ADVERTISEMENT

Obviously, it's extremely early, and we haven't even played a game...

JKC4USC

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2007
But, am I the only one who gets a really good feeling about the way Hoke is running the defense? I really like what I'm reading so far. Simplicity, effort, and fundamentals over schemes. It seems a far cry from..."Hey! lets try running the 3-4 this year and see how that works."

Also, glad to hear there's a big emphasis on hustling to the ball. Players have to do up downs if they loaf. For me, that brings back memories of the "Fire Ant" defense.

Last, but not least, I was disappointed to hear that Green and Wideman had to be disciplined for missing too many classes. Really? Dudes, get your butts to class.

I have a good feeling as well. Buddy of mine I work with, his son went to practice and he said there was a good difference between last spring practice and this one. He said Whammy really didn't get on to his players last spring practice, but Hoke was after them and getting into their ears and letting them know to correct the mistake. He wasn't being over the top, just a fiery, motivating coach, which is what the defense needs.

Originally posted by JKC4USC:
Last, but not least, I was disappointed to hear that Green and Wideman had to be disciplined for missing too many classes. Really? Dudes, get your butts to class.
Skipping class hurts yourself, while being suspended from practice hurts your team. Make them run steps, volunteer at soup kitchen, watch saved by the bell reruns, etc, but i don't see how suspending them from practice helps anyone.

Absolutely wrong!!! How freaking hard is it to attend class? You really want to count on players who know you have to go to class but still don't? Hold them to a standard and if they can't be accountable then take from them what is important. Quit the excuse making and hold them accountable, you'll see who wants to play and who doesn't.

A good defense begins with having a high energy and passion, then kick in good coaching and the defense performs well.

Whammy tried that Spurrier laid back approach, he knows better than to do that. We lacked fire and energy last year, then the poor coaching made us look real bad.

Hoke has plenty of experience, that's something else that Whammy lacked.

Well, Wideman isn't straying far from his high school ways. I had hope he would change, and still do.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

You stole my words umdterpcock..just kidding!

One big example of your statement is the comparison between Brad Lawing and Deke Adams. Brad got after his D-line and pushed them hard and yelled and was fiery, and that helped our lines during his tenure here become very successful and NFL ready. Deke Adams...he's just laid back and buddy buddy with his D-line. You can't expect the D-line to be successful without a coach who will get after you when needed. It builds character and pushes a player to do better, because they know the only way they'll stop having the coach get after them is to work harder and get it right.

This post was edited on 3/18 2:56 PM by bowiestar2003

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT