ADVERTISEMENT

Nunez is the starting QB.sos says.

I really think the team will respond to this. Everyone likes Orth but I think Nunez is going to give them an emotional lift which is honestly what the team needs right now.

Reactions: bmhood1984
Thank you, coach. No need to play the "make the opposing team prepare for both qbs" game. It would be silly to pretend that UCF coaches are losing any sleep over preparing for Orth. Time to get Nunez in there and let him gain some game experience.

Reactions: bmhood1984
Said Orth will play too. Why? Why not let Nunez play and get experience? Especially against a team like UCF.

Said Orth will play too. Why? Why not let Nunez play and get experience? Especially against a team like UCF.
With Nunez being a runner, we need to keep Orth acclimated in case he (Nunez) gets hurt. Remember, Shaw battled the injury bug and we had Dylan to help out...same type of thing.

Last edited:
I don't think it makes a Tinkers Damn. Nobody can move the ball from the sideline, which is where he will be, with our D.

Most of you think theway to improve our defense is to switch QBs???

I understand running uses up clock, but we still have to give the ball over to the opposition. Unless we score TDs on every single possession, we have a good chance of losing. UGA is good but not the best on our schedule.

The problem is defense, primarily DL.
Their piss poor performance makes LBs and secondary look bad. The other team scores at will, and your brilliant minds think offense is our problem. Sigh...

I understand running uses up clock, but we still have to give the ball over to the opposition. Unless we score TDs on every single possession, we have a good chance of losing. UGA is good but not the best on our schedule.

Their piss poor performance makes LBs and secondary look bad. The other team scores at will, and your brilliant minds think offense is our problem. Sigh...

The problem is the CBs (primarily Harris Jr., when you start six yards off the ball and UGA throws 15 slants for 200+ yards, I say that is the issue. LBs armed tackled. The DL wasn't great, but they have been the most reliable of all on D this year.

Who is coaching the DL?

The problem is the CBs (primarily Harris Jr., when you start six yards off the ball and UGA throws 15 slants for 200+ yards, I say that is the issue. LBs armed tackled. The DL wasn't great, but they have been the most reliable of all on D this year.

As politely as I can say this....you haven't really watched the games then.

In the UGA game alone, our 4 DL were moved at will on each and every play. The OL moved our DL guys exactly the way the coaches tell them to. We were compliant. Why?? Oh, I don't know if we can truly know for sure as fans. No one here knows what the coaches tell or teach the players. What I do know is that our guys couldn't disrupt anything.

When the line of scrimmage is that easy to control, the LBs will be out of position. They have certain gap or player assignments that are built upon the DL holding their position or moving to a specific position. Our DL were used as shields by the OL to block our LBs from getting where they should. Being a step or two behind where you should be causes the LBs to arm tackle instead of hitting guys straight up.

Now, to your point of the CBs playing so far off. Yes, I've got no good answer for that. My only guess (and that's all it is), is that Hoke was moving the safeties up closer to the line knowing the DL guys were incompetent, and needed the CBs to play off and not let the big play occur. I expect that IF we get some DL that disrupt the plays, then the CBs will be allowed to bump at the line and know safety help exists.

Hoke knows how to play defense. If it looks bad on the field, there's an even worse scenario he's accounting for. Same goes for Spurrier on offense. You might not like what you see, but he's aware of bigger weaknesses that he's compensating for. Like it or not, Hoke and Spurrier are smart coaches. Players make them look stupid, but that's a recruiting issue, not a coaching issue.

Last edited:
yeah, i know....he'll probably start the first play and then orth comes in....lol...nunez still starts, but thats only one play

Coloradogamecock, that is one of the best analyses of our defense that I've seen. It's basically choosing between death by 1000 cuts or getting stabbed once. We choose the 1000 cuts because at least it keeps us alive longer.....or at least until early in the third quarter. If I were Hoke I would take over the DL.

I'm pumped about Nunez because that's the right direction on offense. Hopefully Hoke can help us find some kind of pass rush sooner rather than later.

Excited to see Nunez! It honestly looked like a completely different offense when he was taking the snaps. Very very shifty and when he did throw it, the ball seemed to have good velocity, zip, if you will.

In the UGA game alone, our 4 DL were moved at will on each and every play. The OL moved our DL guys exactly the way the coaches tell them to. We were compliant. Why?? Oh, I don't know if we can truly know for sure as fans. No one here knows what the coaches tell or teach the players. What I do know is that our guys couldn't disrupt anything.

When the line of scrimmage is that easy to control, the LBs will be out of position. They have certain gap or player assignments that are built upon the DL holding their position or moving to a specific position. Our DL were used as shields by the OL to block our LBs from getting where they should. Being a step or two behind where you should be causes the LBs to arm tackle instead of hitting guys straight up.

Now, to your point of the CBs playing so far off. Yes, I've got no good answer for that. My only guess (and that's all it is), is that Hoke was moving the safeties up closer to the line knowing the DL guys were incompetent, and needed the CBs to play off and not let the big play occur. I expect that IF we get some DL that disrupt the plays, then the CBs will be allowed to bump at the line and know safety help exists.

Hoke knows how to play defense. If it looks bad on the field, there's an even worse scenario he's accounting for. Same goes for Spurrier on offense. You might not like what you see, but he's aware of bigger weaknesses that he's compensating for. Like it or not, Hoke and Spurrier are smart coaches. Players make them look stupid, but that's a recruiting issue, not a coaching issue.

I think this is a good overall view of the D. I agree with all of it. But I still feel like putting the blame on the DL is giving The others a crutch. The DL got pressure on Kentucky for most of the night two weeks ago but it was again the CBs that continued to hurt us with the passes in the flats and slants. With regards to the arm tackling, ten yards down field isn't because the DL was acting as a shield IMHO. It was lack of execution. I agree that Hoke is a good coach, but think he would be better having his choice of position coaches... Hopefully they will use this week to circle the wagons.

I completely whole heartedly disagree with most of your assessment... here's why...
Lambert completed 23 of 24 passes, and only 3 of those balls were thrown beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. The vast majority of the completions were quick inside slants with Lambert taking 3 step dropbacks. A DL full of hall of famers, in their prime, could not have applied enough QB pressure to disrupt those completions. Chubb/Michel broke off some good runs, but they didn't beat us. We stacked the box and challenged Lambert to beat us, and he did. Unless the quick inside slant route is denied at the line of scrimmage by our CB's, our DL won't have enough time to pressure the QB.

Reflects poor recruiting IMHO ... we're having to start the #1 QB from the state of GA last year and he'll have to make do with the #1 player at any position from the state of SC last year snapping it to him ... both true freshmen.

And then he's gotta' throw it to some freshmen guys named Samuel (who flies in the air like Jordan and runs like a gazelle) and Googer (a plain ol' 4-star who ain't but 6'4" that didn't get but 25 offers) ... and some other guy named Cooper.

I KNOW ... yea, we've got a lot of things to 'fix' but THIS group illustrates that we DO HAVE some great athletes on this team. Let's hope they all 'grow' into their full potential.

BTW ... I've learned we do have some 'dense' people on the FGF (almost ALL of 'em trolls, or - at best ambivalent towards the Gamecocks) so, let me be clear my first sentence was tongue in cheek.

Last edited:
I completely whole heartedly disagree with most of your assessment... here's why...
Lambert completed 23 of 24 passes, and only 3 of those balls were thrown beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. The vast majority of the completions were quick inside slants with Lambert taking 3 step dropbacks. A DL full of hall of famers, in their prime, could not have applied enough QB pressure to disrupt those completions. Chubb/Michel broke off some good runs, but they didn't beat us. We stacked the box and challenged Lambert to beat us, and he did. Unless the quick inside slant route is denied at the line of scrimmage by our CB's, our DL won't have enough time to pressure the QB.

Ok. A few comments back at you.

"We stacked the box and challenged Lambert to beat us"
- You don't stack the box to beat the passer. You stack the box because of the RBs. In this case, damn good idea with your previous comment "Chubb/Michel broke off some good runs". Now, IF your DL could hold the line on their own and, again, "disrupt the play"; then your LBs aren't needed in the box. However, our DL could not stop Michel or Chubb. Hey, no problem though. We aren't alone in that. Also, Hoke knows our DL sucks. So, sure, you stack the box with the DL. Football defense is pretty much always predicated upon stopping the run first. Most football coaches will run all day if you show you can't stop them. Stop the run, first and foremost rule of defensive schemes. Ok, so the challenge is this comes down to this question, "How many guys does it take to stop the run?" Coaches would LOVE to be able to say we stopped the run with our front 4. USC did that back when Clowney was here. That DL was darn good across the line. That takes the pressure off the LBs. They can play to make plays. Unfortunately, we didn't always have the best corps or LBs. But, the DL helped them out. I digress. So, Hoke knows he can't stop UGA with the front 4 alone. LBs get pulled up close to the line. Safeties get pulled up to back fill the LBs. If you're doing that, you better not let your CBs get beat deep. So, they play 10 yards off the WRs. Sucks, doesn't it? But what the hell are you going to do?? Go back to the DL and tell them, "you're on your own vs the run guys". Pull the LBs back to prevent the short slants. Safeties are behind the LBs, and the CBs jam the WRs. Congratulations, you just got owned by Schottenheimer as he runs Chubb and Michel right down your throat over and over for an SEC record rushing day AGAIN because your front 4 are incompetent.

