ADVERTISEMENT

One band or artist that is extremely overrated and one band grossly underrated

Overrated: Pink Floyd, all I can say is people must have been on some good drugs. Never liked anything of their music.
Underrated: Brad Paisley. I had to go to one of his concerts with my daughter And some of her friends and was throughly impressed. Always thought he was kind of corny, but he is a really talented musician.
Paisley is a better guitarist than singer.

Reactions: Tmac069
Overrated Queen. "Under pressure" it wasnt even that big a hit. Its played on the radio more today than it was back then.
Underrated David and David ."Welcome to the boomtown". Love that song but it barely cracked the top 40. 1986

Pick one each and explain why you don’t like the overrated band and post a video of your underrated band to illustrate why they’re underrated .

Overrated ; Journey . I hate everything about them . I hate the songs , hate the arrangements and overproduction . Amazing amazing musicians but I cringe every time Journey comes on the Radio .

Underrated : Big Wreck . Best band most people have never heard of . Ian Thornley is one of the best talents in the world . If Chris Cornell was also a guitar god you have Ian Thornley . Incredible , incredible band . Look forward to the responses . I’m sure we will have some disagreements

I’m genuinely shocked to see Big Wreck mentioned so many times on here (or even once). Still one of my favorite bands. They had a spell in the late 90’s, early 2000’s when they came through Columbia a lot - which I suppose is where people on here got to know them. Tremendous band all around.

Overrated: Pink Floyd, all I can say is people must have been on some good drugs. Never liked anything of their music.
Underrated: Brad Paisley. I had to go to one of his concerts with my daughter And some of her friends and was throughly impressed. Always thought he was kind of corny, but he is a really talented musician.

Floyd Seriously!?! Wow that’s a shocker . Listen to Animals . That’s by far my favorite Floyd album . Listen to “Dogs” It’s a absolute masterpiece. Floyd is one of those bands that I could listen to 24 hours a day and never get tired of . And yes Brad Paisley is a beast. He has an instrumental album out that is mind blowing .

Yeah Umphreys is unreal . I was supposed to go to my second show In Sept and yeah you guessed It ....canceled due to Covid . Not a phish fan either . Just not my speed . I like Umphreys and Panic Better because it has more of an “Edge” I guess . Also being a musician I could watch Jimmy Herring and Jake Cinniger play all day and night !!!
Got to see Panic a few years back and they did not disappoint.

Floyd Seriously!?! Wow that’s a shocker . Listen to Animals . That’s by far my favorite Floyd album . Listen to “Dogs” It’s a absolute masterpiece. Floyd is one of those bands that I could listen to 24 hours a day and never get tired of . And yes Brad Paisley is a beast. He has an instrumental album out that is mind blowing .
Sorry about Floyd, just never been a fan.

I’m genuinely shocked to see Big Wreck mentioned so many times on here (or even once). Still one of my favorite bands. They had a spell in the late 90’s, early 2000’s when they came through Columbia a lot - which I suppose is where people on here got to know them. Tremendous band all around.

How are they not one of the biggest bands in the world?? . I think they just write music that is just way over the heads of casual music listeners. Ian Thornley is definitely one of my favorite musicians right now . Amazing how many insanely good bands come from Canada : Rush , Triumph , Big Wreck etc etc ... we will forget Nickelback exists. Haha

Sorry about Floyd, just never been a fan.

i get it . I’m the same way with Journey . Everybody loves journey and they absolutely make my skin crawl . I tell another weird one . I’ve been playing Guitar since I was 8 (I’m 45 now ) and I don’t like Eric Clapton . Incredible player but I just don’t like it

Over: probably a generational thing but hell I’ll say it, the Beatles. And probably I just don’t “get it” but Radiohead after the early stuff.
Yikes...two of my absolute favorites! At least you have good taste in football

i get it . I’m the same way with Journey . Everybody loves journey and they absolutely make my skin crawl . I tell another weird one . I’ve been playing Guitar since I was 8 (I’m 45 now ) and I don’t like Eric Clapton . Incredible player but I just don’t like it
I’m with ya on Journey!!!

Overrated: ZZ Top. Everything they did before "Eliminator" was unique. Everything after "Eliminator" was "Eliminator."
Underrated: Triumph. Great songs and Rik Emmett is very underrated as a guitarist. Do yourselves a favor and listen to the "Allied Forces" album.

Great call on Triumph.

I used to say I wish there was a Pink Floyd/early ZZ Top station. Two really different rock interpretations of the blues.

Over: Aerosmith. They made the same album over and over. Basically, the Stones Light with a singer who can't sing.

Under: Nazareth. So many good songs that weren't hits.
Honorable Mention: Nantucket

Good call on Aerosmith. I think they had good stuff in their first few albums, but they went downhill quickly. You are exactly right. They make the same song over and over and over, especially Permanent Vacation and beyond.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I'm with you on Pink Floyd. Outside of "Comfortably Numb" I don't really like anything they've done. I think they're kind of like Rush. You "get" Rush or you don't. I get Rush but not Floyd.

Totally agree with Hollies and Marshall Crenshaw
Totally disagree with The Police. As a musical junkie and someone who plays drums, I can attest that Stewart Copeland is the best I've ever seen. Police could be a thinking man's band with songs such as King of Pain and Synchronicity I & II, and then just for fun Walking On The Moon, Regatta de Blanc or Canary In A Coal Mine.
Doesn't mean I don't like them (The Police) but I've seen polls where the Police was a top 10 band of all time. I have a ton of Police on my play list but just don't see them as a top 10 band...but having said that would pay money to see them in concert.

We're American Band was a classic. One of the first 45's i bought as a kid.
I like their really deep cuts like Paranoid. They were sort of a protometal band, but still rooted in the blues. They had some awesome long jams on their live albums.

Reactions: psmith5532
Underrrated:Montrose..........saw them at The Flying Dutchman in Charleston in the 70's
Underrated: The band of my 20's The Killer Whales

Overrated:This new country crap like Dan and Shay or Sam Hunt.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Good call on Aerosmith. I think they had good stuff in their first few albums, but they went downhill quickly. You are exactly right. They make the same song over and over and over, especially Permanent Vacation and beyond.

Heroin tends adverse affects on people .

Underrated:
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Radiohead
Pearl Jam
My Morning Jacket
Modest Mouse
Nirvana
Nine Inch Nails
Live
Tool
Rage Against the Machine
Everclear
Pixies
Alabama Shakes/Brittany Howard
Fleet Foxes
Vampire Weekend
Yuck
Tennis
STRFKR
Beach Fossils
Whitney
Brand New
Death Cab for Cutie
Between the Buried and Me
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Grizzly Bear

Overrated:
Bob Dylan
Rolling Stones
Macklemore
Grateful Dead
Dave Matthews Band
Audioslave
Foo Fighters
Arcade Fire
Real Estate
Kevin Morby
Ryan Adams
Manchester Orchestra

Underrated:
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Radiohead
Pearl Jam
My Morning Jacket
Modest Mouse
Nirvana
Nine Inch Nails
Live
Tool
Rage Against the Machine
Everclear
Pixies
Fleet Foxes
Vampire Weekend
Yuck
Tennis
STRFKR
Beach Fossils
Whitney
Brand New
Death Cab for Cutie
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Grizzly Bear

Overrated:
Bob Dylan
Rolling Stones
Macklemore
Grateful Dead
Dave Matthews Band
Audioslave
Foo Fighters
Arcade Fire
Real Estate
Kevin Morby
Ryan Adams
Manchester Orchestra

Beatles under rated? In what dimension of this universe?

But thanks for mentioning Alabama Shakes / Brittany Howard.

Underrrated:Montrose..........saw them at The Flying Dutchman in Charleston in the 70's
Underrated: The band of my 20's The Killer Whales

Overrated:This new country crap like Dan and Shay or Sam Hunt.
Ah...the Killer Whales. I saw them a few times in Charleston at the Wind Jammer. Still have their first album.

Underrated:
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Radiohead
Pearl Jam
My Morning Jacket
Modest Mouse
Nirvana
Nine Inch Nails
Live
Tool
Rage Against the Machine
Everclear
Pixies
Fleet Foxes
Vampire Weekend
Yuck
Tennis
STRFKR
Beach Fossils
Whitney
Brand New
Death Cab for Cutie
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Grizzly Bear

Overrated:
Bob Dylan
Rolling Stones
Macklemore
Grateful Dead
Dave Matthews Band
Audioslave
Foo Fighters
Arcade Fire
Real Estate
Kevin Morby
Ryan Adams
Manchester Orchestra
Not judging...But how can the Beatles be underrated when they are considered by most to be the greatest/most influential band of all time?

Not judging...But how can the Beatles be underrated when they are considered by most to be the greatest/most influential band of all time?

I will say this... the Beatles are somewhat underrated in terms of their innovation and musicianship . Those dudes were incredibly creative . Perfect example ... the most common chord progression in music is the 1 1V V v1 . Basically any pop song you’ve ever heard is this progression . You will know it when you hear it . Every song on new country radio and I mean EVERY SONG is this progression . With the hundred of songs the Beatles wrote only one song “Let it Be” used this progression . It shows how incredibly creative they were for a pop band . Oh btw if you don’t believe me on how bad and generic new Nashville country is listen to this .

Reactions: psmith5532
Over: Black Sabbath with Ozzy. Of course, I still like them.
Under: Black Sabbath with Dio and with Ian Gillan.

Overrated Men at work " land down under"
Underrated Men at work " overkill " .
1 of the best song ever.

Reactions: ToddFlanders
Overrated: Jimmy Buffett and Bob Dylan. Just got real tired of JB and never got Dylan.
Underrated: Delaney and Bonnie (and Friends)- Screaming Cheetah Wheelies

Everyone I would have mentioned for Overrated has already been listed.

My underrated list is going to contain some that have already been mentioned but here goes:

Blue Oyster Cult
UFO
Accept
Little Feat
The Band
Mott the Hoople
Nazareth
Faces
James Gang
Cinderella
Montrose
Cactus
Gary Moore
Dixie Dregs
King Crimson
Frank Zappa

AND MY NUMBER ONE MOST UNDERRATED BAND EVER EVER EVER - HUMBLE PIE

Saw these guys at the Township Auditorium back in the early 70's. Played on the same billing with Uriah Heep. I don't remember much....there was smoke in the air.
I had no idea they ever played in Columbia, obviously you had a good time!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT