ADVERTISEMENT

Or you could be Arkansas, like I've said 100 times, anything can happen in baseball!

CWS is like the NCAA basketball tournament. That means it’s just a tournament. Just because you win it, doesn’t mean you’re the best team. Just means you won a tournament. And now they want to bring football into the mix.

CWS is like the NCAA basketball tournament. That means it’s just a tournament. Just because you win it, doesn’t mean you’re the best team. Just means you won a tournament. And now they want to bring football into the mix.
Well...I always say you're only as good as your last game. Teams spend their entire season preparing for the tournament. It's your final exam. So yes, in my opinion, it does crown the best team.

Well...I always say you're only as good as your last game. Teams spend their entire season preparing for the tournament. It's your final exam. So yes, in my opinion, it does crown the best team.

By that logic you would have conclude we were one of the top 4 teams in all of college basketball in the 2016-2017 season, which we obviously were not. Nobody actually thinks that. Not even you, though I know you'll have to disagree out of obligation, but that will only prove me right.

It is what it is but at least be honest about it.

But they don’t spend the entire season preparing for the tournament - they spend the season trying to make the tournament. Tournament play is completely unlike regular season play. So teams spend all season playing one way, only to pivot in the post-season to play a different way.

At least baseball is double elimination, but a single elimination tournament is the absolute worst way to determine which team is the best. It’s just a fact.

Reactions: redrogers
So what does make you the best team? A bunch of writers who vote ?

By that logic you would have conclude we were one of the top 4 teams in all of college basketball in the 2016-2017 season, which we obviously were not. Nobody actually thinks that. Not even you, though I know you'll have to disagree out of obligation, but that will only prove me right.

It is what it is but at least be honest about it.

We finished ranked 6, I believe, and yes I believe that was accurate. In my opinion.

But they don’t spend the entire season preparing for the tournament - they spend the season trying to make the tournament. Tournament play is completely unlike regular season play. So teams spend all season playing one way, only to pivot in the post-season to play a different way.

At least baseball is double elimination, but a single elimination tournament is the absolute worst way to determine which team is the best. It’s just a fact.
Well, that's not a fact, it's your opinion. You have yours, and I have mine.

So what does make you the best team? A bunch of writers who vote ?
I believe the point is more that no matter how good you are, you can still lose on any given day. Do you really think LSU was better than us, as a team overall, in 2000 just because they won the CWS? Or that we were the best team in college baseball in 2010 just because we won the CWS? Because we weren't. We just got hot at the right time and everything aligned. Even in 2011, no one thought we were the best team that year. We actually beat what everyone thought was the best team (KP described them as Greek Gods Playing Baseball at the start of the season).

Honestly, I don't think I've seen a team as solid top to bottom than Arkansas this year. I truly feel they were the best team in college baseball this year. They just happened to lose yesterday.

I believe the point is more that no matter how good you are, you can still lose on any given day. Do you really think LSU was better than us, as a team overall, in 2000 just because they won the CWS? Or that we were the best team in college baseball in 2010 just because we won the CWS? Because we weren't. We just got hot at the right time and everything aligned. Even in 2011, no one thought we were the best team that year. We actually beat what everyone thought was the best team (KP described them as Greek Gods Playing Baseball at the start of the season).

Honestly, I don't think I've seen a team as solid top to bottom than Arkansas this year. I truly feel they were the best team in college baseball this year. They just happened to lose yesterday.
They aren't the best because they didn't win when it mattered. The best team finds a way to win on judgment day.

Reactions: USC2USC and TAV31

I think we were the best in 2011.

Arkansas losing was very predictable. In fact there are threads on this forum predicting it. They were a deep team with good hitting built to win a lot of games in the regular season, but without the top quality No.2 and No 3 starters to win consistently in regional and super regional or ws play. They were forced to start their closer in one of the games.

Wrong. They lost yesterday AND the day before. THAT'S why they're not one of the best teams in baseball. It's not a single loss that defines them. It's losing two of three and at home at that. When the pressure was on, they couldn't handle it.

Seems as if their second baseman that wrecked that foul popup third out in the 2018(?) championship game gave them a Bill Buckner type curse. That was brutal.

You just cant say they are the best team in the nation. They lost two in a row at home when it mattered to a team that didnt even win its division in its own league.

Seems as if their second baseman that wrecked that foul popup third out in the 2018(?) championship game gave them a Bill Buckner type curse. That was brutal.
After the final out, the pop up was the first thing I thought of. Arkansas is reinventing the meaning of choking!

Reactions: heavycock
Football has been in the mix for decades in other NCAA divisions and the NAIA. What's new is that it's being brought to FBS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT