ADVERTISEMENT

One player per county. All time football team.

Father played against Earl Clary when Clary played for Gaffney High. Late 1920’s!!
Too young to ever see Earl play but he was a relative of mine. I remember when I was a kid and Earl would go to Carolina home games with my Dad and me. I can’t count the times that people would approach Earl and speak with him.

Has anyone said Darius Leanord? He’s from Nichols. I know Clowney and Gilmore have already been said but Jonathon Joseph and Cordarrelle Patterson are from Rock Hill also. Carlos Dunlap from North Charleston .. hate him for going to Florida tho. Freaking DeMarcus Lawrence from Aiken. SC has talent. Hate that a lot of these guys don’t stay home tho. Also John Abraham from Florence/ Timmonsville. Fred Bennett from Manning.

Lexington County---Duce Staley or Jimmy Stuckey

Both played at Airport High School

Both won Super Bowls

Based on NFL careers definitely. Demetrius Summers would have had the better high school career. Marty Woolbright thrown in there too and Ben Anderson made the Giants roster at QB.

I.M. Hipp was a Heisman candidate and left Nebraska as the school's alltime leading rusher, but obviously wasn't a Gamecock.

My vote from Union County is Darrell Austin. He played guard at Union High, USC and then in the NFL for the Jets and the Bucs. His career ended in 1980.
His brother Mark was a very good player for USC too playing center when George Rogers was here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Austin

Ok, if I take my Gamecock glasses off, the Union County vote should go to Jim Youngblood from Jonesville High. He went to Tennessee Tech and to the Rams. Part of the famous linebacker trio there and made the Pro Bowl in 79.

Last edited:
King can you think of anyone out of Lancaster? I only know kids that went to small colleges from late 80’s thru 90’s. We had decent players but I can’t remember anyone that had success in D-1

Not counting yourself? Who might you be?? Throwin ya self around with like of Brian Scott!! Lolol

Imma feel real stupid if you tell me you’re Albert Haynesworth.. who went to Hartsville

I also forgot about Lawrence Timmons, he’s from Florence, Wilson HS, played at FSU an went on to play for the steelers and win a SB. I remember seeing him as a kid at the “Y” playing basketball and he was HUGE

That's some top secret info my friend.

Reactions: THMoore100
Based on NFL careers definitely. Demetrius Summers would have had the better high school career. Marty Woolbright thrown in there too and Ben Anderson made the Giants roster at QB.

I.M. Hipp was a Heisman candidate and left Nebraska as the school's alltime leading rusher, but obviously wasn't a Gamecock.

I’ll put my bias out there and admit I’m an Airport High grad. Summers had the better high school career but that was in part due to the fact that Duce played QB, RB and WR at Airport. Heck he even played on defense (LB, DB). Summers got to just stick to one position.

Lexington County - Ed McDaniel - Batesburg-Leesville linebacker. Starred at Clemson (USC didn’t want him because he was too small lol). Played ten seasons with the Minnesota Vikings.

honorable mention - Dontrelle Inman -BL - WR in NFL for many years

personal favorite - the late Allen Mitchell - QB at BL who played at USC

Last edited:
Oh yea I forgot about him, they both went to FSU also, didn’t they.

Durant played at Hampton. Must’ve been grades because when they came to Midland Valley in a playoff game I swear he was the most dominant defender I ever saw in person .
Obviously his talent was evident to make it from Hampton.

Downs was out of Laurens High School. 2x All-American at Appalachian State. Foggie out of Laurens starred at Minnesota under Holtz. King Dixon out of Laurens was a Gamecock. JD Fuller out of Clinton High was a Gamecock, same with Kevin Long.

Reactions: redrogers
Uh, no .... Earl Clary, back in the late 1920's, played in 4 consecutive State Championship games, winning the last 3 and was recruited by nearly every major college football power in the US before coming to Carolina to star for the Cocks.
With all respects to The Ghost, I disagree. Rice was the best basketball player and WR in the state leading Gaffney to back to back basketball state championships and a state championship in football. He won the 4a player of the year award in basketball his senior year. He went on to set receiving records at USC his first season and then broke Sterling Sharps TD record in only two seasons. He was also a pro bowler in the NFL. Some of Gaffney’s best players unfortunately never got to go to college.

...Some of Gaffney's best players unfortunately never got to go to college.
I'm glad you said that. It applies somewhat to Tracy McGriff, who played for Lancaster High in the late 1980s up to 1990, and was perhaps the best offensive player to ever play in the county. He got a shot at a small school but academics were an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: cadcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT