ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure I understand all the hate for Bobo.

pops#

Oct 28, 1998
He was offensive coordinator at UGA from 2007-2014.

2007 - (11-2) 32.6 ppg won Sugar bowl 41-10
2008 - (10-3) 31.5 ppg won Capital one bowl 24-12
2009 - (8-5) 28.9 ppg won Independence bowl 44-20
2010 - (6-7) 32.1 ppg Lost Liberty bowl 10-6
2011 - (10-4) 32.0 ppg Lost Outback bowl 33-30
2012 - (12-2) 37.8 ppg won Citrus bowl 45-31 won Broyles Award
2013 - (8-5) 36.7 ppg Lost Gator bowl 24-19
2014 - (10-3) 41.3 ppg won Belk bowl 37-14

That's 9-4 Ave record 34.11 ppg and bowl game every year. Not advocating the hire, I just don't get all the negative comments. Some points are probably defensive points. Did not look at offensive yards per game. Go ahead and fire away.... shoot the messenger ! o_O

Reactions: The Cool Cock
Basically, anyone who's an associate of Muschamp is going to be instantly hated.

Bob was a very good OC at UGA. There's no way around the #s. Not advocating for his hire, but it's silly to say he was a bad OC.

That's 9-4 Ave record 34.11 ppg and bowl game every year. Not advocating the hire, I just don't get all the negative comments. Some points are probably defensive points. Did not look at offensive yards per game. Go ahead and fire away.... shoot the messenger ! o_O

The amount of NFL talent that was at Georgia during that stint is just stupid good. Easy to put up points with Stafford, Murray, Gurley, Chubb, Moreno, AJ Green, Julio Jones, etc playing for you. He did less with more. Unfortunately for us, we need someone who can do more with less, given our lack of skill positions right now. If you look at what his teams did at CSU, they are nowhere near what he did at Georgia. And honestly our talent level is on par more so with CSU than Georgia.

The amount of NFL talent that was at Georgia during that stint is just stupid good. Easy to put up points with Stafford, Murray, Gurley, Chubb, Moreno, AJ Green, Julio Jones, etc playing for you. He did less with more. Unfortunately for us, we need someone who can do more with less, given our lack of skill positions right now. If you look at what his teams did at CSU, they are nowhere near what he did at Georgia. And honestly our talent level is on par more so with CSU than Georgia.

By that logic, no coach for a talented team is a good coach.

That's 9-4 Ave record 34.11 ppg and bowl game every year. Not advocating the hire, I just don't get all the negative comments. Some points are probably defensive points. Did not look at offensive yards per game. Go ahead and fire away.... shoot the messenger ! o_O[/QUOTE]

I don't hate him but I don't think we can afford to run the exact same offense that most of the SEC is running. We need someone to innovate because we don't ever out recruit most of the SEC. We need a guy who runs an offense that is a change of pace from what most teams see every week of the season. Mike Bobo is NOT that.

Reactions: Garnet chicken

It’s the play call in the situation I’m not warm with. Most teams run the same or similar plays. It’s when to call a specific play that makes all the difference. Just never seemed to have an actual strategy beside random selection. Don’t hate the guy I don’t know him.

It’s the play call in the situation I’m not warm with. Most teams run the same or similar plays. It’s when to call a specific play that makes all the difference. Just never seemed to have an actual strategy beside random selection. Don’t hate the guy I don’t know him.

wow, for Gamecock fans, y'all have unbelievable memories about offensive plays UGA ran over a decade ago haha

Reactions: Expro19
By that logic, no coach for a talented team is a good coach.

I'm not saying he isn't a good coach. But with his personnel that he had there, it was easier to put up huge points and numbers with NFL starters all around.
We don't have single skill position guy on the current roster for next year (excluding any incoming guys, haven't seen them play a snap in college) that would have stepped on the field for Georgia while he was the OC.

IMO, we've got to go a different route, that can utilize who we have available, and simplify whether it be the routes, the reads at QB, and find a way to not go 3 and punt six to seven times a game.

I'm not saying he isn't a good coach. But with his personnel that he had there, it was easier to put up huge points and numbers with NFL starters all around.
We don't have single skill position guy on the current roster for next year (excluding any incoming guys, haven't seen them play a snap in college) that would have stepped on the field for Georgia while he was the OC.

IMO, we've got to go a different route, that can utilize who we have available, and simplify whether it be the routes, the reads at QB, and find a way to not go 3 and punt six to seven times a game.

I dunno. I read an awful lot of posts on here complaining about how we're talented and it's just lousy coaching that's costing us.

Bottom line, you look at any successful coach in any sport anywhere and they have had talented players. Just the way it is. Phil Jackson and John Wooden aren't the greatest basketball coaches ever b/c they overachieved with talent-deficient rosters.

Few coaches, if any, have won at a high level on a consistent basis without talented teams. However, A LOT of coaches have fallen flat, even with talented rosters. Talent, on its own is no guarantee of success. It takes the right coach.

Reactions: GeoCocky
wow, for Gamecock fans, y'all have unbelievable memories about offensive plays UGA ran over a decade ago haha

I do know when they had freaking Todd Gurley from the 8 yard line against us with 1&Goal, he decided to throw it three times and their kicker missed the FG. That's truthfully the only set of plays I remembered about his playcalling. (Seemed a lot like BMAC against Florida this year, IMO, that was the turning point in that game)

Reactions: titaniumspur
I dunno. I read an awful lot of posts on here complaining about how we're talented and it's just lousy coaching that's costing us.

As have I. I think we do have some talent. But the skill position guys for Georgia during that time span is far different than our current skill position players. I'm not sure his playing style matches our current roster. One of the other things I haven't seen mentioned was that Georgia lines could hold up on the play action pass, open up gaps to run, and could give the qb a clean pocket... can we say we currently have that?

Noticed on Twitter Today that Tepper at Carolina wants a young, dynamic offensive coach. Football at all levels is moving in this direction. Look at LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State. I purposely did not put Georgia in there because their style, when they lose some of their current defensive players, will suffer. It may not show in the SEC cg because LSUs d is a little down. There are a few traditional powers who are capable of pulling off Georgia's style. That number is decreasing. Look at Stanford this year and their problems with lesser talent. You have to have top five classes yearly. Even getting a yard on third or fourth down is hard for us. We don't recruit well enough for a guy grounded in the Georgia style.

I do know when they had freaking Todd Gurley from the 8 yard line against us with 1&Goal, he decided to throw it three times and their kicker missed the FG. That's truthfully the only set of plays I remembered about his playcalling. (Seemed a lot like BMAC against Florida this year, IMO, that was the turning point in that game)

Was that the 2014 game?? I don't see a sequence of plays that matches that description. UGA had no missed FG in 2012 or 2013 when Gurley was playing. They did have 2 missed FG in 2014.

One was a missed FG from our 27, so that doesn't match what you describe.

The other, they did have a 1st and goal from the 4. There was a sack with intentional grounding to move it back to the 14. If I recall, we just totally blew that play up, so run or pass, it was going nowehere. Then it was a run by Gurley for 3 yards to make it 3rd and goal from the 11. Obviously not a running down, they passed incomplete. Then missed FG.

I really just give credit to our D on this one b/c they totally blew up that first play of the series.

Last edited:
Reactions: buffaloslimm

You may have a point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Georgia_Bulldogs_football_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Georgia_Bulldogs_football_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Georgia_Bulldogs_football_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Georgia_Bulldogs_football_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Georgia_Bulldogs_football_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Georgia_Bulldogs_football_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Georgia_Bulldogs_football_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Georgia_Bulldogs_football_team

At this point, I don't think we can do any better with Mike Boo Boo as our OC... Big improvement from Kurt Roper and B-Mac...

Well he was a failure at CSU, right???
I'll play devil's advocate. Was Ellis Johnson a good coordinator? He stunk it up at Southern Miss. If coordinators were really awesome HC's they wouldn't be available as coordinators. Not that I'm endorsing Boo or anything. I doubt he or any OC is going to turn us into UGA during the Richt era in the next season.

Last edited:
Was that the 2014 game?? I don't see a sequence of plays that matches that description. UGA had no missed FG in 2012 or 2013 when Gurley was playing. They did have 2 missed FG in 2014.

One was a missed FG from our 27, so that doesn't match what you describe.

The other, they did have a 1st and goal from the 4. There was a sack with intentional grounding to move it back to the 14. If I recall, we just totally blew that play up, so run or pass, it was going nowehere. Then it was a run by Gurley for 3 yards to make it 3rd and goal from the 11. Obviously not a running down, they passed incomplete. Then missed FG.

I really just give credit to our D on this one b/c they totally blew up that first play of the series.

Yes- I said from the 8, should have been the 4. It was right after Dylan threw a pick. They ran a play action pass. Got called for intentional grounding. Picked up three or four yards the next two plays and Morgan missed a kick for them.

Yes- I said from the 8, should have been the 4. It was right after Dylan threw a pick. They ran a play action pass. Got called for intentional grounding. Picked up three or four yards the next two plays and Morgan missed a kick for them.

Ok, so not 3 straight pass plays then.

Pass - busted play

Run - little gain

Pass - incomplete

Nothing particularly damning about that sequence

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I'll play devil's advocate. Was Ellis Johnson a good coordinator? He stunk it up at Southern Miss. If coordinators were really awesome HC's they wouldn't be available as coordinators. Not that I'm endorsing Boo or anything. I doubt he or any DC is going to turn us into UGA during the Richt era in the next season.
Fair enough. Isn't it ironic that our head coach has the same reputation?

Reactions: TheReelEss
lol, yeah, i mean, i'm not trying to be Bob's great defender here. If someone doesn't want him here, fine. I'm not particularly sold on him. But I'm not just going to make stuff up and say he was terrible.

You are correct that he ran two pass plays, and a conceded run on third down with Todd Gurley setting up the FG attempt. Again, I mentioned how this was almost the same sequence of BMac against Florida this year, but that was looked over. I'm trying to figure our how this isn't the same type guy we already have on staff and who called plays last year for us? Look at Bobo's offense this year, take a game like Air Force, it's the same style of BMac. Boring, not innovative, and hence the reason he is now unemployed and finished 4-8. I hope if we do get him, that he and Muschump prove me wrong. I would love to be sitting here this time next year saying I was wrong about him as the OC. But when you take away the Georgia talent, you got to see how good he really was.

You are correct that he ran two pass plays, and a conceded run on third down with Todd Gurley setting up the FG attempt. Again, I mentioned how this was almost the same sequence of BMac against Florida this year, but that was looked over. I'm trying to figure our how this isn't the same type guy we already have on staff and who called plays last year for us? Look at Bobo's offense this year, take a game like Air Force, it's the same style of BMac. Boring, not innovative, and hence the reason he is now unemployed and finished 4-8. I hope if we do get him, that he and Muschump prove me wrong. I would love to be sitting here this time next year saying I was wrong about him as the OC. But when you take away the Georgia talent, you got to see how good he really was.
They ran on 2nd down.

They ran on 2nd down.

lol, can't get it right.

Anyway, this was ONE offensive series from 8 years as OC. Even SOS had a dud here and there.

Again, not saying we need to hire Bobo, but if this is your main ammunition against him, it's not a strong argument.

lol, can't get it right.

Anyway, this was ONE offensive series from 8 years as OC. Even SOS had a dud here and there.

Again, not saying we need to hire Bobo, but if this is your main ammunition against him, it's not a strong argument.
Kinda like how people would use one series vs UTC against Scarnecchia, while ignoring the performance in the entire Mizzou game.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
lol, can't get it right.

Would you care to comment on anything else in the post? (I'm adding it to this one. I would truly love to hear your thoughts on it)
I'm trying to figure our how this isn't the same type guy we already have on staff and who called plays last year for us? Look at Bobo's offense this year, take a game like Air Force, it's the same style of BMac. Boring, not innovative, and hence the reason he is now unemployed and finished 4-8. I hope if we do get him, that he and Muschump prove me wrong. I would love to be sitting here this time next year saying I was wrong about him as the OC. But when you take away the Georgia talent....

Well he was a failure at CSU, right???
As a head coach. OC and HC are entirely different roles. I would think the vast majority of the FB world still views Muschamp as a rock solid DC even if we fire him for failing as a HC yet again. I agree with the OP- why all the hate for this guy?

Would you care to comment on anything else in the post? (I'm adding it to this one. I would truly love to hear your thoughts on it)
I'm trying to figure our how this isn't the same type guy we already have on staff and who called plays last year for us? Look at Bobo's offense this year, take a game like Air Force, it's the same style of BMac. Boring, not innovative, and hence the reason he is now unemployed and finished 4-8. I hope if we do get him, that he and Muschump prove me wrong. I would love to be sitting here this time next year saying I was wrong about him as the OC. But when you take away the Georgia talent....

I simply refuse to believe you followed CSU all that closely this year. At all actually.

I simply refuse to believe you followed CSU all that closely this year. At all actually.

I didn't. I went to YouTube and watched their game film from a few games. I also looked at their stats from different games. Not hard to draw an opinion based on those.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT