ADVERTISEMENT

Order of changes needed

ExpatCarolinian

Jul 25, 2016
Would it be satisfying to fire Muschamp on the field and leave him behind in Baton Rouge? Yes. I get that. But we need to do things in the correct order.

1. