ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive regression?

myrtlecock

Nov 30, 1998
I see a lot of people say that our offense has actually regressed as the season's going on. Maybe it has just a little bit. We have had injuries particularly at quarterback. At this point we don't even really have a quarterback. We've also had injuries to the offensive line with our best one out for the last two games.

But I don't think we should discount the fact that the level of competition has gone up exponentially. Despite A&M crapping the bed against Arkansas they are a solid top 10 team in my opinion. Georgia is on the fast track to win the national championship this year by most people's metric. It's hard to say exactly where Kentucky might shake out when it's all over but suffice to say with them and a pretty decent Tennessee team, this isn't Eastern Illinois we're playing against here.

We may indeed have some regression for all those reasons. Certainly some of you guys see that as and indictment of the entire staff. That's fine but you're not going to get your way at least in the next year or two.

Try to enjoy yourself and take this season for what it is. Hey the Braves are going to the world series!

I am not going to slit my wrist just yet.

I see a lot of people say that our offense has actually regressed as the season's going on. Maybe it has just a little bit. We have had injuries particularly at quarterback. At this point we don't even really have a quarterback. We've also had injuries to the offensive line with our best one out for the last two games.

But I don't think we should discount the fact that the level of competition has gone up exponentially. Despite A&M crapping the bed against Arkansas they are a solid top 10 team in my opinion. Georgia is on the fast track to win the national championship this year by most people's metric. It's hard to say exactly where Kentucky might shake out when it's all over but suffice to say with them and a pretty decent Tennessee team, this isn't Eastern Illinois we're playing against here.

We may indeed have some regression for all those reasons. Certainly some of you guys see that as and indictment of the entire staff. That's fine but you're not going to get your way at least in the next year or two.

Try to enjoy yourself and take this season for what it is. Hey the Braves are going to the world series!

First 3 quarters scoring in SEC play:
Georgia-6 points
Kentucky-7 points
Tennessee-14 points
Texas A & M-0 points

Through the 1st 3 quarters in SEC play, we are averaging 6.75 points. I throw out the 4th quarter because other than Kentucky, every other team had their starters shooting the bull on the sideline in the 4th quarter.

In the only game where it mattered, Kentucky, we got one more field goal in an additional quarter of play

The level of competition isn’t changing unless we leave the SEC. We either have to raise the bar or take the butt whippings.

I agree at least we have the Braves, but that won’t apply to all Gamecock fans.

Reactions: myrtlecock
First 3 quarters scoring in SEC play:
Georgia-6 points
Kentucky-7 points
Tennessee-14 points
Texas A & M-0 points

Through the 1st 3 quarters in SEC play, we are averaging 6.75 points. I throw out the 4th quarter because other than Kentucky, every other team had their starters shooting the bull on the sideline in the 4th quarter.

In the only game where it mattered, Kentucky, we got one more field goal in an additional quarter of play

The level of competition isn’t changing unless we leave the SEC. We either have to raise the bar or take the butt whippings.

I agree at least we have the Braves, but that won’t apply to all Gamecock fans.
Lol. I think you kind of missed the point. I don't think we've regressed any further since Georgia. Well maybe a little since our quarterback injuries mounted. All those games you mentioned are SEC games and that's where the competition got stiffer. I'm comparing those four games to the three that came previous.

No two ways about it, our offense is as bad as I've seen since 1999. But I don't think it's getting appreciably worse as the year goes on. It started out bad and it's still bad. A good offense would have put 50 points on Eastern Illinois in the first half without breaking a sweat.

Lol. I think you kind of missed the point. I don't think we've regressed any further since Georgia. Well maybe a little since our quarterback injuries mounted. All those games you mentioned are SEC games and that's where the competition got stiffer. I'm comparing those four games to the three that came previous.

No two ways about it, our offense is as bad as I've seen since 1999. But I don't think it's getting appreciably worse as the year goes on. It started out bad and it's still bad. A good offense would have put 50 points on Eastern Illinois in the first half without breaking a sweat.
I believe you are correct.

Other poster left out 14 v. Vanderbilt to the list (about 8 points per game for all games). Team has been consistently poor and the goose egg against Texas A&M should not have been unexpected due to the quality of their D-Line.

I found it interesting and sad that Texas A&M was in our backfield for the first three quarters on every play and then when Texas A&M put in their backup O-Line, we were in their backfield on every play. It looks like we have an SEC second-string O-Line.

Other poster left out 14 v. Vanderbilt to the list (about 8 points per game for all games). Team has been consistently poor and the goose egg against Texas A&M should not have been unexpected due to the quality of their D-Line.

I found it interesting and sad that Texas A&M was in our backfield for the first three quarters on every play and then when Texas A&M put in their backup O-Line, we were in their backfield on every play. It looks like we have an SEC second-string O-Line.
That's A good graphic of the difference in talent but you also have to consider that a lot of those guys on the Aggies second string may not ever actually start. They may graduate only ever playing as backups or mop up duty. Especially considering Jimbo's recruiting has gotten better and better with the success he's having. So who would they start for?

That's A good graphic of the difference in talent but you also have to consider that a lot of those guys on the Aggies second string may not ever actually start. They may graduate only ever playing as backups or mop up duty. Especially considering Jimbo's recruiting has gotten better and better with the success he's having. So who would they start for?
Good point. Look at our guys. Besides Wonnum (who didn't play last 2 games), which one of our guys would start elsewhere? Eric Douglas? Phil Steele had our O-Line ranked 4th in SEC coming into the season but merely had our "improvement" based on playing experience.

The OC keeps calling the same game plan knowing he has no productive OL. You have to scheme for that, not drop back a passer for him to get sacked or pressured instantaneously. As several of us have said when JoMo knew he had no good OL, he went to the run and shoot to spread out that DL and get the pass off quickly. USC seems to get coaches that are locked in their play calling and refuse to change. Defense as of late, is allowing run yardage at will and has a WR running open at any given time. You have to try something different or 4 games will look just like this.

Crap. At first glance I thought the title was "Offensive resignation "

Reactions: cadcock
The OC keeps calling the same game plan knowing he has no productive OL. You have to scheme for that, not drop back a passer for him to get sacked or pressured instantaneously. As several of us have said when JoMo knew he had no good OL, he went to the run and shoot to spread out that DL and get the pass off quickly. USC seems to get coaches that are locked in their play calling and refuse to change. Defense as of late, is allowing run yardage at will and has a WR running open at any given time. You have to try something different or 4 games will look just like this.
Dude, 1984 was a long time ago. The Athletic ability of today's front defensive sevens would eat that run and shoot for lunch. You know what the average weight of a SC offensive lineman was in 1984?
I agree it would be nice if we could find some way to take advantage of what we have but the game is still basically blocking and tackling. And we can't do the first one.

That's not true. He's changed formations, he's used pistol, he's gone under center, he's changed motion, he's used swing passes to RBs, he's tried WR screens, he's tried reverses and he's tried to use the TE in the center of the field. I can't think of one play where he emptied the backfield and didn't have a DL on his QB within 2 seconds.

In all, he's tried a million things. If anything, he reaches a point of being too cute (red zone offense plays) rather than being pig headed.

NM

How can you explain our offensive performance against Vanderbilt? That certainly can’t be attributed to an increased level of competition.

Dude, 1984 was a long time ago. The Athletic ability of today's front defensive sevens would eat that run and shoot for lunch. You know what the average weight of a SC offensive lineman was in 1984?
I agree it would be nice if we could find some way to take advantage of what we have but the game is still basically blocking and tackling. And we can't do the first one.
Except we didn't run the run & shoot in 1984. We ran the veer. And that offense was superior to this mess by a mile. That team could actually execute what they were running.

Last edited:
Except we didn't run the run & shoot in 1984. We ran the veer. And that offense was superior to this mess by a mile. That team could actually execute what they were running.
Right. I think I was just repeating what was said, but you're right they could execute. Players that can execute make coaches look like geniuses.

How can you explain our offensive performance against Vanderbilt? That certainly can’t be attributed to an increased level of competition.
Vanderbilt would probably beat Eastern Illinois and Troy. Don't you think?

And I'm pretty sure I just said our offense is terrible, The worst I have seen since 1999. What am I supposed to be explaining?

Maybe I need to explain my original point again. Our offense was bad at the beginning of the season and it's still bad now. I don't think it's necessarily getting much worse other than the injuries where we have no one worthy of playing the position.

That's not true. He's changed formations, he's used pistol, he's gone under center, he's changed motion, he's used swing passes to RBs, he's tried WR screens, he's tried reverses and he's tried to use the TE in the center of the field. I can't think of one play where he emptied the backfield and didn't have a DL on his QB within 2 seconds.

In all, he's tried a million things. If anything, he reaches a point of being too cute (red zone offense plays) rather than being pig headed.
Exactly. These coaches will be criticized no matter what they do. I don't understand why the concept of hindsight is so hard to grasp.

The Ghost of Joe Morrison himself could come and install his offense with these players and I don't think the results would be a bit different. In fact I'm quite sure it'd be worse.

The o-line has been terrible all year. I called it out even against E. Illinois and ECU. Opposing defenses are consistently in our backfield. It's really apparent on running plays when the RB barely has time to get the ball before getting hit by defenders in the backfield. That said, it's hard to judge any other position on offense, because of the line. It affects every skill position as the entire play is designed around a particular blocking scheme, timing, etc. which is blown up from the snap. It's frustrating to watch.

The thing is, I don't know if it's because of the o-line coach, or the offense we're trying to run. An article posted the other day has Connor Shaw stating this pro-style offense has a bunch of different blocking adjustments like pre-snap adjustments, post-snap adjustments, etc. Pro players have all day every day to work on this stuff, college guys also have to go to class, etc. I can't help but to wonder if the offense is just over-complicated and too much is being put on the players in terms of details.

The o-line has been terrible all year. I called it out even against E. Illinois and ECU. Opposing defenses are consistently in our backfield. It's really apparent on running plays when the RB barely has time to get the ball before getting hit by defenders in the backfield. That said, it's hard to judge any other position on offense, because of the line. It affects every skill position as the entire play is designed around a particular blocking scheme, timing, etc. which is blown up from the snap. It's frustrating to watch.

The thing is, I don't know if it's because of the o-line coach, or the offense we're trying to run. An article posted the other day has Connor Shaw stating this pro-style offense has a bunch of different blocking adjustments like pre-snap adjustments, post-snap adjustments, etc. Pro players have all day every day to work on this stuff, college guys also have to go to class, etc. I can't help but to wonder if the offense is just over-complicated and too much is being put on the players in terms of details.
In addition to all of the adjustments they are trying to get the line to make the play calling isn’t helping at all. While A&M did have dline guys making TFL last night in almost every game prior it has been LBs and DBs making the tackles in the backfield. Even last night there were multiple plays where they LB and DB were both in the same hole as the RB at the same time. The offense is so predictable they were timing the snap counts and just waiting in the spots for the play to come to them.

Exactly. These coaches will be criticized no matter what they do. I don't understand why the concept of hindsight is so hard to grasp.

The Ghost of Joe Morrison himself could come and install his offense with these players and I don't think the results would be a bit different. In fact I'm quite sure it'd be worse.
There’s not one kid in this program that would last
in Joe Morrison’s program.

He would tell them they sucked. Then they would run to Twitter and announce their entrance into the transfer portal.

Even when we were bad under Morrison if nothing else we were a physical football team. This team is cotton candy soft. I don’t care if they, their parents, recruits or Shane Beamer himself reads this post. It’s the truth.

Reactions: JamesRob
There’s not one kid in this program that would last
in Joe Morrison’s program.

He would tell them they sucked. Then they would run to Twitter and announce their entrance into the transfer portal.

Even when we were bad under Morrison if nothing else we were a physical football team. This team is cotton candy soft. I don’t care if they, their parents, recruits or Shane Beamer himself reads this post. It’s the truth.
I guess as long as pure conjecture can be touted as the truth, then it's the truth.

My conjecture is if you put Mike Hold at quarterback on this team with everything else the same and they'd beat the snot out of that 1984 team.

But neither of us have any way of proving our conjecture.

your last statement is 100% correct and something I have said since game 1. We have talent up front but we are undersized compared to every other SEC team upfront on defense. Now when AM, UT all put in their backups our Oline was able to match up and create some nice plays. But when you compare our Oline starters vs SEC DL or Our DL vs SEC Oline's we do not match up at all. I don't know if the last staff was going for faster up fronts especially on defense but it was defiantly the wrong direction to go as we are pushed around all game.

In addition to all of the adjustments they are trying to get the line to make the play calling isn’t helping at all. While A&M did have dline guys making TFL last night in almost every game prior it has been LBs and DBs making the tackles in the backfield. Even last night there were multiple plays where they LB and DB were both in the same hole as the RB at the same time. The offense is so predictable they were timing the snap counts and just waiting in the spots for the play to come to them.
Dizzy, I get where your coming from, but i just cant put it all on Sat. I've called plays at the HS level, and when your constantly having your backs hit a yard behind the line or your qb getting presser before he is even able to get set on a 3 step drop there isn't any magical plays you can call. I don't have the answer other than we are just outmanned and we don't have the key players in those key positions you need to be successful .

I guess as long as pure conjecture can be touted as the truth, then it's the truth.

My conjecture is if you put Mike Hold at quarterback on this team with everything else the same and they'd beat the snot out of that 1984 team.

But neither of us have any way of proving our conjecture.
It’s not conjecture that’s missing. It’s toughness.

Dizzy, I get where your coming from, but i just cant put it all on Sat. I've called plays at the HS level, and when your constantly having your backs hit a yard behind the line or your qb getting presser before he is even able to get set on a 3 step drop there isn't any magical plays you can call. I don't have the answer other than we are just outmanned and we don't have the key players in those key positions you need to be successful .
Here is what you can put on Satterfield. 3 of those 5 offensive lineman started last season and had a running back lead the conference in rushing. They were capable run blockers and now they’re not. They were not outmanned at run blocking last year. They are this year.

We weren’t this bad with Collin Hill back there passing last year. You could argue we have 4 out of 6 lineman back since we’re putting Muse on the line to block a lot as well.

I’m not a fan of throwing the line under the bus when they returned capable starters. Those starters look completely lost in this scheme. That falls at the hands of the offensive coordinator and ultimately with the head coach.

Here is what you can put on Satterfield. 3 of those 5 offensive lineman started last season and had a running back lead the conference in rushing. They were capable run blockers and now they’re not. They were not outmanned at run blocking last year. They are this year.

We weren’t this bad with Collin Hill back there passing last year. You could argue we have 4 out of 6 lineman back since we’re putting Muse on the line to block a lot as well.

I’m not a fan of throwing the line under the bus when they returned capable starters. Those starters look completely lost in this scheme. That falls at the hands of the offensive coordinator and ultimately with the head coach.
I understand what your saying, I just dont agree fully, until he names Sat, as the Oline coach i dont see how you blame him for the Oline issues really. At some point players have to be held accountable as well.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I understand what your saying, I just dont agree fully, until he names Sat, as the Oline coach i dont see how you blame him for the Oline issues really. At some point players have to be held accountable as well.
I get what you’re saying. You have some valid points as well.

We’re going to find out if Beamer has the fortitude for this job this off season. If it’s scheme, he has to make the coaching changes. If it’s talent, his group has to find better recruits that can play immediately. If he makes the right calls, we can improve significantly. If he doesn’t, the status quo on offense won’t cut it. People won’t continue to watch and support this…..some will, but the vast majority won’t. The upper decks are already looking like ghost towns.

ben, I am curious to see if we come out in 2 weeks with a different blocking scheme. Even if that means going 2 or even3 TE sets, with Bell, Muse, and Jenkins, we have to find something that gives us some advantage. These guys arent bad players but just find something that gives them a edge on saturdays.

ben, I am curious to see if we come out in 2 weeks with a different blocking scheme. Even if that means going 2 or even3 TE sets, with Bell, Muse, and Jenkins, we have to find something that gives us some advantage. These guys arent bad players but just find something that gives them a edge on saturdays.
I agree. We have two weeks before our next game. We have time to heal and improve.

I personally think this group needs to go back to the Lou Holtz offense. It won’t be pretty, but it would give them a fighters chance.

I beliI understand what your saying, I just dont agree fully, until he names Sat, as the Oline coach i dont see how you blame him for the Oline issues really. At some point players have to be held accountable as well.
I always thought the OC told the OL coach what blocking scheme to utilize for the offense he wants to run. IIRC preseason they were installing a pro-style zone blocking scheme. Last year, I believe we were using a gap scheme with pulling guards and tackles. One of the pregame stations on Saturday was explaining the difference between the two....basically what I got is the gap scheme is a more aggressive helmet on helmet blocking scheme whereas the zone scheme is a more passive and reactionary scheme based on what the defense is trying to do. An OL coach can correct me if I am mistaken.

I am to the point, now I would be open to any rational option there was if I was Sat. I called plays at the HS level and I know how frustrating it can be to have a set of plays you feel comfortable with due to how they looked in practice just to have them blown up in your face because the DLine blows up your line upfront. Its a rough spot to be in and at times you feel helpless. We need some key players in some key positions and until that happens, man its going to be rough around here. I do wish, we would try and go alittle more up tempo, and maybe some quick screens to get some guys free on the outside, maybe in some motion with someone like the speedy Brown. But IDK, they have a hell of a job to try and salvage something on this backend.

Those things you're saying are true but they're misleading. Our very best offensive lineman by a mile, Hutcherson is gone. Most of our rushing yards were against lesser opponents. Quality competition shut us down. Check the stats. That was before our best running back had back surgery.

These are unescapable facts.

I always thought the OC told the OL coach what blocking scheme to utilize for the offense he wants to run. IIRC preseason they were installing a pro-style zone blocking scheme. Last year, I believe we were using a gap scheme with pulling guards and tackles. One of the pregame stations on Saturday was explaining the difference between the two....basically what I got is the gap scheme is a more aggressive helmet on helmet blocking scheme whereas the zone scheme is a more passive and reactionary scheme based on what the defense is trying to do. An OL coach can correct me if I am mistaken.

Honestly, I'm not sure how this staff is breaking it down. Last year I think your right we were doing more gap and we did pull alot more last year, but our tackles weren't being blown up like they are now either so that could play into it. One thing I have noticed this year is we dont do or aren't able to do as many combo blocks. Last year we did a good job of this, where your fire off make initial contact with the helmet infront then combo off to the LB. I would love to hear our Oline coach explain what he is doing this year compared to last , but I'm not sure if we will ever get that.

Reactions: rogue cock
I agree. We have two weeks before our next game. We have time to heal and improve.

I personally think this group needs to go back to the Lou Holtz offense. It won’t be pretty, but it would give them a fighters c

Teams are already stacking the box and daring us to throw it. That offense barely worked with Dondrail Pinkins or Corey Jenkins. You think it's going to work with Zeb? 😳😳

Teams are already stacking the box and daring us to throw it. That offense barely worked with Dondrail Pinkins or Corey Jenkins. You think it's going to work with Zeb? 😳😳
I didn’t say it would be pretty. Shorten the game. Rarely throw the ball. Keep the clock running. Hope for good defense and to break a run here or there.

Outside of Vandy sitting in a prevent we’re not throwing the ball against ANYONE left on the schedule.

Those things you're saying are true but they're misleading. Our very best offensive lineman by a mile, Hutcherson is gone. Most of our rushing yards were against lesser opponents. Quality competition shut us down. Check the stats. That was before our best running back had back surgery.

These are unescapable facts.
Last year all games were SEC games so I’m not sure who is the “lesser competition” you’re speaking of. We ran for over 200 yards against Ole Miss and Kentucky and had over 100 in several others, including Florida. Most games we are not sniffing anything close to that this year in SEC play.

Hutcherson was good, but he wasn’t blocking an entire SEC defense by himself. You know better than that.

I’ll acknowledge back surgery may have had an impact on our best RB, but all of them look like they have concrete blocks attached to their feet.

We can make excuses for not producing all day if you want them.

Last year all games were SEC games so I’m not sure who is the “lesser competition” you’re speaking of. We ran for over 200 yards against Ole Miss and Kentucky and had over 100 in several others, including Florida. Most games we are not sniffing anything close to that this year in SEC play.

Hutcherson was good, but he wasn’t blocking an entire SEC defense by himself. You know better than that.

I’ll acknowledge back surgery may have had an impact on our best RB, but all of them look like they have concrete blocks attached to their feet.

We can make excuses for not producing all day if you want them.
Excuses are what they are but you're saying everything's the same and it's far from it. And yes one great offensive lineman makes a huge difference. Especially when it comes to getting them all to play together as a unit.

Last year we were 7th in the SEC in rushing and 13th in passing. We weren't that good. Everyone remembers Harris led the league and thinks that meant we were great. It didn't. We still won 2 games.

It still seems a huge part of the problem is predictability. A&M had multiple blitzes last night where they hit the line full speed at the snap. You aren’t doing that unless you know from film when the ball is being snapped and if there are tells on alignment. That is on the OC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT