ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions On This HBB Coach

Gamecock58

Dec 19, 2017
South Carolina
I don't know if this guy would be interested in leaving Oral Roberts after only being there 4 years, plus what he and his staff have accomplished there, but what would everyone here think about Paul Mills as a replacement for Frank Martin? He's young, came from Baylor after being an asst for 14 years, and it's obvious he and his staff have done a fantastic job at ORU in a short time. Thoughts?

YES, YES, YES...he and several others would be a huge improvement over what we have now...
I'm extremely impressed with him. I have a feeling if he leaves for a bigger job that he may lose his top asst. Not sure which that may be, but they would more than likely be in line to take over at ORU.

I don't know if this guy would be interested in leaving Oral Roberts after only being there 4 years, plus what he and his staff have accomplished there, but what would everyone here think about Paul Mills as a replacement for Frank Martin? He's young, came from Baylor after being an asst for 14 years, and it's obvious he and his staff have done a fantastic job at ORU in a short time. Thoughts?
Why in the hell would he come here?

No thank you. We have done this before. A lucky two game run to the sweet sixteen a few years back suddenly elevated Darrin Horn into the new "hot" coach that USC just had to have.

No on Mills. If you're going the mid-major head coach route, winning the conference regular season at least once should be the minimum requirement. That's so much harder and shows greater coaching skill (playing teams twice, maintaining a high level over a long conference season, dealing with injuries, etc.) than getting hot for a couple of weeks at the end.

Mills finished fourth in the Summit League this year. That's his highest finish so far. Maybe next year.

No on Mills. If you're going the mid-major head coach route, winning the conference regular season at least once should be the minimum requirement. That's so much harder and shows greater coaching skill (playing teams twice, maintaining a high level over a long conference season, dealing with injuries, etc.) than getting hot for a couple of weeks at the end.

Mills finished fourth in the Summit League this year. That's his highest finish so far. Maybe next year.

Yeah, he's 57-65 overall at ORU. They are definitely a fun team to watch and he seems to be a good coach, but he's never finished better than 4th in the Summit League. I'd like a bit stronger of a track record.

Yeah, but unfortunately the really top coaches want better jobs than the South Carolina job. Unless we pay a lot of money, which is something we don't do.

Yea, we already made that mistake recently with D.H.

Yeah, he's 57-65 overall at ORU. They are definitely a fun team to watch and he seems to be a good coach, but he's never finished better than 4th in the Summit League. I'd like a bit stronger of a track record.

Your first sentence explains succinctly why we should not hire him. Yeah give me a coach with a losing record.

ORU is getting some unwanted coverage since their school policies do not line up with LGBTQ rights. With how these things snowball and follow people around, I'm sure it'll follow that coach somewhat. Want to avoid all that noise. He seems like a good guy, but don't want to start with someone who brings a little baggage.

ORU is getting some unwanted coverage since their school policies do not line up with LGBTQ rights. With how these things snowball and follow people around, I'm sure it'll follow that coach somewhat. Want to avoid all that noise. He seems like a good guy, but don't want to start with someone who brings a little baggage.
It is a religious school and they uphold their Christian beliefs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT