ADVERTISEMENT

One hell of a decade Gamecocks

The Univ of South Carolina is the only D1 school to have finished in the Top 4 of colleges this decade (2010-2019) in Football, Mens Hoops, Women’s Hoops and Baseball. No other school in the nation can say that. @uofsc @GamecockFB @GamecockMBB @GamecockWBB @GamecockBasebll

Carolina Forever
More proof that we honestly did not take advantage of what this decade offered us, outside of WBB.

10 years ago we only wondered if we could ever win big in any sport other than baseball. Don’t buy into the notion that our expectations should be lower and we should just be happy winning 8 games in football. With the right administration and coaching we may one day win it all in football and men’s basketball. Here’s to a new decade and the hope that we finish this one better than we start it!

Go Gamecocks!

Decade has one more year though. 2011-2020. You don't start counting at zero...
That's incorrect. The 80's didn't include 1990, nor did the 90's include 2000. Also, a baby isn't born at age 1.

According to the Gregorian calendar (the one most of the world uses), the decade of the 2010's began on January 1, 2010 and will end on December 31, 2019. That's why you see all kinds of "best of the decade" lists being reviewed as we approach NYD. We begin a new decade next week.

That's incorrect. The 80's didn't include 1990, nor did the 90's include 2000. Also, a baby isn't born at age 1.

According to the Gregorian calendar (the one most of the world uses), the decade of the 2010's began on January 1, 2010 and will end on December 31, 2019. That's why you see all kinds of "best of the decade" lists being reviewed as we approach NYD. We begin a new decade next week.

Exactly!

Argue it all you want, unless the year you are celebrating is the past year [i.e this year is the 2,020th year which will culminate in the turning from 2019 to 2020] then 2020 is the last year in 2011 decade. It is simple math. A baby turns 1 at the end of their first year. The first year on the calendar was 1, not 0. Sorry to break the logic for you. ;)

I'm only half arguing this because it is actually a debatable topic (you can look it up) and there is enough for both sides to claim right. I do actually believe that just like 10 is the culmination of 1-10, 2020 will be the culmination of 2011-2020. But please, don't take it to heart. You're not wrong, you're just not right either.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Wait, our football program just got blown out by UVA in a bowl... didn’t even qualify for a bowl this year and we are the best this decade?

no ray Tanner..... You still have to go....... football is king and the program isn’t even decent

Buddy, the college world series and women's final 4 receives a ton of national attention and people care. Soccer not So much. Not a good comparison. Congrats to Clempson football going 6-5 against USC the past 11 years. Everybody knows they are cheating like shit again. Just like the 80s when they were banned from TV and a bowl for 3 years. Weird when Clempson fans are so obsessed on the rivals message board. Sad really.
FYI, good soccer team and winning national titles like USC baseball and women's hoops is different

pck2y3aaqz641.png

Reactions: Tall Squirrel
One hell of a decade Gamecocks
Yet I look at the landscape as it is now and see dust and ashes. And here's the deal: football and men's basketball are the only two sports that a Power Five school can use to raise its profile. Everything else is complementary. And in the SEC, football has always been and will always be KING. We need to get with the program.

Yet I look at the landscape as it is now and see dust and ashes. And here's the deal: football and men's basketball are the only two sports that a Power Five school can use to raise its profile. Everything else is complementary. And in the SEC, football has always been and will always be KING. We need to get with the program.

We are doing what we always have. Sec money hasn’t benefited us. Facilities hasn’t benefited us. We always ave around 18-25 in recruiting and usually have an opportunity to go to one game above or below .500. With or with out facility upgrades and conference money.

That’s like saying the millennium began in 2001 and not 2000—sheesh...you’re wrong dude. You probably think the earth is flat too.
No, technically it did begin in 2001. Common use has turned it around. It's like driving on the highway. If everyone else is driving on the left side of the road, driving down the right side of the road, while technically correct is not right. Same thing. Why do you think that the millennium started in 2000? I've given you evidence (the calendar starts on year 1, so at the end of the first year it became year 2) which means, if you count, the first decade ended at the end of year 10. Year 11 began the next one. So where did we lose a year that 2000 starts a new decade/millennium and 2020 starts a new decade? I was arguing in fun, then you people start insulting intelligence like simple math is beyond you because it doesn't feel right.

But I'm the one who probably believes the Earth is flat? Refute me with actual fact rather than "it just is derrrr"

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Argue it all you want, unless the year you are celebrating is the past year [i.e this year is the 2,020th year which will culminate in the turning from 2019 to 2020] then 2020 is the last year in 2011 decade. It is simple math. A baby turns 1 at the end of their first year. The first year on the calendar was 1, not 0. Sorry to break the logic for you. ;)

I'm only half arguing this because it is actually a debatable topic (you can look it up) and there is enough for both sides to claim right. I do actually believe that just like 10 is the culmination of 1-10, 2020 will be the culmination of 2011-2020. But please, don't take it to heart. You're not wrong, you're just not right either.

I'm not so sure there is much to debate about this topic. The OP based this thread on a tweeted comment. The OP of that tweet based his/her comments on a decade (period of ten (10) consecutive years) beginning with 2010 and going through 2019. You're simply debating that the proper beginning and ending of a calendar decade begins with 2011 and ends with 2020, but the OP of the tweet hasn't really argued what you're arguing here, to begin with, has he/she? Just that in the last 10 years (from 2010 through 2019) USC has done something no other Div. I school can say they have done, in the same time period of time.

Now, if you're here to debate this particular position, THEN you have a debatable argument. But you haven't really done that, have you?

Reactions: paladin181
No, technically it did begin in 2001. Common use has turned it around. It's like driving on the highway. If everyone else is driving on the left side of the road, driving down the right side of the road, while technically correct is not right. Same thing. Why do you think that the millennium started in 2000? I've given you evidence (the calendar starts on year 1, so at the end of the first year it became year 2) which means, if you count, the first decade ended at the end of year 10. Year 11 began the next one. So where did we lose a year that 2000 starts a new decade/millennium and 2020 starts a new decade? I was arguing in fun, then you people start insulting intelligence like simple math is beyond you because it doesn't feel right.

But I'm the one who probably believes the Earth is flat? Refute me with actual fact rather than "it just is derrrr"
Bud I’m just busting your balls—take a joke. Believe whatever you want to.

Reactions: paladin181
Wait, our football program just got blown out by UVA in a bowl... didn’t even qualify for a bowl this year and we are the best this decade?

no ray Tanner..... You still have to go....... football is king and the program isn’t even decent

You must have graduated from Clemson, to be able to read and interpret the thread context this poorly.....

Reactions: rogue cock
Here are a few things I remember fondly prior to this decade.......... given more time, I would come up with a few more
Mike Hold
JO MO
Sterling Sharpe
David Pitchko
Brad Edwards
Phil Petty
Ryan Brewer (the running back)
Ryan Brewer (the receiver)
Rob Deboer (the running back
Rob Deboer (the catcher)
Steve Taneyhill
Harold Green
Lou
BJ McKie
Melvin Watson
(too young to remember Alex English but dude is the hall of fame so)

Reactions: SCexpat38

But if I actually cared to debate you on THIS particular topic, OK, then lets have at it: YOU'RE WRONG!!

What you're arguing, is numerical. What we're arguing is, chronological. It's apples to oranges. Here's why:

Yes it is not correct to start counting numerically from 0 to....whatever. Typically, people start counting with "1". And in order to get to ten (10) numbers - numerically - one has to include the number "10", because again, 0 is not typically included.

But again, this issue is chronological, not numerical. When one says, "he's in his twenties", they don't mean from 21 to 30. A thirty-year old is NOT in his/her "twenties" - they are beginning with their "thirties".

Here is another example of chronological usage that applies even more to our debate: Are we in the 21st Century, or the 20th? If the year is 2019, then it should be the 20th Century, correct? It would have to be 2119, to be in the 21st Century, right?

But its not correct. The 21st Century includes from 2000 through 2099, just like the 20th Century included 1900 through 1999. Just like the 19th Century included 1800 through 1899.

Because the very FIRST Century included Year 0 through Year 99. Year "0"??? There is no such thing, right?

But there is. They don't call it Year 1 one day out of the gate. You have to actually compile 365 days for it to be Year 1. It could be within Year 1 50 days into it, but you never say you've lived one year 50 days into it. A full year is 365 days long.

But a "year" is NOT numerical, it's chronological. An entire year lasts 365 days. So chronologically speaking, it IS Year 1 even 50 days into it. Just as when January 1st gets here, it will be 2020, even though only ONE (1) single day has passed. In fact, that day doesn't even HAVE to pass - it will be 2020 a second into January 1st, because 2019 years will have officially passed into history, according to the calendar. And the calendar is totally chronological.

To support YOUR debate, we've have to throw away all that first year that precedes the 365th day of Year 1. 365 days is a lot of time to just throw away. We can't add them to the previous year: this calendar chronology relates to the birth of Jesus Christ. So we add those 365 days to the timeline known as B.C., or Before Christ? So we add a whole year that came after Christ was born, to the time period before he was born? That makes 0 sense, no pun intended.

So, YES - Year "1" started at "0", and ended 365 days later. The whole year, was Year "1". And Year 2010 also started at "0", or one second after December 31st, 2009 ended. That whole year, was Year 2010. So while it ends with a "0", it still was a "1", when you count chronologically. Just not numerically.

SO, to end your debate as a loss for you, this past decade began January 1st, 2010, and ends December 31st, 2019. Sorry.....

Last edited:
But if I actually cared to debate you on THIS particular topic, OK, then lets have at it: YOU'RE WRONG!!

What you're arguing, is numerical. What we're arguing is, chronological. It's apples to oranges. Here's why:

Yes it is not correct to start counting numerically from 0 to....whatever. Typically, people start counting with "1". And in order to get to ten (10) numbers - numerically - one has to include the number "10", because again, 0 is not typically included.

But again, this issue is chronological, not numerical. When one says, "he's in his twenties", they don't mean from 21 to 30. A thirty-year old is NOT in his/her "twenties" - they are beginning with their "thirties".

Here is another example of chronological usage that applies even more to our debate: Are we in the 21st Century, or the 20th? If the year is 2019, then it should be the 20th Century, correct? It would have to be 2119, to be in the 21st Century, right?

But its not correct. The 21st Century includes from 2000 through 2099, just like the 20th Century included 1900 through 1999. Just like the 19th Century included 1800 through 1899.

Because the very FIRST Century included Year 0 through Year 99. Year "0"??? There is no such thing, right?

But there is. They don't call it Year 1 one day out of the gate. You have to actually compile 365 days for it to be Year 1. It could be within Year 1 50 days into it, but you never say you've lived one year 50 days into it. A full year is 365 days long.

But a "year" is NOT numerical, it's chronological. An entire year lasts 365 days. So chronologically speaking, it IS Year 1 even 50 days into it. Just as when January 1st gets here, it will be 2020, even though only ONE (1) single day has passed. In fact, that day doesn't even HAVE to pass - it will be 2020 a second into January 1st, because 2019 years will have officially passed into history, according to the calendar. And the calendar is totally chronological.

To support YOUR debate, we've have to throw away all that first year that precedes the 365th day of Year 1. 365 days is a lot of time to just throw away. We can't add them to the previous year: this calendar chronology relates to the birth of Jesus Christ. So we add those 365 days to the timeline known as B.C., or Before Christ? So we add a whole year that came after Christ was born, to the time period before he was born? That makes 0 sense, no pun intended.

So, YES - Year "1" started at "0", and ended 365 days later. The whole year, was Year "1". And Year 2010 also started at "0", or one second after December 31st, 2009 ended. That whole year, was Year 2010. So while it ends with a "0", it still was a "1", when you count chronologically. Just not numerically.

SO, to end your debate as a loss for you, this past decade began January 1st, 2010, and ends December 31st, 2019. Sorry.....
This is the discussion I was looking for. To retort, I point you to that a human celebrates his age at the culmination of the year (a celebration of anniversaries of birth) so that a 10 year old has lived 10 years. However, years on the calendar are not labeled according to the year completed, but the year it is. So year 1 culminated when the calendar changed over to year 2, where as age is measured so that your first year ends on your first birthday. So the decade culminates at the end of the year labeled 9 (when he turns 10). So a person born on Jan 1, 1980 would age with the year count. They would turn 1 at the beginning of 1981, and would turn 10 (having completed 10 years) in 1990. But year 0 did not exist. A person born on January 1, 1 would turn 1 at the beginning of year 2, and would complete a decade of life upon turning 10 at the beginning of year 11.

The decade ends on the 0s, and begins on the 1s. Not apples and oranges, just apples and slightly different colored apples. Thanks for your explanation though. At least it wasn't "you're wrong because everyone knows that".

A decade is defined as a period of ten years. That's it. It doesn't have to start on a 1 or 0. It just has to be ten years. And in the last ten years the OP is correct.

We are doing what we always have. Sec money hasn’t benefited us. Facilities hasn’t benefited us. We always ave around 18-25 in recruiting and usually have an opportunity to go to one game above or below .500. With or with out facility upgrades and conference money.
you do understand that the facilities are just now getting in place,correct? lets at least give that part a full year before we condemn that,ok?

A decade is defined as a period of ten years. That's it. It doesn't have to start on a 1 or 0. It just has to be ten years. And in the last ten years the OP is correct.

I've already responded to the other topic, which was what this thread was about, and I already stated exactly what you just did, LOL......

Here are a few things I remember fondly prior to this decade.......... given more time, I would come up with a few more
Mike Hold
JO MO
Sterling Sharpe
David Pitchko
Brad Edwards
Phil Petty
Ryan Brewer (the running back)
Ryan Brewer (the receiver)
Rob Deboer (the running back
Rob Deboer (the catcher)
Steve Taneyhill
Harold Green
Lou
BJ McKie
Melvin Watson
(too young to remember Alex English but dude is the hall of fame so)

You used a spot on a running back with 316 career rushing yards and 1 hundred yard game

They arbitrarily added days to the calender at some point and we all accept it. They might have added a thousand years, we'd be none the wiser. Men are ruled by men, not logical technicalities.

How many number 4 finishes do you need to equate to a feeling of finishing number 1 in football? Did I hear there is no number?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT