ADVERTISEMENT

OC

This tidbit from Satterdield’s wiki is pretty ironic under the circumstances:

In January 2013, Nick Rolovich, who had been tapped as the Owls' new offensive coordinator, backed out of the job, and Rhule offered the position to Satterfield.[13]

This hire appears to be out of left field. I don't think anyone knows whether it is a good hire or not. Definitely not a name most people will recognize. I think this has to be another 'lets-wait-and-see' type hires.

A quick glance at his wiki seems to show he improved offenses wherever he went as an OC but all at smaller schools.

Reactions: Dizzy01
And he served as recruiting coordinator for a season, so hopefully he can do that well, but he is not a name that high school talent will desire to play for, imo, until he proves something. I hope he can do more with less.
Recruiting coordinator also means he can identify talent. Baylor did a great job getting under the radar players.

I don't think anyone is going to be excited for this hire, but there sure will be a lot of ticked off fans. The only real option is to give him time to show his cards. This whole staff will have the opportunity to make names for themselves...or to keep us at the bottom for a few more years. I do not think we can get much worse than where we currently sit though.

He has been an OC, HC, RC- this guys has done it all!! Most recently worked with Rhule and Brady. Not a name I had heard mentioned, I know nothing of the guy honestly except what I just read... Apparently has known Shane about 20 years- they were GAs at UT at the same time. I don’t know if this is a good hire or not but the guy has a ton of experience and had success as an OC before.

He has been an OC, HC, RC- this guys has done it all!! Most recently worked with Rhule and Brady. Not a name I had heard mentioned, I know nothing of the guy honestly except what I just read... Apparently has known Shane about 20 years- they were GAs at UT at the same time. I don’t know if this is a good hire or not but the guy has a ton of experience and had success as an OC before.
Lol where ? Tennessee Martin haha. Was a terrible head coach at Tennessee tech and everyone knows that and assistant ol coach is nothing more than a gopher What a clown show

I’m good with it. I don’t have a clue how it will turn out, but at least we are finally trying something different instead of a bunch of mediocre retreads. After Muschamp and his complete lack of imagination, this is a refreshing change.

But don’t let Auburn steal Des.

I agree. I would prefer taking this risk than finding someone who was fired from another program. South Carolina isn't stealing a home run hire away from anyone at the moment, so we have to be creative. I hope this risk has a big reward.

From 2013-15, Satterfield was the offensive coordinator at Temple where he helped guide the Owls to historic marks. In his first year at Temple, Satterfield's offense averaged nearly 400 yards per game, which was the most by an Owl team since 1979. Temple earned the 2015 American Athletic Conference east division title and posted a 10-win season.
Satterfield also held offensive coordinator roles at Chattanooga (2009-12) and UT Martin (2006-07). In 2010, Satterfield's Chattanooga offense averaged 430 yards and scored 49 touchdowns, which ranked 11th nationally. During his time at UT Martin, the Skyhawks led the OVC in scoring offense in 2007 and 2008, while also leading the league in total offense in 2007.

Lol where ? Tennessee Martin haha. Was a terrible head coach at Tennessee tech and everyone knows that and assistant ol coach is nothing more than a gopher What a clown show
200.gif

He’s been with Matt Rhule at both Temple and Baylor, and Rhule thought enough of him to bring him along when he took the Panthers job. As you mention, he and Beamer go way back, and it’s highly likely he was in fact one of Beamer’s preferred options, right along with Bobo, the main difference being that Bobo already being here did have an advantage just in terms of continuity. I think it’s not unlikely that Shane had spoken with him about the position earlier on, and may have known from those discussions that Satterfield was very interested in the job. Sounds like he may be a good hire, though not a familiar name to us.

Never heard of him. Interesting resume. It does seem to come out of nowhere. Curious to see where it goes.

I will say that the timing of this announcement seems like a big middle finger from Shane to Bobo (and admin?) saying, "EFF you. I didn't want to keep you here anyway."

Maybe? Idk.

Panthers assistant OL coach Marcus Satterfield set to become offensive coordinator for new South Carolina coach Shane Beamer, per sources. (With
@JoshTheAthletic

On the plus side, there is no excuse for our tight ends not being awesome. We added yet another tight end coach.

I hope he actually learned something from Joe Brady. I'm not impressed. I wanted Garrett Riley. Kudos to Beamer for over promising and under delivering. Hey Ray, I got some great Kansas oceanfront property for sale!

This hire appears to be out of left field. I don't think anyone knows whether it is a good hire or not. Definitely not a name most people will recognize. I think this has to be another 'lets-wait-and-see' type hires.
I know a good bit about many different college coaches on the horizon. What they run, what they rely on, who they learned under, tendencies.....but I have nothing on this guy. I know he was with Rhule for a long time....and Rhule is not known as an offensive dynamo....rather, a guy like Shane Beamer's dad (program/culture guy who oversees both sides of ball).

I have no idea how this will play out, or whether this is a good hire (like you suggest). It is definitely scary to me. Being with Brady the last year I hope helps. I hope he can recruit, as well.

On the plus side, there is no excuse for our tight ends not being awesome. We added yet another tight end coach.

I hope he actually learned something from Joe Brady. I'm not impressed. I wanted Garrett Riley. Kudos to Beamer for over promising and under delivering. Hey Ray, I got some great Kansas oceanfront property for sale!
LMAO...I agree with all this.
But...I know nothing of him...and am hoping for the best. There have been more Charlie Weis' come down to college from position or coordinator jobs in the Pros than Nick Sabans. Hopefully he can bring something positive.

HC: TE coach
OC: Assistant O line coach
DC: don't even want to know at this point

Yeah we are really closing the gap, two glorified waterboy's and god knows who for DC. Thank God we didn't go after Chadwell or Freeze so we could bring in this ace staff.
d@mn...maybe I'm just waking up.....but this makes a lot of sense. Reality is not fun right now.
Ay dios Mio.

HC: TE coach
OC: Assistant O line coach
DC: don't even want to know at this point

Yeah we are really closing the gap, two glorified waterboy's and god knows who for DC. Thank God we didn't go after Chadwell or Freeze so we could bring in this ace staff.
Actually the HC also coached RBs, WRs, DBs, LBs and ST.

I used to think that most of the whining and moaning on this board (and yes .... I've done quite a lot myself concerning Muschamp) were just Clemmy trolls, usually after they just realized that their team had a drug problem during their last game. Just like last Friday, the tiggers were drug all over the gridiron by OSU. However, more disturbing are the many Gamecock fans who complain about hires by Shane Beamer when we've not even set foot on a field yet. NCAA history teaches us that a lot of great coaches came "out of the woodwork", so to speak, without fanfare or very much experience. I have done more than my share of complaining, but that was after I saw what was happening on the field after watching games. If you really are a Gamecock fan, let's give Coach Beamer a chance to put his staff together without undue criticism before we even practice or play a game. Now if you're a tigger troll or a Gamecock malcontent, then keep whining and moaning! Just remember, Shane Beamer, without a doubt, faces the toughest rebuilding process I can ever recollect through more than a few decades.

Last edited:
Several years with Matt Rhule and one season in the same room with Joe Brady automatically puts you above Bobo.

The same people are complaining about this hire that complained about us keeping Bobo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT