated.

So you are in 100% disagreement with our HBC.

Hell yeah!!

I'm helping to pay for 3 different college tuitions that is coming close to $100,000 in students loans and have one more child to go. What's said I even have help with Life Scholarship and other scholarship we can find from the schools...

Last edited:
There's a lot of resentment towards athletes in this thread. I get a kick out of the "you're getting a free education" argument. Yeah, that's quite meaningful to athletes who participate in sports that, let's be honest, very few people care about. If you are a college swimmer, volleyball players, golfer, etc., there isn't a huge demand for your services (outside the coach that recruits you.) How much does that "free education" actually cost the universities? How does it affect the university to add the 85 football players and 14 basketball players to the hundreds of classes it holds each semester? Nothing. It costs nothing to put one or two more kids on the class roster. Sure, if the kids weren't athletes they'd be paying through the nose, but that's a whole other matter.
If they don't care about their education, than why should anyone care about them? Not caring about education is not something we should be rewarding anyone for. It's the NCAA's job to fund players that are good at a sport. They could stop the sport right now and let them be recruited right out of hs school, until people start demanding high shcools start paying their athletes too.

They should just suck it up for a few years and see if they actually are good enough to get a paycheck for playing a game. Until they've actually done something of significance at college, they haven't proven they are worth a dime. If they think they are go test themselves on the market. They aren't interested in an education anyway people say.

Last edited:
I hope the student union does start demanding paying. And when the NCAAs come back with minimum wage they go on strike. Because It won't work. NCAA athletes are interns. They aren't employees. The supply of SA is extremely high and their demand is extremely low by the universities. There will never run out of potential SA that just want to play and don't need anymore than a scholarship.

Scholarship not enough for you? Fine. Someone else that isn't getting one will gladly take it off your hands for you and play in your place.

Last edited:
I hope the student union does start demanding paying. And when the NCAAs come back with minimum wage they go on strike. Because It won't work. NCAA athletes are interns. They aren't employees. The supply of SA is extremely high and their demand is extremely low by the universities. There will never run out of potential SA that just want to play and don't need anymore than a scholarship.

Scholarship not enough for you? Fine. Someone else that isn't getting one will gladly take it off your hands for you and play in your place.

The supply of GOOD SA isn't extremely high.

What will happen is what goes on with baseball now: the best prospects will go to some sort of minor league system until they're ready to come to the pros. current football programs will become devoid of talent and a LOT of the interest currently held in CFB will evaporate overnight.

If they don't care about their education, than why should anyone care about them? Not caring about education is not something we should be rewarding anyone for. It's the NCAA's job to fund players that are good at a sport. They could stop the sport right now and let them be recruited right out of hs school, until people start demanding high shcools start paying their athletes too.

They should just suck it up for a few years and see if they actually are good enough to get a paycheck for playing a game. Until they've actually done something of significance at college, they haven't proven they are worth a dime. If they think they are go test themselves on the market. They aren't interested in an education anyway people say.
It has very little to do with "caring about education." It has much to do with some people believing colleges should reap huge financial benefits ($100M we got this year?), coaches should reap huge financial benefits (have you seen what the typical D1 coaching staff is paid?), but the players should be happy for an opportunity to prove themselves. Forget the fact that they at least proved SOMETHING at the high school or JC level to be considered worthy of this opportunity.

I wonder how many professional, working adults would care to follow your model of "suck it up for a few years and see if they actually are good enough to get a paycheck." Do we really expect athletes to play in a system that generates tens/hundreds of millions of dollars for their universities and coaches to go into it thinking, "Well, if I perform well enough here, and help this organization continue to make money, maybe an entirely different organization will give me the chance to play for money."...I know people enjoy college sports, but don't let your enjoyment of the game blind you to the fact that these kids are being used in a multi-billion dollar business.

all this talk about how much money is generated for the school. How much of the athletic revenue goes into the education portion of the school? Millions is spent on stadium upgrades, new fields, special education centers for the athletes, scholarships for athletes, so just how much of this revenue everyone is talking about actually goes back to help the general student poulation,professors...ect? Anyone have an answer?

all this talk about how much money is generated for the school. How much of the athletic revenue goes into the education portion of the school? Millions is spent on stadium upgrades, new fields, special education centers for the athletes, scholarships for athletes, so just how much of this revenue everyone is talking about actually goes back to help the general student poulation,professors...ect? Anyone have an answer?
The sports generate money for the NCAA and NCAA provides scholarship.

It has very little to do with "caring about education." It has much to do with some people believing colleges should reap huge financial benefits ($100M we got this year?), coaches should reap huge financial benefits (have you seen what the typical D1 coaching staff is paid?), but the players should be happy for an opportunity to prove themselves. Forget the fact that they at least proved SOMETHING at the high school or JC level to be considered worthy of this opportunity.

I wonder how many professional, working adults would care to follow your model of "suck it up for a few years and see if they actually are good enough to get a paycheck." Do we really expect athletes to play in a system that generates tens/hundreds of millions of dollars for their universities and coaches to go into it thinking, "Well, if I perform well enough here, and help this organization continue to make money, maybe an entirely different organization will give me the chance to play for money."...I know people enjoy college sports, but don't let your enjoyment of the game blind you to the fact that these kids are being used in a multi-billion dollar business.
Yes, that IS the way it should be because that is how life works. The university has employees and it has student athletes. Multi-million dollars business have employees and they have unpaid interns working for them. There is NO difference. They are working for the experience and for education just like any student athlete. Like walkons some are paying for their own college education. There is NOTHING wrong with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT