ADVERTISEMENT

One silver lining from the Delp commitment

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
With less than a year on the job, it sounds like Beamer and crew very nearly snatched Delp away from UGA, who had been recruiting him hard for a while. Could just be lip service from Delp, though he did not make similar statements about Clemson and Michigan. It may be a very thin silver lining, but it’s something. Nobody’s fond of the wait and see game, but we’ll see how Beamer does with time to get on recruits early.

Aaah, the ole " the one that got away"

b02a950c4a712f8374f0480e5afa09d3_w200.gif

In this new era of recruiting, does Delp potentially displace any other TEs on the UGA roster who may be looking to enter the portal? There seems to be 3 fronts in the modern recruiting war: HS recruits, transfer recruits, and your own players (some of whom you want to keep out of the portal and some you may want to enter the portal).

With less than a year on the job, it sounds like Beamer and crew very nearly snatched Delp away from UGA, who had been recruiting him hard for a while. Could just be lip service from Delp, though he did not make similar statements about Clemson and Michigan. It may be a very thin silver lining, but it’s something. Nobody’s fond of the wait and see game, but we’ll see how Beamer does with time to get on recruits early.
If his Mother was a tater or Michigan alum, do you really think we would have gotten a sniff from him?

Yeah recruiting is one game where having your hat on the table pays no dividends if he doesn’t pick it.
Actually it’s a negative because it means you wasted time you could’ve spent with another.

Yeah recruiting is one game where having your hat on the table pays no dividends if he doesn’t pick it.
Actually it’s a negative because it means you wasted time you could’ve spent with another.
Well, the point as I noted is just that it possibly shows Shane has some recruiting chops to even get us in the mix in such a short period. He got in the game late since he wasn’t hired until December….MUCH later to the game than UGA…but still managed to get us serious consideration. As I noted, it’ll just be interesting to see how it plays out when he’s able to get on recruits early.

Reactions: Judson1
Well, the point as I noted is just that it possibly shows Shane has some recruiting chops to even get us in the mix in such a short period. He got in the game late since he wasn’t hired until December….MUCH later to the game than UGA…but still managed to get us serious consideration. As I noted, it’ll just be interesting to see how it plays out when he’s able to get on recruits early.
I expect Beamer will almost get some more top recruits.

The thing I like most about it, is now I finally get to know what is playing at the damned local movie theatres......

I can see the positive, and losing a TE is not what will keep us from winning. But our offense needs to start showing some hope, or we won't get any big time guys on that side of the ball. I absolutely love Carolina, but if I was having to decide to go play in that offense or some other offense, I'd probably have to pick someone else. Especially if I'm talented enough to possibly play pros. You gotta go somewhere that will help that become a reality.

I see it as a positive that we were in the top two for a top national recruit. No team gets them all. But if we are in the running for some of the top guys, then eventually we will start getting a few. Its good to be in that position.

I see it as a positive that we were in the top two for a top national recruit. No team gets them all. But if we are in the running for some of the top guys, then eventually we will start getting a few. Its good to be in that position.

Yeah, I'm not trying to make too much out of it. The bottom line is we didn't get him. But it might be a good sign about Beamer's recruiting ability that even getting such a late start he was able to at least get us into contention with Delp.

We were in it for Delp for 2 reasons and none of those involve a guy named Beamer. Let's quit with the mental gymnastics and being disingenuous.

Honestly, losing a TE in this offense has hardly any impact. We have players right now at the position probably better than Delp currently is and yet....

We were in it for Delp for 2 reasons and none of those involve a guy named Beamer. Let's quit with the mental gymnastics and being disingenuous.

Honestly, losing a TE in this offense has hardly any impact. We have players right now at the position probably better than Delp currently is and yet....

What mental gymnastics? I've just stated straightforward facts. Beamer got in Delp very late in the process but still managed to get us contention.

The mental gymnastics involve speculating what role his mom played, etc. I didn't do any of that.

Well, I look at it this way. I don't believe that Beamer and South Carolina are going to make a warp speed jump from bottom feeder to SEC elite in one season. My theory is that, if Beamer becomes successful, he will get enough good recruits to elevate us to SEC mid-tier level for a few seasons, then hopefully that modest success will result in elevating to a contender in a few years. I just don't adhere to the "instant success" theory, despite UT's seemingly fast start.

Reactions: TAV31
If Beamer does not show he can "coach", it will not matter. Jumping up and down cheerleading is not coaching on game day. Being calm and making sound decisions is.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT