ADVERTISEMENT

One band or artist that is extremely overrated and one band grossly underrated

80s again
Underrated Big Country , they had several hits in England. But only in a big country was a big hit here. Fields of fire, Look away , were great songs.

Reactions: cockycurran
Overrated - modern bro country. I literally cannot take it. That would be hell for me - strap me in the fire and play Floriduh-Jawja line songs on repeat for all of eternity.
Underrated (criminally) - Tonic and Big Wreck.

Oh and if you don’t like journey, you cannot go to heaven. God is a huge Journey fan! Seriously. The voice? All common running thread throughout all my memories of the 80’s. And KISS sucks. Terrible musicians. Terrible lyrics. Pure crap. They are on the same level as Poison.

Im 100% with you on the Bro country . I think it’s the worst genre of music that ever existed . I would rather listen to mumble rap all day long than bro country . Glad we agree on Big Wreck , makes me sick that Cardi B has a #1 record and nobody knows about Big Wreck

Overrated: Duran Duran. I just did not understand it. There are a lot of bands I'm not necessarily a fan of, but I could appreciate their musicianship, but this music just escaped me.
Kiss: A lot of theatrics, not much else.

Underrated:
Warren Zevon: Sadly most only know him by his hit Werewolves of London.
Traffic : After Steve Winwood rejoined in 1970 they practically invented the Rock/Jazz fusion genre. The musicianship was impeccable. Glad and Empty Pages from John Barleycorn... , still stand up to this day.

Pick one each and explain why you don’t like the overrated band and post a video of your underrated band to illustrate why they’re underrated .

Overrated ; Journey . I hate everything about them . I hate the songs , hate the arrangements and overproduction . Amazing amazing musicians but I cringe every time Journey comes on the Radio .

Underrated : Big Wreck . Best band most people have never heard of . Ian Thornley is one of the best talents in the world . If Chris Cornell was also a guitar god you have Ian Thornley . Incredible , incredible band . Look forward to the responses . I’m sure we will have some disagreements

I agree with you about Journey.

Pick one each and explain why you don’t like the overrated band and post a video of your underrated band to illustrate why they’re underrated .

Overrated ; Journey . I hate everything about them . I hate the songs , hate the arrangements and overproduction . Amazing amazing musicians but I cringe every time Journey comes on the Radio .

Underrated : Big Wreck . Best band most people have never heard of . Ian Thornley is one of the best talents in the world . If Chris Cornell was also a guitar god you have Ian Thornley . Incredible , incredible band . Look forward to the responses . I’m sure we will have some disagreements

Totally agree on Big Wreck.

underrated: Wishbone Ash - British band credited by many as the first band with dual lead guitars that greatly influenced the southern rock sound.

overrated: Genesis
Saw these guys at the Township Auditorium back in the early 70's. Played on the same billing with Uriah Heep. I don't remember much....there was smoke in the air.

Reactions: mUSiC-man
Overrated Garth Brooks, I mean dang how cheesy could 1 guy be ?
Underrated Aaron Tippin, yes he went to Blue Ridge 10 years before me. But seriously, he is a very underrated song writer.

Have you ever been to a Garth Brooks concert?..I'd put him up there with Elvis and Mick as far as top frontmen go.

Over: Metallica. I know they have been persistent and earned the title. But everything after the black album has been weird. Fuel was their last good song that I know.

Overrated: Duran Duran. I just did not understand it. There are a lot of bands I'm not necessarily a fan of, but I could appreciate their musicianship, but this music just escaped me.

Underrated:
Traffic : After Steve Winwood rejoined in 1970 they practically invented the Rock/Jazz fusion genre. The musicianship was impeccable. Glad and Empty Pages from John Barleycorn... , still stand up to this day.
Duran Duran was popular for the music videos, which were essentially mini movies. With the advent of MTV, they were well ahead of their time in that regard.

FWIW, I love Duran Duran. Then again, what 80s girl doesn't. :cool:

Underrated:

Totally agree on both of those underrrated's.
My favorite Zevon son is LAwyers,Guns,and Money.You could make a great movie out of that song.
Winwood and Traffic........Smooooth!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Lol I know bro . Perry is amazing , Neil is amazing , Steve Smith one of the greatest drummers ever and .... I hate them . Absolutely detest their music . I appreciate the talent but it makes me wanna Stab pencils in my eye . I agree with you whole heartedly on OutKast. Also you may find this funny , I’ve gigged in various jam bands for 15 years and I HATE the Dead . Never got into them at all . I love Panic, ABB and Umphrey’s but I detest the dead . I played in a Dead cover band for about 6 months and still hate them !! Made a ton of cash tho , Hipsters with tons of cash love the Dead .
I'm an old 70's music guy and when the Dead came along I didn't get it then and I still don't get it. As for Umphreys, got to see a concert to really appreciate their jams. Saw a set (s) one time outdoors that began at 2 AM and ended at sunrise.

Duran Duran was popular for the music videos, which were essentially mini movies. With the advent of MTV, they were well ahead of their time in that regard.

FWIW, I love Duran Duran. Then again, what 80s girl doesn't. :cool:
I like Duran Duran. They're a pop group that transcended their subgenre and they're good musicians. Their later albums are good with staying power, not throwaways like we've come to expect from older bands like The Stones

Overrated ; KISS
Underrated; Marshall Tucker band

Well i know, it was long ago, BUT......

MTB was definitely underrated. Early on they were actually more poplar in other areas of the country than here.

And by the way - Skynyrd - not saying overrated or underrated, I'm just over them, as far as radio airplay goes. Wish stations would play some of their lesser known cuts.. When Free Bird, Saturday Night Special, Gimme Three Steps, and Sweeet Home Alabama come on, I can't change the station fast enough, and I used to love those songs.

Lol I know bro . Perry is amazing , Neil is amazing , Steve Smith one of the greatest drummers ever and .... I hate them . Absolutely detest their music . I appreciate the talent but it makes me wanna Stab pencils in my eye ..
Well, you obviously never had the Journey Escape game for Atari, because if you did you would still be wearing your Journey t-shirts everyday like me.

Don't stop believing, my friend!

Over: Metallica. I know they have been persistent and earned the title. But everything after the black album has been weird. Fuel was their last good song that I know.

St.Anger was awful but Death Magnetic was better. Hardwired has some really, really good songs on it. “Atlas Rise“ sounds like something off of And Justice For All. Really good song.

No doubt their new stuff isn’t as good as MOP or RTL. But I still love them. One of the greatest bands of all time.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
Overrated: ZZ Top. Everything they did before "Eliminator" was unique. Everything after "Eliminator" was "Eliminator."
Underrated: Triumph. Great songs and Rik Emmett is very underrated as a guitarist. Do yourselves a favor and listen to the "Allied Forces" album.

Triumph, yes! Awesome band. Hate it that they don't get much play on classic rock stations.

Reactions: TheReelEss
St.Anger was awful but Death Magnetic was better. Hardwired has some really, really good songs on it. “Atlas Rise“ sounds like something off of And Justice For All. Really good song.

No doubt their new stuff isn’t as good as MOP or RTL. But I still love them. One of the greatest bands of all time.
I tried it. I had St Anger and was really excited to get it. Quite the disappointment. And Reload was exactly that. They just lost me somewhere. It's funny because they really had me back in the day. Pantera came along and blew up the whole thrash scene and made the Big 4 look like old news in my eyes. I think after that I lost interest. However Megadeth's most recent release, Dystopia, is good and perhaps their 4th best album.

I tried it. I had St Anger and was really excited to get it. Quite the disappointment. And Reload was exactly that. They just lost me somewhere. It's funny because they really had me back in the day. Pantera came along and blew up the whole thrash scene and made the Big 4 look like old news in my eyes. I think after that I lost interest. However Megadeth's most recent release, Dystopia, is good and perhaps their 4th best album.

I think MetallicA even realizes St. Anger was $hit. they rarely play anything from it. If anything it would be “Frantic”. I was hoping James would start drinking again after that one...his songwriting went to hell in rehab.

• Haha
Reactions: TheReelEss
I think MetallicA even realizes St. Anger was $hit. they rarely play anything from it. If anything it would be “Frantic”. I was hoping James would start drinking again after that one...his songwriting went to hell in rehab.
I also lost a good bit of respect for them when I watched that movie.

MTB was definitely underrated. Early on they were actually more poplar in other areas of the country than here.

And by the way - Skynyrd - not saying overrated or underrated, I'm just over them, as far as radio airplay goes. Wish stations would play some of their lesser known cuts.. When Free Bird, Saturday Night Special, Gimme Three Steps, and Sweeet Home Alabama come on, I can't change the station fast enough, and I used to love those songs.
Honestly, Simple Man is my favorite Skynryrd song. Never played on radio.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster

They get a lot of air play because people love it. Personally I like all of it but the best Skynyrd stuff never made the radio. They were truly before their time. Legends

They get a lot of air play because people love it. Personally I like all of it but the best Skynyrd stuff never made the radio. They were truly before their time. Legends
It isn't that Freebird is not a good song. It's that it's played three times a day on any Fox radio affiliate station. I think they play it every time the DJ wants a smoke break. The same with most of the first Boston album. You can't fault Boston for being that good. But they sure do wear it out in classic rock stations. WRFX Charlotte only has maybe 150 songs they'll play anymore. Are we to assume those were the only rock hits of the 70's?

I'd go with "The Needle and The Spoon." You never hear it on the radio.
Have you heard their song Junkie. It was a demo and it's on the self-titled box set released in the 90s. Very cool song. Of course, it's not radio material.

Overrated: Kenny Rogers. I really liked the guy and he had many great hits, both as an individual, a lead singer of a group, and his duets with several prominent female singers. But his success lay in the songs he was privileged to sing and the production that went into making them sound good. His voice was thin and reedy, he had little volume, and his range was narrow. I find it hard to think of a crossover artist who went farther on less talent. Again, this is a comment on his singing ability. I truly did like the guy.
Talking about overrated- Porter Wagoner

Reactions: tngamecock#
Overrated ; KISS
Underrated; Marshall Tucker band

Well i know, it was long ago, BUT......

I was a HUGE MTB fan back in the day. I walked out of their concert mid song number 2 a few years back, Doug Gray was plastered!

I'm an old 70's music guy and when the Dead came along I didn't get it then and I still don't get it. As for Umphreys, got to see a concert to really appreciate their jams. Saw a set (s) one time outdoors that began at 2 AM and ended at sunrise.

Yeah Umphreys is unreal . I was supposed to go to my second show In Sept and yeah you guessed It ....canceled due to Covid . Not a phish fan either . Just not my speed . I like Umphreys and Panic Better because it has more of an “Edge” I guess . Also being a musician I could watch Jimmy Herring and Jake Cinniger play all day and night !!!

I'll go some old school:
Underrated- The Hollies, April Wine, Foreigner, Marshall Crenshaw
Overrated- Blondie, Duran Duran, The Police
Totally agree with Hollies and Marshall Crenshaw
Totally disagree with The Police. As a musical junkie and someone who plays drums, I can attest that Stewart Copeland is the best I've ever seen. Police could be a thinking man's band with songs such as King of Pain and Synchronicity I & II, and then just for fun Walking On The Moon, Regatta de Blanc or Canary In A Coal Mine.

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
Over: Agree with Dead and Phish. I’ve never tried to listen on acid though so that may be the difference

Under: Weezer. One of the few groups where I’ve listened to albums multiple times and never skipped tracks.

Overrated: Pink Floyd, all I can say is people must have been on some good drugs. Never liked anything of their music.
Underrated: Brad Paisley. I had to go to one of his concerts with my daughter And some of her friends and was throughly impressed. Always thought he was kind of corny, but he is a really talented musician.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT