ADVERTISEMENT

O Line issues?

I know very little about the nuances of playing OL, but I’m pretty sure you are supposed to make contact with the opposing players. On multiple occasions, I saw players on the OL completely whiff and not block anyone - Defenders going by them on the right and left. That almost always resulted in a sack or tfl. Disappointing, especially considering that’s a veteran group.
Did you see Beamer address this. QB calls a protection wrong people are going to be unblocked. We got better as the game went. I think Georgia will be a huge challenge but I expect we will perform better this week.

Did you see Beamer address this. QB calls a protection wrong people are going to be unblocked. We got better as the game went. I think Georgia will be a huge challenge but I expect we will perform better this week.
Back in the day as a backup Qb I would call the play and the center called the protection. If the defense shifted the center would either audible a change or he didn't. Least that's how we did it. Might have been just when I was in at Qb. I was a starting free safety and didn't get as many reps on offense.

If you watch this....1:34....ECU LB #11 (guy with mouthpiece hanging).
The RT (Wonnum) just lets him run by.
A Sr player doesn't know who to block?
This is coaching. Someone on that staff needs their azz kicked.
Looks like the whole line slides left. Should be a back taking his place on the edge. Of course assuming it is slide protection.

Back in the day as a backup Qb I would call the play and the center called the protection. If the defense shifted the center would either audible a change or he didn't. Least that's how we did it. Might have been just when I was in at Qb. I was a starting free safety and didn't get as many reps on offense.
In college the QB calls the protections. No way for a lineman to do that. One guy can’t see everything from his position. QB has a much better point of view.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
I’m college the QB calls the protections. No way for a lineman to do that. One guy can’t see everything from his position. QB has a much better point of view.
I was looking more at coverage. Plus I'm talking about the middle of the last century lol. Yeah, today I hear the qb shout out "52, 52!"

I think it's not just an offensive line play. Both Eastern Illinois and ECU blitzed their linebackers basically daring us to pass and we still couldn't pass. Teams are putting a lot of men at the line of scrimmage and blitzing through the gaps almost every play which means we're basically running into a wall unless we run outside which is where we had the success late yesterday. If we had receivers that could get separation and a quarterback who could hit quick short passes they might stop rushing their linebackers up the middle

Need to play the big receivers more. O Smith & Jenkins and throw a few fades and jump balls. Its a must these days

Reactions: Gradstudent
I was looking more at coverage. Plus I'm talking about the middle of the last century lol. Yeah, today I hear the qb shout out "52, 52!"
The QB usually identifies the mike backer. Once that’s done the protection can get set. Based on the play, the amount of guys in the box, and their alignment, that will determine how they decide to block it up. Slide, B.O.B., half slide, combo, etc.

It's irrelevant if he's up or down. Do you think JJ, Burch, and Sterling were playing linebacker when they were rushing from the two point position Saturday?

Last edited:
If you want to count the 2 LBs and the CB....it's a 6 man front. But there's only one DE on that line.
How many got their hands in the dirt?
It's irrelevant if he's up or down. Do you think JJ, Burch, and Sterling were playing linebacker when they were playing from the two point position Saturday?

The position is determined by the ALIGNMENT. The stance is irrelevant. Many DEs play from a 2 point stance. On the play in question there are 4 men ALIGNED on the LOS. The guy next to the LT is ON THE LOS. By definition he is a DE on that play. The LB who sneaks up close to the LOS is still behind the line. He is a LB. The roster nor the stance determines the position. The same is true on both sides of the ball. A WR who is lined up on the LOS is a Split End. A WR who is lined up behind the LOS is a Flanker(or slot if inside the SE). Those are by definition the positions as determined by the alignment.
It's irrelevant if he's up or down. Do you think JJ, Burch, and Sterling were playing linebacker when they were playing from the two point position Saturday?
It's a base 3-4 with a shift....typically there are 2 DTs and one NG. The LBs come up and do the edge rushing.
Same as if I bring up a safety into the gap....he doesn't become a DL.
If you want, you can inform ECU that their LBs are DEs.

The middle "blitzer" was lined across from the RG. That was his guy, but the LB dropped back into coverage.
Blocking isn’t just get the guy in front of you. Everyone was shifting which is an indication the back should have picked up anyone coming from the outside edge and did not do so.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Blocking isn’t just get the guy in front of you. Everyone was shifting which is an indication the back should have picked up anyone coming from the outside edge and did not do so.
So if the RB is to take the outside edge rusher, who is the RT supposed to block? And the RG?
And why does the RT turn and make an attempt to block the edge rusher after he's already gotten through?

It's a base 3-4 with a shift....typically there are 2 DTs and one NG. The LBs come up and do the edge rushing.

Ok, so if you take a cornerback and he lines up on the LOS over the center, is he still a cornerback or, is he now a NT? Their defense is a BASE 3-4. That doesn't mean they don't shift out of the base defense into another defensive alignment from time to time - and of course THEY DO!!!! EVERYBODY does that from time to time, regardless of what their base defense is. Just because a roster has LB behind a player's name doesn't mean he can't line up in another position when the defense calls for it. On that particular play the guy was playing at the DE position, not LB. It's the Alignment that determines the position, not the the position listed on the roster.

So if the RB is to take the outside edge rusher, who is the RT supposed to block? And the RG?
And why does the RT turn and make an attempt to block the edge rusher after he's already gotten through?
Once he realized the person he was expected to be blocking backed out he tried to adjust but that is rarely going to work on any level past high school.

On passing plays guards are often shifting to get a hand on a DT who may be over center to provide post snap assistance. Since they had the 3 DL bunched on the left side you could expect the OL to shift that way simply based on formation. I suspect the thought was that the inside guy would be rushing and the outside guy would follow the RB but they did the opposite.

The RB is in a pure pass route. It looks like the line has shifted left and the RT is going to take the ILB. Once he sees him drop into coverage and glimpses the OLB rushing, he knows it’s trouble. Could be straight bust by the RT, or a bad protection call. We don’t know. It seems as if they expected the OLB to take the RB in pass coverage, but it didn’t happen that way. Could have been something they saw on film against that front, and ECU fooled them. What is most odd, is if ECU had rushed 5, as it appeared they might, the RG wasn’t blocking the ILB, as he immediately shifted left, and the RT would have been 2 on 1.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
What do you guys see as the biggest issues with our "O Line" right now? From a coaching/technique standpoint.

This was a story, maybe a rumor, about Frank McGuires first or second year at SC. In a game with one of the ACC powers we were getting our ass handed to us when his assistant Donnie Walsh is said to have asked McGuire. “ Coach what should we do?” McGuire is said to have replied “ We need to go out and get some better players.” And that is my opinion of our OL.

Once he realized the person he was expected to be blocking backed out he tried to adjust but that is rarely going to work on any level past high school.
He whiffed....his job is to protect his QB. It was 3rd & 10.

The guy that made the tackle was a LB. Quit being an ass.
Just trying to set you straight and teach you something. But if you don't want to learn I can't help you. Admitting you're wrong is the first step.

Nope. It's a 4-2-5 Nickel. I don't care what there base defense is. They lined up with 5 dbs 2 LBs 4DLs. It's not rocket science to tell how they lined up, especially on a 3rd and long.

Last edited:
Reactions: JGH 35
Just trying to set you straight and teach you something. But if you don't want to learn I can't help you. Admitting you're wrong is the first step.
BS. All I ever posted was the guy making the tackle was an LB and you insist he's a DE. Admitting you are wrong is the 1st step.

Nope. It's a 4-2-5 Nickel. I don't care what there base defense is. They lined up with 5 dbs 2 LBs 4DLs. It's not rocket science to tell how they lined up, especially on a 3rd and long.
Call it what you want....it's an offset line with an LB shifted up as an edge rusher.

Serious question. If you are running a 4-3 defense and the alignment results in a LB covering a DE does that mean you are actually in a "52" defense?

Because that's not the way it was explained in HS way back in the late 1970s.

Serious question. If you are running a 4-3 defense and the alignment results in a LB covering a DE does that mean you are actually in a "52" defense?

Because that's not the way it was explained in HS way back in the late 1970s.
If you have 5 guys on the LOS and 2 LBs, it's a 50 defense. When you put a 5th man on the line you are no longer in a 4-3 alignment.

If you have 5 guys on the LOS and 2 LBs, it's a 50 defense. When you put a 5th man on the line you are no longer in a 4-3 alignment.
You are right in that it is a 50 defense, but I thought that was defined as a NT, 2 DTs and 2DEs.

We simply ran up a LB or SS up to put the 5th player on the line to reinforce the run defense...and our DC who played atUGA never, ever called it a 50 defense. I alway thought the defense was defined by the positions that the players played, not where they happened to be aligned on a certain play. If I am wrong, my mistake.

You are right in that it is a 50 defense, but I thought that was defined as a NT, 2 DTs and 2DEs.

We simply ran up a LB or SS up to put the 5th player on the line to reinforce the run defense...and our DC who played atUGA never, ever called it a 50 defense. I alway thought the defense was defined by the positions that the players played, not where they happened to be aligned on a certain play. If I am wrong, my mistake.
Well they call it a 4-3 defense for a reason. The 4 is the number of guys on the LOS. The 3 is the number of LBs. So if you move a LB up on the line you now have 5 guys on the LOS. By definition it is no longer a 4-3 alignment.

It really doesn't matter what a player's position as listed on the roster is. It's where he is aligned. As an example, when I was in college we were in a game where the opponents had a big play and got down to the 1 yard line. We needed a goal line defense on the field but the coaches screwed up and had the wrong personnel on the field. I was a cornerback, and we had 4 DBs on the field and no NT. All the opponent had to do was snap the ball to QB and walk into the end zone. When I saw this and saw we were not getting anyone on the field and not calling a TO I jumped in at the NT position. For that one play I was a NT not a cornerback. First and last time I ever did that! 😕

Reactions: rogue cock
It really doesn't matter what a player's position as listed on the roster is. It's where he is aligned.
BS. I guess that means if Taysom Hill lines on the line, he's not a QB?
How many DEs in this picture? 9?
NWE5MZPT55EKROTJQCDXKL3IJA.jpg

BS. I guess that means if Taysom Hill lines on the line, he's not a QB?
How many DEs in this picture? 9?
NWE5MZPT55EKROTJQCDXKL3IJA.jpg
You are correct. If a guy lines up on the LOS he is NOT a QB. You need to look at the alignment and not the roster in the program.
And the picture you are showing is not a base defense. It is a special teams alignment. I'm surprised that even you did not know that.

We had wide open receivers but Zeb didn’t see them. He seems to decide where the ball is going before the play starts. Hopefully Luke is better at going through progressions. There are easy throw and catches out there. Once we get a little momentum on O things become easier. When we get bogged down, it looks messy.
Kinda feel bad for our qbs. Imagine throwing against our secondary for months and then going out and throwing in a real game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT