ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing good happens after mid-night anywhere, especially in Five Points...

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
As usual Five Points is living up to it's name of "Die Points"

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article205733229.html#emlnl=Breaking_Newsletter

Multiple people injured in Five Points shooting

COLUMBIA, SC

Three people were injured in an overnight shooting in Five Points, according to the Columbia Police Department.

The incident happened around 2 a.m. Sunday at Harden and Greene streets.

The three male victims, all in their early 20s, were being treated at local hospitals. There was no word on their conditions, police said shortly after 4 a.m.

No arrests had been made as of early Sunday morning. Columbia police are still gathering information on what happened. The incident happened as patrons were being ushered out of the Five Point bars that close at 2 a.m.

The annual St. Pat's in Five Points event was held all day Saturdayat the restaurant and entertainment district near the University of South Carolina. Police described the crowd size in Five Points as being similar to a USC football gameday but said the day overall was fairly quiet.

"For such a large crowd it was a pretty normal night," Columbia Police Chief Skip Holbrook said. "We are unaware of anything that happened earlier in the night that led to this. ... This seemed to be isolated to something that occurred potentially as the bars were letting out."

There were five arrests during the St. Pats festival, Holbrook said, and only one call for service up until the shooting. He couldn't say yet whether or not the victims were the intended targets. He asked that anyone who witnessed or recorded video at the scene to contact police at (803) 545-3500.

Alex Waelde was working in Five Points on Saturday night, said he was standing on the sidewalk just outside the Roost and witnessed one victim laying in the roadway just in front of him, facing him. Waelde runs the Twitter account known as Drinking Ticket.

At Saloon, half a block from the intersection of Harden and Greene streets, a police officer told the bar to lock down and a shelter was in place just after the shots were fired. About 20 to 30 people remained inside the bar at that time.

Saloon, Roost, Breakers and Group Therapy are all clustered around that intersection. That intersection typically fills with several hundred people around 2 a.m. on Sunday mornings, when all bars are required by state law to close.

Brandon Reil, a Coastal Carolina University student who was in town for the St. Pat's in Five Points festival, was outside Waffle House on Harden Street, about two blocks from Greene Street, when the shots were fired. He said he heard perhaps four or five shots in quick succession but saw nothing. He did not notice a rush of people from his vantage point, but by the time he walked near the scene several minutes later, emergency personnel were swarming.

The crime scene Sunday morning spanned several blocks of Harden Street. Around 4 a.m., two hours after the incident, the streets were almost silent. There were crowds inside Cookout and Waffle House. A homeless man slept on a bus bench.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article205733229.html#emlnl=Breaking_Newsletter

COLUMBIA, SC

Three people were injured in an overnight shooting in Five Points, according to the Columbia Police Department.

The three male victims, all in their early 20s, were being treated at local hospitals. There was no word on their conditions, police said shortly after 4 a.m.

No arrests had been made as of early Sunday morning. Columbia police are still gathering information on what happened. The incident happened as patrons were being ushered out of the Five Point bars that close at 2 a.m.

The annual St. Pat's in Five Points event was held all day Saturdayat the restaurant and entertainment district near the University of South Carolina. Police described the crowd size in Five Points as being similar to a USC football gameday but said the day overall was fairly quiet.

"For such a large crowd it was a pretty normal night," Columbia Police Chief Skip Holbrook said. "We are unaware of anything that happened earlier in the night that led to this. ... This seemed to be isolated to something that occurred potentially as the bars were letting out."

There were five arrests during the St. Pats festival, Holbrook said, and only one call for service up until the shooting. He couldn't say yet whether or not the victims were the intended targets. He asked that anyone who witnessed or recorded video at the scene to contact police at (803) 545-3500.

Alex Waelde was working in Five Points on Saturday night, said he was standing on the sidewalk just outside the Roost and witnessed one victim laying in the roadway just in front of him, facing him. Waelde runs the Twitter account known as Drinking Ticket.

At Saloon, half a block from the intersection of Harden and Greene streets, a police officer told the bar to lock down and a shelter was in place just after the shots were fired. About 20 to 30 people remained inside the bar at that time.

Saloon, Roost, Breakers and Group Therapy are all clustered around that intersection. That intersection typically fills with several hundred people around 2 a.m. on Sunday mornings, when all bars are required by state law to close.

Brandon Reil, a Coastal Carolina University student who was in town for the St. Pat's in Five Points festival, was outside Waffle House on Harden Street, about two blocks from Greene Street, when the shots were fired. He said he heard perhaps four or five shots in quick succession but saw nothing. He did not notice a rush of people from his vantage point, but by the time he walked near the scene several minutes later, emergency personnel were swarming.

The crime scene Sunday morning spanned several blocks of Harden Street. Around 4 a.m., two hours after the incident, the streets were almost silent. There were crowds inside Cookout and Waffle House. A homeless man slept on a bus bench.
It's sad that there has been such a gang element added to the night life in 5 points over the last decade. I had many a fun night hanging out down there at Group Therapy.

It's sad that there has been such a gang element added to the night life in 5 points over the last decade. I had many a fun night hanging out down there at Group Therapy.

It's like fishing in a barrel with kids drunk and fights....'gangs' may be an added bad component, but it has been a sore for a long, long time.

COLUMBIA, SC

This is what Clemson can tell recruits what happens at USC 20 years ago this did not exist

Last edited:
Times Square is safer than Five Points now. It's because NYC puts however many cops they need on the street in that area to quell crap like this.
N.Y. is one safest big cities in the world, so there's no comparison.

Columbia police have been worthless for decades. If you cut through MLK park in the 90s at night, it was a virtual guarantee you'd get mugged. Cops knew and did nothing. They preferred to harass college kids and talk up girls in 5 points.

"For such a large crowd it was a pretty normal night," Columbia Police Chief Skip Holbrook said.

N.Y. is one safest big cities in the world, so there's no comparison.

Columbia police have been worthless for decades. If you cut through MLK park in the 90s at night, it was a virtual guarantee you'd get mugged. Cops knew and did nothing. They preferred to harass college kids and talk up girls in 5 points.
That's because they are scared to approach anyone who looks dangerous. They're going to go after the drunk that they can easily handle.

It's not just 5 points, it's the whole city that's become extremely dangerous. Don't think it's not being used against us in recruiting either.
Actually, the city is not dangerous. Five Points is dangerous.

I worked in Columbia from 2008-2013. After work, I would take an urban hike from Taylor street to Five Points via Main Street, State House grounds, Pendleton Street, then Greene Street to Five Points, and return a similar route. Never did I encounter a problem during at least 50 round trips made over the years, but I was menaced one time in the Five Points area. This was after a jogger was lynched in the Five Points area by a gang who were for the most part arrested due to camera information.

At the urging of co-workers, I became a CCW citizen, and after that took place I was always legally carrying during my night walks through the city streets.

Once I was apprehended and disarmed by Campus police because my description matched a suspect who was illegally charging people to park in the Greene Street - Assembly Street area on lots that he had no legal basis to charge people. The officer who stopped me was a prick and was showing off to his female police partner. Once he realized that I was not the person he was looking for, he returned my weapon and magnanimously said he was going to let me go.

My report is that the areas of Columbia that I walked were very safe, and are a quite a pleasant place to walk, even at night. I am an average size man, and always tried not to walk with a swagger since I was legally CCWing, and no longer feared being menaced or lynched by hooligans. As a practical matter, I would not recommend doing this if you are female.

Last edited:
It's not just 5 points, it's the whole city that's become extremely dangerous. Don't think it's not being used against us in recruiting either.

The "whole city" is definitely not dangerous. But you may be right that misconception is being used against us. I don't think it's that big issue, imo. It might hurt us some kids, but there are plenty of prospects from the Atlanta and Charlotte metro areas who prefer to go to school in a city rather than a more rural environment.

I worked in Columbia from 2008-2013. After work, I would take an urban hike from Taylor street to Five Points via Main Street, State House grounds, Pendleton Street, then Greene Street to Five Points, and return a similar route. Never did I encounter a problem during at least 50 round trips made over the years, but I was menaced one time in the Five Points area. This was after a jogger was lynched in the Five Points area by a gang who were for the most part arrested due to camera information.

At the urging of co-workers, I became a CCW citizen, and after that took place I was always legally carrying during my night walks through the city streets.

Once I was apprehended and disarmed by Campus police because my description matched a suspect who was illegally charging people to park in the Greene Street - Assembly Street area on lots that he had no legal basis to charge people. The officer who stopped me was a prick and was showing off to his female police partner. Once he realized that I was not the person he was looking for, he returned my weapon and magnanimously said he was going to let me go.

My report is that the areas of Columbia that I walked were very safe, and are a quite a pleasant place to walk, even at night. I am an average size man, and always tried not to walk with a swagger since I was legally CCWing, and no longer feared being menaced or lynched by hooligans. As a practical matter, I would not recommend doing this if you are female.
You realize Columbia is way different now than in 2013 right? When I was at USC 5 points was viwed as completely safe and that was in 2005. They have shootings in the Vista now.

The "whole city" is definitely not dangerous. But you may be right that misconception is being used against us. I don't think it's that big issue, imo. It might hurt us some kids, but there are plenty of prospects from the Atlanta and Charlotte metro areas who prefer to go to school in a city rather than a more rural environment.
I'm trying to think of an area in Columbia I would consider to be safe but then I'll look up the recent crime and yep, there was a shooting or something recently in that area. The Vista is even bad nowadays.

You realize Columbia is way different now than in 2013 right? When I was at USC 5 points was viwed as completely safe and that was in 2005. They have shootings in the Vista now.
No, I am only privy to my experiences a couple of years ago.

No, I am only privy to my experiences a couple of years ago.
Well it's become worse since then. I used to go to the Vista after 5 points got bad. Now I don't even go to the Vista. I don't really ever go to Columbia at all anymore if I don't absolutely have to. Florence is further for me to drive than Columbia is and I'll go to Florence before I will Columbia.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Y'all do notice that the 2 shootings seem to involve people who are not from Columbia? These 3 guys are from 3 different places.

As far as behind MLK park, it was packed yesterday....with 1000s of students. Most of those properties are rentals and tenants are college kids on Lee Street.

Not sure how much you can blame this on columbia aside from the fact that people from out of town come here to party, attend USC sporting events or other shows in town. To blame this on "columbia gangs" seems a bit presumptuous.

There are police all over 5 points, especially when the bars close at 2 on sunday am.

All I can think to do is metal detectors and barricades. Never mind, barricades were up yesterday. Like the city council and neighborhood owners say, may be time to close down at midnight.

Goodness gracious, Columbia is a very safe place to be and have fun in. There are a few bad parts of Columbia like ANY OTHER CITY. I was in Atlanta recently and you can walk one block from a nice area to the hood quick. Same with NYC, Chicago, LA, and yes, Columbia.

Goodness gracious, Columbia is a very safe place to be and have fun in. There are a few bad parts of Columbia like ANY OTHER CITY. I was in Atlanta recently and you can walk one block from a nice area to the hood quick. Same with NYC, Chicago, LA, and yes, Columbia.
The Five Points area has too many priors over too few years. Something's going to have to be done there, or everything that's good about it will be lost.

The Five Points area has too many priors over too few years. Something's going to have to be done there, or everything that's good about it will be lost.

Very difficult to do anything about morons that come from all over the state to 5 points to do something dumb.

Very difficult to do anything about morons that come from all over the state to 5 points to do something dumb.
We aren't talking about this incident alone. This place has been notorious for awhile. It will only be as hospitable to the wrong element as it's allowed to be.

I'm sick of thugs with guns ruining everyone else's good time.

I was a bouncer and bartender in 5 points and at the end of my time in college, the crowd started to change. That statement is not meant to be about race, just goals and ambition in life. Prior to 2007, the kids there were 95% college students looking to have fun and drink. Now, especially late night, there's 10-20% that are there to start trouble.

My solution is that the University buy the bars and lease them back to the owners. Require liability insurance and restrict access to only people with a valid University ID plus one guest. Anyone causing trouble gets banned. Anyone not a student is trespassing and gets arrested.

I'm sick of thugs with guns ruining everyone else's good time.

I was a bouncer and bartender in 5 points and at the end of my time in college, the crowd started to change. That statement is not meant to be about race, just goals and ambition in life. Prior to 2007, the kids there were 95% college students looking to have fun and drink. Now, especially late night, there's 10-20% that are there to start trouble.

My solution is that the University buy the bars and lease them back to the owners. Require liability insurance and restrict access to only people with a valid University ID plus one guest. Anyone causing trouble gets banned. Anyone not a student is trespassing and gets arrested.
Essentially you are calling for the formation of a restricted access business district within a municipality. It would help combat the problem but I don't think you could get the right people to make it happen.

No, it never did, but then we didn't play with guns except when we were little kids playing cowboys and Indians.

GOCOCKS! BEATFLA! BEATVA!

I’m 48 and I wasn’t allowed to play with guns but was taught how to be safe and use them. I got my first shotgun when I was about 12. Went hunting on our property by myself at that age. Guess what. I never shot or pointed a gun at anyone

COLUMBIA, SC

This is why some people can not have nice things.

Guys it’s not just Columbia , it’s everywhere now . It’s entitled kids that didn’t get their butt’s beat and got away with everything because parents got soft . I see it everyday . Hell where I live , a few years ago a girl was gang raped on the beach in the middle of the day by three dudes and 500 spring breakers stood back and watched and took Instagram videos and laughed . Cops couldn’t even get through the crowd to help her . It’s insane . Those 3 guys would have been floating face down in the Gulf of Mexico if that happened when I was a teenager . It’s a catch 22 , the city has now effectively ran off the spring breakers and now every local business is closing up and people can’t find work so they are robbing , prostitution, or selling meth . You live by the sword you die by the sword . Trust me guys it’s happening all over the country , not just in 5 points .

Guys it’s not just Columbia , it’s everywhere now . It’s entitled kids that didn’t get their butt’s beat and got away with everything because parents got soft . I see it everyday . Hell where I live , a few years ago a girl was gang raped on the beach in the middle of the day by three dudes and 500 spring breakers stood back and watched and took Instagram videos and laughed . Cops couldn’t even get through the crowd to help her . It’s insane . Those 3 guys would have been floating face down in the Gulf of Mexico if that happened when I was a teenager . It’s a catch 22 , the city has now effectively ran off the spring breakers and now every local business is closing up and people can’t find work so they are robbing , prostitution, or selling meth . You live by the sword you die by the sword . Trust me guys it’s happening all over the country , not just in 5 points .

I am all for a purge.

It's not happening in Van Wyck.

They are so safe that you feel the need to carry a gun. Interesting take!

It is absolutely amazing how much difference there is in simply crossing the river. I lived in West Columbia for a few years and never even had to lock my car. I moved to Columbia and had my car broken into 3 times in a year. Richland County has over five times the number of violent crimes than Lexington County has. It is all due to the leadership. In Columbia we have an inept and corrupt government with the Mayor and City Council. We also have a police department that took 3 days to find a dead man in a parking garage a few years ago. Total Incompetence!!!!!!

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT