ADVERTISEMENT

Now David Beatty transfering

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
These guys have to know what playing for Frank Martin entails. Why commit if you are not going to work. To many divas in basketball anymore. None want to work or get coached.

Transfers happen in every program, but it seems we average more than usual. I'll repeat again, it's hard to build a program like ours when you are losing the numbers we seem to lose every year. It's not like we're signing one and done type players.

Well, maybe we are actually signing one and done.

Last edited:
Not surprising after the year he had here. I had high hope for him because the day he signed Frank tweeted "We just got better!" Best of luck to him and hope he can reach his potential. I do wish we could hit more than we miss which seems to be the trend.

A lot of players do move through here. But I hear no reports of abusive coaching from those who leave.

Obviously Martin is tough to play for. He is very demanding. He is a very good teacher of the game,especially defense. He is painfully honest. He also cares for his player and demands that they respect the game, themselves and their gifts, and the coaches.
The two best recruits he has had, Thornwell and Dozier grew their game to the NBA. But all his players get better; skills, strength, endurance and bball IQ. The guys that thrive here either arrived physically and mentally tough or got that way quickly.

At some point, with this number of people transferring out, I'm beginning to conclude that either Frank Martin isn't doing a good job assessing talent or he has a hard time finding talent that can handle his coaching style.The Final Four year was fun, but it feels more and more like an aberration. I'd like to be wrong, because I like the way Martin talks basketball, but this many transfers? SMH.

At some point, with this number of people transferring out, I'm beginning to conclude that either Frank Martin isn't doing a good job assessing talent or he has a hard time finding talent that can handle his coaching style.The Final Four year was fun, but it feels more and more like an aberration. I'd like to be wrong, because I like the way Martin talks basketball, but this many transfers? SMH.
Spot.- On. Post.

FWIW - Cloninger from the Post and Courier Tweeted that he spoke to Beatty and he had nothing bad to say about Frank or USC. Just wasn't the right opportunity for him.
I think this is more a symptom of the culture of today's athletes more than a problem with Frank. Plenty of guys transferring from lots of programs - saw someone transferring from A&M today too. Lots of transfers from good programs in women's basketball as well. It is what it is.

FWIW - Cloninger from the Post and Courier Tweeted that he spoke to Beatty and he had nothing bad to say about Frank or USC. Just wasn't the right opportunity for him.
I think this is more a symptom of the culture of today's athletes more than a problem with Frank. Plenty of guys transferring from lots of programs - saw someone transferring from A&M today too. Lots of transfers from good programs in women's basketball as well. It is what it is.
A good rule of thumb is this: if anyone else has problems, ours are worse. It keeps down inner conflict.

Sign of the times. Nobody, especially not the younger generation, seems to care to wait their turn, or to earn it. And in the end, I think Frank has these kids desires in his heart and tells them very frankly if he doesn't see them moving up depth chart, or if he thinks someone coming I is better than they are. At that point, a kid is faced with a career of bench sitting. I wish there wasn't such constant turnover, but it is what it is

These guys have to know what playing for Frank Martin entails. Why commit if you are not going to work. To many divas in basketball anymore. None want to work or get coached.
This guy can't play a lick. No big deal. Make room for hopefully a gamer.

Reactions: 76gintcock
You only addressed half of my post, and Beatty is only one of several transfers.

The bottom line is...These players don’t want to pay the price, to play and succeed in FM’s program. It’s not easy to play that kind of Defense.

Good golly King. It was two years ago we were in the Final Four with two NBA bound players. Hardly would say we've been waiting awhile for some gamers! Maybe some of our fans are part of that "want it now" generation but by your avatar it doesn't look like you qualify for that younger generation.

Good golly King. It was two years ago we were in the Final Four with two NBA bound players. Hardly would say we've been waiting awhile for some gamers! Maybe some of our fans are part of that "want it now" generation but by your avatar it doesn't look like you qualify for that younger generation.
Two years is a long time in athletics - especially when things aren't trending nicely. Where are our current NBA-bound players, except maybe Silva?

And what about Dozier as an NBA player, except in the most technical sense?

https://247sports.com/Player/Perry-Dozier-Jr-15801

Look, I like Frank. I know he's an outstanding coach. But coaches don't play and what I'm seeing isn't making me feel too peaceful.

LOL....before Martin the program was a dumpster fire, nobody worth a damn wanted this shitty job, SC got lucky when Martin became available...SC is 3 years removed from a 25 win season ( a don't give me this easy schedule crap) and 2 years removed from a Final Four appearance...
..... and some people here want to throw Martin under the bus...

...... Be careful what you wish for, if Martin leaves, odds are very high the SC program will return to the dumpster fire it once was..

Our HS football coach told me and a couple of other people, one day when we were talking off the record, that a large number of the players on the HS team were not willing to practice hard and hustle in order to achieve the desired results expected of them. I don't know if it's a generational thing or not. Of course, many other teams have kids that work hard and their efforts are reflected in good team performances. I don't know- go figure.

What do you mean the guy cannot play a lick? He actually is a very gifted athlete and a honorable mention McDonald's all American. In the right situation he will be great. It does not mean the world is coming to an end because he is transferring.

We are going to be very crowded at his position, and he is seeking an opportunity apparently to get more playing time. It does not mean Frank is a bad guy. Do you think it would be better for him to stay and get five minutes per game the rest of his career? SEC competition is grueling.

LOL....before Martin the program was a dumpster fire, nobody worth a damn wanted this shitty job, SC got lucky when Martin became available...SC is 3 years removed from a 25 win season ( a don't give me this easy schedule crap) and 2 years removed from a Final Four appearance...
..... and some people here want to throw Martin under the bus...

...... Be careful what you wish for, if Martin leaves, odds are very high the SC program will return to the dumpster fire it once was..
Hopefully it won't become that while he's still here.

When I think of Martin the first thing that comes to mind is his "in your face" screaming at players in front of their friends, parents, teammates, our fans and TV media. I know of no other coach who belittles his players as Martin does. Lord only knows how much worse he is in practice.

He is a bully who has to try and coach thru his out of control temper. The program continues to suffer.

This is incredibly concerning to me. Keita, Doumbia, and Beatty were all four stars on ESPN, and now none are on the team. They might have been rough, but clearly they had some upside if recruiting sites thought highly of them. Frank has his style, but it might be time to start adapting to the modern game. Frank can put the scheme together, but at the end of the day it's the players putting the ball in the hoop. When they have no confidence from getting hammered in the huddle, or no energy from intense three hour practices the day before a game, then it might be time to change.

Just my two cents.
Hopefully it won't become that while he's still here.
there is nobody on Horn's last team that would start,play significant minutes, maybe even be on the roster next year. Throw in the fact that Martin actually knows how to coach and I am not worried about becoming the dumpster fire we were under Horn.

When I think of Martin the first thing that comes to mind is his "in your face" screaming at players in front of their friends, parents, teammates, our fans and TV media. I know of no other coach who belittles his players as Martin does. Lord only knows how much worse he is in practice.

He is a bully who has to try and coach thru his out of control temper. The program continues to suffer.
You obviously have not sat behind Coach K or Roy's bench. Their language is worse than FM they just are just deficient in the 1000 yard stare and booming voice department.

Reactions: NetworkX
there is nobody on Horn's last team that would start,play significant minutes, maybe even be on the roster next year. Throw in the fact that Martin actually knows how to coach and I am not worried about becoming the dumpster fire we were under Horn.
I'm not worried, either. If it happens, I'll have plenty of other things to devote my energies to.

Reactions: bosoxcock
It's the culture of one-and-done that's causing a lot of this mess. That, and the 'I want it NOW!' generation.
Disagree. If that were the case, you should see transfers at a similar rate at quite a few schools, but you don't.

Don't know what the issue is, but it's ours and ours alone.

Beatty couldn’t beat out Gravett or Meyers. He’s probably being recruited over with this next class.
2 guards committed who both look to be better basketball players. He couldn't beat out the guys here and he likely wouldn't have beaten out the newcomers. Transfer was really his only option.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT