ADVERTISEMENT

One player per county. All time football team.

Sumter - Freddie Solomon - should have led off with him
Riding through Sumter this morning. And that was the basis for this post Wondering who the best player ever was. I thought Solomon was from there but wasn’t sure.

One choice per county! That’s the fun in this. Lots of counties are obvious but many are certainly not.

Someone needs to take the counties with multiple answers, put it out there to see if the board could come to an agreement.

I’ll throw another Cherokee Co name out there beyond Rice...Earl Clary...the Gaffney Ghost, a Union Co Roscoe Crosby, and Greenwood Ben Coates.

Father played against Earl Clary when Clary played for Gaffney High. Late 1920’s!!

On a side note Ira Hillary has a son who has been in the league. I looked him up. He is from Ohio and played at Wisconsin. Would’ve been recruited around 2010. Guess he had no interest in us or vice versa.

Reactions: atljo#
Not sure what county Clinton is in but Kevin Long was great FB at USC and then played well in the NFL for about a decade.

The Late Clarence Williams was a great RB in the same backfield. I know he was from the CHS are but not sure which county. He was a very good man gone way too soon.

Reactions: NetworkX
Berkeley County
Most will think of Bruce Ellington.
But it may be Clarence Williams who played in the 70's at USC and for the Chargers.

Reactions: Lowcountry1
Yep. And I'd put Bru Pender behind him. They played on the same high school teams together and won championships in Baseball too. Bru ended up playing safety for Carolina, was QB at Barnwell.
Good teams during that time. Graduated 1975 from Barnwell, Go Warhorses

Donnie Brant from Allendale County back in the 1960s. He was an outstanding player for Gamecock football way back then. He's a relative of mine but I don't know much about him anymore but he is still alive and old.

Reactions: F-86F
Chesterfield: Cliff Matthews
Clarendon: Fred Bennett
Allendale: Kenny Harney

Darlington County: Brian Scott (Not counting myself)

Not counting yourself? Who might you be?? Throwin ya self around with like of Brian Scott!! Lolol

Imma feel real stupid if you tell me you’re Albert Haynesworth.. who went to Hartsville

I also forgot about Lawrence Timmons, he’s from Florence, Wilson HS, played at FSU an went on to play for the steelers and win a SB. I remember seeing him as a kid at the “Y” playing basketball and he was HUGE

Not counting yourself? Who might you be?? Throwin ya self around with like of Brian Scott!! Lolol

Imma feel real stupid if you tell me you’re Albert Haynesworth.. who went to Hartsville

I also forgot about Lawrence Timmons, he’s from Florence, Wilson HS, played at FSU an went on to play for the steelers and win a SB. I remember seeing him as a kid at the “Y” playing basketball and he was HUGE

Justin Durant also. Both he and Timmons on the same Wilson squad. But if you had to pick one....

Reactions: THMoore100
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT