ADVERTISEMENT

Old school wrestling ...tweet.

Sad. Read Bruno Sammartino just passed too.
Horrible news. Met Bruno on a cruise in 2004. Very humble and classy gentleman. As for Number 1, I'll proudly keep my handle. Now it's a tribute to Number 1 Paul Jones, not just a nod to the great wrestler with whom I shared a name.

Any of you old enough to remember the tag team of George Becker and Johnny Weaver? How about Sam Steamboat and Mr. Wrestling?

Reactions: wallycock
Horrible news. Met Bruno on a cruise in 2004. Very humble and classy gentleman. As for Number 1, I'll proudly keep my handle. Now it's a tribute to Number 1 Paul Jones, not just a nod to the great wrestler with whom I shared a name.
My cousin also shares that name. It's a sad day for wrestling fans indeed.

Any of you old enough to remember the tag team of George Becker and Johnny Weaver? How about Sam Steamboat and Mr. Wrestling?

I remember them all
I met Weaver at the 1st Legends Fanfest in 2004. I've got a picture of Weaver putting me in the sleeper. He was legit. Huge ears.

Ha. I also met weaver. On Mondays we had a lot of rasslin in Greenville. I was walking down the steps out of the Daniel Building and he was just walking down the street towards me. I spoke to him briefly. Said he was just killing time before the matches.

Didnt he tag team with my man Wahoo for a while? Then turned heel?
You are correct. He teamed with Wahoo in '75 or '76. Jones turned heel on Steamboat in the late 70s.
Thanks - speaking of Ricky steamboat - any of you remember when he was relatively skinny? As he got older he got bigger , but when he first started showing up on tv he was thin for a wrestler

The first time I ever had Tv in Georgetown was December 1954. I remember I stayed up late to watch rasslin. Stayed up till midnight Watched father-son team rasslin Bolo and the Great Bolo. Was hooked.
And, again, this was my first time ever having tv.

Reactions: stevestrat2
The first time I ever had Tv in Georgetown was December 1954. I remember I stayed up late to watch rasslin. Stayed up till midnight Watched father-son team rasslin Bolo and the Great Bolo. Was hooked.
And, again, this was my first time ever having tv.

Kids today don't know what they're missing........I loved growing up in the 60s.

Reactions: cocky4
Paul Jones broke a leg one night in Columbia back around 77..I think. He and Wahoo vs the Minn. Wrecking Crew. What a great show that Mid Atlantic put on...always well done and the crowd loved it.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Paul Jones was one of my favorites. He could jump the top rope and go straight into a leg kick. Time is passing us by.

When I first opened my store about 14 years ago this big dude walks in and wanted me to do a job for him. Wanted me to embroider his Leather jacket to match his tattoos. It was an impossible job simply because the jacket had to be taken apart...anyway to make a long story short he looked familiar so I asked his name. He was none other then the Undertaker...aka Mark Callaway. He had to squat to get through my door. He was in town for a WWE event. I should have gotten his autograph but he sort of scared me.

Reactions: jeff2001
Did Mr. Jones ever do bouts in the Charlotte area promoted by the late Jim Crockett, or appear on the local TV broadcasts that Mr. Crockett was associated with? I know Weaver and Wahoo did.

The first match I ever went to was an 8 man tag match. Paul Jones used brass knuckles on Ric Flair and it ended up being 3 vs 4. This would've been around 79. I was 6-7 at the time. Took place at the old Charlotte Coluseum.

The most consistent Tag Team in the world was Bill and Randy Mulkey. They were 0-180. They would fight anybody, anywhere, anytime. No matter how big, they went to that ring and did their Job. Their streak came to an end when they shook the wrestling world by beating the Gladiators. They could have been 0-200.
Mulch Rumania is a life style!,,

The most consistent Tag Team in the world was Bill and Randy Mulkey. They were 0-180. They would fight anybody, anywhere, anytime. No matter how big, they went to that ring and did their Job. Their streak came to an end when they shook the wrestling world by beating the Gladiators. They could have been 0-200.
Mulch Rumania is a life style!,,
You talk about physical specimens .
840adb8e25223eba2b4379c12d9d86db.jpg

Those were the good old days. Saturday afternoons on WBTV and Friday nights at the Park Center. Jim Crockett Promotions, Big Bill Ward (no relation) was the emcee. Mike Clancy, Billy Two Rivers, The Great Bolo - so many more. Those were the days.
Gordon Sole calling those punches to "the mid-section". Still not exactly sure where on the torso one locates the "mid section" .

Reactions: king ward

My favorite villains were Brute Bernard & Skull Murphy. Brute would strut like a crazed man around the ring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT