ADVERTISEMENT

One band or artist that is extremely overrated and one band grossly underrated

BobbyBReloaded1975

Oct 26, 2019
Pick one each and explain why you don’t like the overrated band and post a video of your underrated band to illustrate why they’re underrated .

Overrated ; Journey . I hate everything about them . I hate the songs , hate the arrangements and overproduction . Amazing amazing musicians but I cringe every time Journey comes on the Radio .

Underrated : Big Wreck . Best band most people have never heard of . Ian Thornley is one of the best talents in the world . If Chris Cornell was also a guitar god you have Ian Thornley . Incredible , incredible band . Look forward to the responses . I’m sure we will have some disagreements

Reactions: SCexpat38
Over: Aerosmith. They made the same album over and over. Basically, the Stones Light with a singer who can't sing.

Under: Nazareth. So many good songs that weren't hits.
Honorable Mention: Nantucket

Reactions: SCexpat38
I’ll do a Seattle Grunge Edition:

Overrated: Pearl Jam
Underrated: Alice n Chains

I like them both FWIW.
Overrated: Candlebox. I had tix to Metallica with Alice In Chains and Staley was too sick to tour and went to rehab. They were replaced by Candlebox. Second time I've seen them and they're awful. All you can hear is bass.

Overrated: Candlebox. I had tix to Metallica with Alice In Chains and Staley was too sick to tour and went to rehab. They were replaced by Candlebox. Second time I've seen them and they're awful. All you can hear is bass.

Never been a huge Candlebox fan myself. I usually skip their two popular songs when they come on.

Overrated: Kenny Rogers. I really liked the guy and he had many great hits, both as an individual, a lead singer of a group, and his duets with several prominent female singers. But his success lay in the songs he was privileged to sing and the production that went into making them sound good. His voice was thin and reedy, he had little volume, and his range was narrow. I find it hard to think of a crossover artist who went farther on less talent. Again, this is a comment on his singing ability. I truly did like the guy.

underrated: Wishbone Ash - British band credited by many as the first band with dual lead guitars that greatly influenced the southern rock sound.

overrated: Genesis

Last edited:
Reactions: TheReelEss
Let me preface this by saying it’s my personal opinion and to each his own. Also, I know I’m gonna get killed for this, but...

Overrated: Led Zeppelin-I just never got into it. To whacked out and drugged up for my taste. Also, one of their best songs (Rock n Roll) Heart did a better version.

Underrated: KISS- (original 4) not pretentious or pretended to be preachy. Just fun and entertaining.

Also, I like Journey, but mostly their early stuff. Their early 80’s stuff is good, but I like their late 70’s stuff even better.

Let me preface this by saying it’s my personal opinion and to each his own. Also, I know I’m gonna get killed for this, but...

Overrated: Led Zeppelin-I just never got into it. To whacked out and drugged up for my taste. Also, one of their best songs (Rock n Roll) Heart did a better version.

Underrated: KISS- (original 4) not pretentious or pretended to be preachy. Just fun and entertaining.

Also, I like Journey, but mostly their early stuff. Their early 80’s stuff is good, but I like their late 70’s stuff even better.
for me,I still enjoy zeppelin.

completely burned out on queen and Floyd.

KISS was great in the the 70s,felt like they were capable of more.

Last edited:
for me,I still enjoy zeppelin.

completely burned out on queen and Floyd.

KISS was great in the the 70s,felt like they were capable of more.
KISS was great in the the 70s,”felt like they were capable of more
I see what you’re saying here. 3 things probably kept them from this. Gene and Paul didn’t want to use outside song writers, they found a formula that started making them tons of $ so they stuck with it, and Ace and Peter started living the stereotypical rock star life style.

KISS was great in the the 70s,”felt like they were capable of more
I see what you’re saying here. 3 things probably kept them from this. Gene and Paul didn’t want to use outside song writers, they found a formula that started making them tons of $ so they stuck with it, and Ace and Peter started living the stereotypical rock star life style.
And the 80’s came.

Big changes from 79 to 82

I love The Clash but I do think there a little overrated

If Creedence is the Soundtrack to Vietnam. Slipknot was the Soundtrack to Iraq. Totally underrated

Overrated: Kenny Rogers. I really liked the guy and he had many great hits, both as an individual, a lead singer of a group, and his duets with several prominent female singers. But his success lay in the songs he was privileged to sing and the production that went into making them sound good. His voice was thin and reedy, he had little volume, and his range was narrow. I find it hard to think of a crossover artist who went farther on less talent. Again, this is a comment on his singing ability. I truly did like the guy.
Some of Kenny’s songs were written by Athens, Ga State Farm agent Mike Dekle. I have heard Mike perform before. He is absolutely hilarious and very underrated.

Reactions: king ward
Overrated: Country in the 2000s. U2. Modern Christian music. Ukuleles.

Underrated: Country before the 2000s. Every metal band ever. Ancient Christian music. Silence.

Pick one each and explain why you don’t like the overrated band and post a video of your underrated band to illustrate why they’re underrated .

Overrated ; Journey . I hate everything about them . I hate the songs , hate the arrangements and overproduction . Amazing amazing musicians but I cringe every time Journey comes on the Radio .

Underrated : Big Wreck . Best band most people have never heard of . Ian Thornley is one of the best talents in the world . If Chris Cornell was also a guitar god you have Ian Thornley . Incredible , incredible band . Look forward to the responses . I’m sure we will have some disagreements

Reactions: tngamecock#
Overrated: Journey. Agree with OP on that one. I'd add Styx as a runner up. Hated that band as a kid.

Underrated: Early REO Speedwagon. Before they went all pop they turned out some great rock and roll.

I will fight you over some Journey. Steve Perry had some pipes, boi. lol

Overrated: Grateful Dead. Got so tired of hearing that mess as a yute.

Underrated: Outkast. Should already be know as hip-hop's greatest duo.

Lol I know bro . Perry is amazing , Neil is amazing , Steve Smith one of the greatest drummers ever and .... I hate them . Absolutely detest their music . I appreciate the talent but it makes me wanna Stab pencils in my eye . I agree with you whole heartedly on OutKast. Also you may find this funny , I’ve gigged in various jam bands for 15 years and I HATE the Dead . Never got into them at all . I love Panic, ABB and Umphrey’s but I detest the dead . I played in a Dead cover band for about 6 months and still hate them !! Made a ton of cash tho , Hipsters with tons of cash love the Dead .

Reactions: leftneck
I’ll do a Seattle Grunge Edition:

Overrated: Pearl Jam
Underrated: Alice n Chains

I like them both FWIW.

Good call on Alice. I always said Alice was the closest thing to an American Zeppelin . If not for Layne’s passing there’s no telling . I played Jar of Flies so many times it literally melted in my tape deck .

Reactions: lostcock
Ditto on Beyoncé. I don’t get it. Janet could still school her, not to mention many other lovely R&B ladies. Also on The Outfield. Distinctive voice, a lot more that just 1 good song, and playing them takes me right back to 1986. I was even cheesy and bought a shirt with the Play Deep album cover on it, which is actually a really cool cover. RIP Tony

Reactions: paleoorthocock
Over: probably a generational thing but hell I’ll say it, the Beatles. And probably I just don’t “get it” but Radiohead after the early stuff.

Under: there are tons of these no doubt, but Old 97s comes to mind. Saw them 2 or 3 years ago at Tin Roof in front of what had to be less than 50 people. I can’t believe they would still be up for that but they gave it their all. And Rhett Miller looks like he must sleep in a cryogenic chamber or something. In an interesting sports connection, his granddad owned the 1952 Dallas Texans NFL franchise that went bankrupt. Just a little ahead of his time.

Reactions: tngamecock#

Zeppelin is one of the greatest bands of all time. And outside of a handul of songs KISS sucks IMO.

Overrated: Tim Mcgraw. Guy can't sing worth a lick. Guess he has appeal to the ladies so he sells records/tickets.

Oh man Zeppelin ?!!! I get it , i know a lot of people who don’t . I personally think Zeppelin is far and away the greatest band in history . Every rock band since has be somewhat influenced by LZ but none can pull it off . Give me a chance here ... humor me and listen to these three songs and see if I can somewhat change your mind . None of these would be considered “Mainstream” Zeppelin songs . Just try it

Overrated: ZZ Top. Everything they did before "Eliminator" was unique. Everything after "Eliminator" was "Eliminator."
Underrated: Triumph. Great songs and Rik Emmett is very underrated as a guitarist. Do yourselves a favor and listen to the "Allied Forces" album.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Overrated - modern bro country. I literally cannot take it. That would be hell for me - strap me in the fire and play Floriduh-Jawja line songs on repeat for all of eternity.
Underrated (criminally) - Tonic and Big Wreck.

Oh and if you don’t like journey, you cannot go to heaven. God is a huge Journey fan! Seriously. The voice? All common running thread throughout all my memories of the 80’s. And KISS sucks. Terrible musicians. Terrible lyrics. Pure crap. They are on the same level as Poison.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT