ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure what has changed the perception

I'd try throwing the ball once. Is that specific enough for you?

No, I wasn't seriously implying that Muschamp didn't _want_ to get the first down. What I am saying, straight up, is that we went super conservative on that last drive and looked like our fear of losing was greater than our desire for victory.

Fair enough, thanks for being truthful.

IMHO, I disagree with throwing. We're protecting a lead, trying to burn clock.

Interception either puts them in great field position trying to knock down an eight point lead, or they get a pick 6. Incomplete pass stops the clock. Sack pushes us back 8-10 yards.

Personally, I feel our staff made the right decision to try running out the clock. Some may disagree, and that’s fine. They made the best decision at the time that they felt would lead to a win.

This is why I’m cautiously optimistic.

I’m now convinced that Muschamp’s greatest fault is hiring bad assistants. Why did he promote guys from within who clearly weren’t ready? Why did it take so long to get a good OC?

He’s got to get better at that. In fact, I’d argue there should have been changes on the defensive side of the ball last year. It didn’t happen though because people were only screaming about the offense because it was so wretched. A great coach probably would have made changes there too.

I hope the Bobo hire causes the light bulb to come on for him. He must surround himself with better coaches.

Lot of coaches hire guys they’re familiar with, and guys they share the same philosophy with.

Roper wasn’t a bad OC. Go back and watch film, more often than not he had us in the correct play, we just had a breakdown. Guy missed a block, QB sailed a pass 20’ over the receivers head, receiver dropped the ball, RB missed the hole, that kind of problem.

I agree, BMac didn’t work out. Muschamp rolled the dice, wanting it to work for both the team and BMAC.

TBH, I think had Jake decided to play for another program, Bobby Bentley would’ve been our OC from the beginning.

I feel different. Normally, Muschamp and SC would have found ways to have lost that game Saturday. We didn't. Hopefully, it carries over to Saturday night.

Muschamp plays the odds. Defensively, we had played very well in the 2nd half and I don't think he respected Nix enough to believe he could throw another TD. HBC used to pull out a lot of tricks, but he's long gone. And we used to have to rely on our D a little too much when HBC would come out throwing and not kill enough clock.
I hope that was his analysis - that he could afford to go conservative with Auburn and Nix, but that he wouldn't go as conservative with a better QB and a better opponent. It's a relatively small complaint, considering that we won, and all. But it wasn't a small complaint on Saturday, when I was on the verge of a heart attack as we gave them the ball back with a full 2:15 left to play, only to have them drive down into our red zone lickety split. lol Once Auburn knew we were going to run the ball up the middle, I think a short play-action pass would have been terribly effective with relatively little risk.

At any rate, it's a win and I think we've looked better, overall, in the four games this year than we did last year. But that doesn't make Muschamp immune to criticism on this board as some of his protectors on here seem to think.

I hope that was his analysis - that he could afford to go conservative with Auburn and Nix, but that he wouldn't go as conservative with a better QB and a better opponent. It's a relatively small complaint, considering that we won, and all. But it wasn't a small complaint on Saturday, when I was on the verge of a heart attack as we gave them the ball back with a full 2:15 left to play, only to have them drive down into our red zone lickety split. lol Once Auburn knew we were going to run the ball up the middle, I think a short play-action pass would have been terribly effective with relatively little risk.

At any rate, it's a win and I think we've looked better, overall, in the four games this year than we did last year. But that doesn't make Muschamp immune to criticism on this board as some of his protectors on here seem to think.
Makes you bite your nails but usually ends in a win. My hope is that is was Bobo's script, not BOOM!'s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT