ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure I understand all the hate for Bobo.

As have I. I think we do have some talent. But the skill position guys for Georgia during that time span is far different than our current skill position players. I'm not sure his playing style matches our current roster. One of the other things I haven't seen mentioned was that Georgia lines could hold up on the play action pass, open up gaps to run, and could give the qb a clean pocket... can we say we currently have that?

No we can't, and while Bobo was a successful OC at UGA, he's not a good fit for us, with the players we have. We DO NOT have the personnel to run that pro-style offense he used at UGA, and I haven't seen any evidence that he knows how to run any other scheme successfully. Whoever we hire, needs to be someone who (1) has an actual coherent scheme (unlike the cut-and-paste, improvised, whatever it is we've had, that never has figured out quite what it is trying to be), and (2) can make that scheme work with the players we can actually recruit here, as opposed to top 5 recruiting classes every single year. There are coaches out there who seem to be able to do more with less. I see no evidence to suggest that Mike Bobo is one of them.

Reactions: NetworkX
No we can't, and while Bobo was a successful OC at UGA, he's not a good fit for us, with the players we have. We DO NOT have the personnel to run that pro-style offense he used at UGA, and I haven't seen any evidence that he knows how to run any other scheme successfully. Whoever we hire, needs to be someone who (1) has an actual coherent scheme (unlike the cut-and-paste, improvised, whatever it is we've had, that never has figured out quite what it is trying to be), and (2) can make that scheme work with the players we can actually recruit here, as opposed to top 5 recruiting classes every single year. There are coaches out there who seem to be able to do more with less. I see no evidence to suggest that Mike Bobo is one of them.

Schools like Wake Forest or Indiana... There is a reason why their offenses were good. Innovative play calling that also uses the players skill sets. I would think we had better talent than either of the two schools mentioned.

The days of "pro-style" offenses are done... heck the NFL is going away from them.

So what do we do now "King"?
We wait. And we hope and pray that whatever is decided works out. If we win seven or more next year, we'll have to say it worked out. Seven next year with the roster I foresee will be a significant accomplishment. More than that will represent a major accomplishment. Then we will hope and pray for better things after that.

We wait. And we hope and pray that whatever is decided works out. If we win seven or more next year, we'll have to say it worked out. Seven next year with the roster I foresee will be a significant accomplishment. More than that will represent a major accomplishment. Then we will hope and pray for better things after that.

huh? you mean the best thing to do is not to work ourselves up into a furor over an OC hire that hasn't even happened yet.

I want us to win games. I don’t care if we run a spread, pro set, single wing, or anything. Just win.

The amount of NFL talent that was at Georgia during that stint is just stupid good. Easy to put up points with Stafford, Murray, Gurley, Chubb, Moreno, AJ Green, Julio Jones, etc playing for you. He did less with more. Unfortunately for us, we need someone who can do more with less, given our lack of skill positions right now. If you look at what his teams did at CSU, they are nowhere near what he did at Georgia. And honestly our talent level is on par more so with CSU than Georgia.
You are a moron. Did you stop to consider how many of these players Bobo helped in recruiting to UGA? I hope you guys continue to trash Bobo. UGA will welcome him back with open arms.

You are a moron. Did you stop to consider how many of these players Bobo helped in recruiting to UGA? I hope you guys continue to trash Bobo. UGA will welcome him back with open arms.

I'm also wondering how many of these stars developed/improved while at UGA. Maybe he gets some credit for this as well.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This x 1000!

I'd love to see you refute any of what I said above... I'm sure Georgia would take him back. It is easier to recruit to Georgia, we aren't and never will be at the same level as Georgia in that department. Georgia can walk into kids houses and walk out with a handful of 5* and 4* talent, making them top five most years in recruiting. At SC we average on a great year mid teens and that with SOS as HC. Southern Cal, Texas, etc still get recruits based on name and history.

But since I'm the moron stating facts here, can you tell me that his five year stint at CSU showed that his offense were still relevant with HIS players that HE recruited? Bobo went 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, 3-9, and got canned going 4-8. Maybe he is cut out only to be a OC, time will tell. But with where we are right now, putting lipstick on a pig isn't the answer for us when we need some type of innovative play caller that can do more with less talent.

I don't know? Maybe its because fans don't want to see us create a fraternity of overpaid loser coaches that have been fired?

Not that it matters because it'd going to be nothing but FIRE MUSCHAMP all day, every day on here until it actually happens because that is what needs to happen, period.

Bobo has connections to a potential 2022 five star QB in GA and his son is a potential five star lineman. I was opposed at first to Bobo as an OC but he brings a lot of positives. He knows the SEC and the area and could hit the ground running. I see him in a Lane Kiffen type of situation at Bama where he needs to work himself back into a head coaching position.

Last edited:
I'd love to see you refute any of what I said above... I'm sure Georgia would take him back. It is easier to recruit to Georgia, we aren't and never will be at the same level as Georgia in that department. Georgia can walk into kids houses and walk out with a handful of 5* and 4* talent, making them top five most years in recruiting. At SC we average on a great year mid teens and that with SOS as HC. Southern Cal, Texas, etc still get recruits based on name and history.

But since I'm the moron stating facts here, can you tell me that his five year stint at CSU showed that his offense were still relevant with HIS players that HE recruited? Bobo went 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, 3-9, and got canned going 4-8. Maybe he is cut out only to be a OC, time will tell. But with where we are right now, putting lipstick on a pig isn't the answer for us when we need some type of innovative play caller that can do more with less talent.
I think you make some fair points about Bobo's record at CSU. Clearly, things were moving in the wrong direction. I don't think it's fair to dismiss him as an OC because he had talent around him at UGA. He recruited some of that talent and developed some of that talent. Aren't those skills SC would like in an OC?

You left off several more important facts.

1. He recruited extremely well at CSU when compared to other teams in the MWAC - somewhere in the top 2 in their conference. However, his overall record, especially the last 2 years with teams comprised of mostly his players, did not reflect the same level of success he had on the recruiting trail. It has been argued that even at UGA he did less with more. Same could easily be said for his stint at CSU.
2. Over the last 3 seasons, his CSU teams failed to defeat a single FBS with a winning record.
3. His record against CSU's 2 biggest rivals, Wyoming and Colorado, was 1-9.
CSU beat Wyoming in Bobo's first year, but many say it was with Jim McElwain's players.

He was offensive coordinator at UGA from 2007-2014.

2007 - (11-2) 32.6 ppg won Sugar bowl 41-10
2008 - (10-3) 31.5 ppg won Capital one bowl 24-12
2009 - (8-5) 28.9 ppg won Independence bowl 44-20
2010 - (6-7) 32.1 ppg Lost Liberty bowl 10-6
2011 - (10-4) 32.0 ppg Lost Outback bowl 33-30
2012 - (12-2) 37.8 ppg won Citrus bowl 45-31 won Broyles Award
2013 - (8-5) 36.7 ppg Lost Gator bowl 24-19
2014 - (10-3) 41.3 ppg won Belk bowl 37-14

That's 9-4 Ave record 34.11 ppg and bowl game every year. Not advocating the hire, I just don't get all the negative comments. Some points are probably defensive points. Did not look at offensive yards per game. Go ahead and fire away.... shoot the messenger ! o_O

Not going to 'shoot the messenger', but those stats while extremely impressive deserve a little more scrutiny.

For the record, an accurate portrayal of his prowess as an OC in the SEC cannot be ascertained without a complete and thorough comparison to his peers during the same time period - ie, all the other SEC OC's who faced the same teams over the same 8 year period). And, even though his offenses averaged over 34 points per game, the highest in school history, that stat was not as impressive when compared to PPG by others in the SEC. In fact, many of the OC's were doing as well, if not better. SEC teams were scoring at a record pace during the time frame. So, it's not like Mike Bobo's offenses had somehow reinvented scoring.

Year....PPG...SEC RANK...SEC LEADER....SEC TEAM SCORING

2007...32.6.......5th....................42.5 UF........6 of 12 teams avg. +30 PPG
2008...31.5.......3rd....................43.6 UF........5 of 12 teams avg. +30 PPG
2009...29.5.......7th....................36.0 AR........7 of 12 teams avg. +29 PPG
2010...32.1.......4th....................41.2 AU......10 of 12 teams avg. +29 PPG
2011...32.0.......4th....................36.8 ARK......5 of 12 teams avg. +30 PPG
2012...37.8.......3rd....................44.5 A&M......9 of 14 teams avg. +29.5 PPG
2013...36.7.......5th....................44.2 A&M......9 of 14 teams avg. +30 PPG 2014...41.3.......1st....................41.3 UGA......8 of 14 teams avg. +30 PPG

In addition, from 2007 though 2014, UGA's recruiting was nationally ranked 8th, 7th, 4th, 11th, 7th, 4th, 12th, and 8th respectively. That is a ton of elite talent and quality depth.

The stats and facts provided are very impressive. But, with the talent on those UGA teams, Bobo should have been more successful than he was. In key match ups through his tenure, he was 3-5 against USC and 4-4 against Florida - both of whom are SECE rivals. In 8 years, with all that talent and all those lofty PPG's and record setting QB's and tradition, he qualified for the SEC Championship game 2 times - and lost both games. So, you could easily draw the conclusion that in key games, his offense failed to deliver and limped home with a 7-11 W/L record.

So, after providing that info, I think a rational fan could easily conclude that perhaps he does in fact do less with more. He will be a definite upgrade over BMac or Roper for sure. But, let's not get too excited until we see what he can do with lesser talent.

Reactions: ddw1263
I think you make some fair points about Bobo's record at CSU. Clearly, things were moving in the wrong direction. I don't think it's fair to dismiss him as an OC because he had talent around him at UGA. He recruited some of that talent and developed some of that talent. Aren't those skills SC would like in an OC?

Heck at this point if he can get us any better than 3&punt it might be worth anything lol

ADVERTISEMENT