Football ain't rocket science. You win and lose (usually) with your lines of scrimmage. Win the line on both sides of the ball and you win the games. We haven't won the defensive LOS vs the SEC. We likely aren't going to this year except vs Vandy. So, you better win the offenvise LOS and like last year, have a great offense. Too bad this year, we've got a new QB in Mitch and now a true FR QB. I love Nunez, and thought he'd come in around game 4. Didn't expect the early injury to Mitch. Nunez is a good move (imagine that, Spurrier is actually smart. Who knew??). He will give us the run option and eat up clock. He'll get us some points this year, and eat up clock. Less time for our D to get abused.

Again, our FR and RFR classes are pretty good. I think we'll like our 2016 class too. These current guys are very young and this tough experience will make the good for next year. Hate that we have 2 bad years in a row, but it happens. We had a peak, and we're in a trough, and next year, we'll start another rise. It's the way programs go. We don't do wholesale changes. Every firing brings a 5 year period to see what the next can do. I'd rather like to avoid that right now.

@Colorado, I think we actually agree on a few thigs... We stacked the box (to try and eliminate the run) and thus challenged Lambert to beat us. I am aware of the purpose of stacking the box, although we didn't really do that very well either.
I also agree that it would have been great for our DL to disrupt the run at the line of scrimmage, but the DL also has other responsibilities. They should be controlling their gap, but also engaging all offensive blockers so they are not free to block the LB's. It's the LB's duty to meet the RB at the line of scrimmage to make the stop. But it seemed like our DL wasn't able to engage all offensive blockers, so they were free to get to our second level and take the LB's out of the run plays. I also agree that the LB's are responsible for helping to stop the slant pass, but obviously they were not getting to their assignments fast enough. If the CB's would have jammed the WR's only for a second, then it would have allowed the LB's another second to fill in the passing lane. I also agree that the game is won in the trenches, and unless something changes, we may be in trouble this season. We actually agree on more than I thought...

Nunez definitely seemed to give our offense a spark. I really think the team may have confidence in him. Sometimes I think having the confidence of the team may help a Freshman to play above his talent level. I guess we'll see this weekend.

Im trying to stay optimistic that our coaches will figure out how to stop the bleeding, but I'm slowly losing faith. We're 3 weeks in and we still haven't figured out who our best players are? I'm trying not be influenced by the negative crowd here, but I admit they're starting to chip away at me. I hope this UCF game is a real confidence builder for players, coaches, and fans. Go Cocks!

Reactions: SportsSuites1
BigTom, good reply. If you still have the UGA game saved, slow motion at the snap and watch our DL. They get moved as the OL guys wanted to move them. That's why the LBs had to take on OL. The OL discarded our guys as if they were still high school players. A key word in your response was "should". Yes, they should do more, but they simply can't. I don't know what a coach can really do to fix anything. You have to have players that are at least close to the competition. If the level of player is similar for each team, only then is coaching a real factor. Our coaches can coach their butt off, but it won't matter if our guys aren't close in level of skill to the opposition.

The underclassmen DL guys all have the potential to be very good. They just aren't ready to be good yet. The upperclassmen have been a waste. Maybe we couldn't get top guys to come in behind Clowney and the others. Who knows.

I haven't lost faith in Spurrier, the offensive coaches, or Hoke. I'd rather not ever see Adams or Botkin again though. Ward, I like for recruiting and position coaching. He has real value there. They can't do much with this year, but I like the last 2 recruiting classes and think it will get better.

To your comment about "best players". The criteria changes by the week. Before losing 2 straight SEC games, they went with the upperclassmen with the hope they would fare well enough to win. After losing 2 SEC games handily and the starting QB, the criteria for "Best" players is youth. Spurrier and Hoke know this season is lost for an SEC championship now, so get the more talented (albeit raw) into the game, and prepare for the coming years. Take the lumps now. Coachspeak requires some thought to understand what they are saying. The local media will never help us out with that, and most here don't have any experience to help them understand it either.

Good back and forth. I enjoyed it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT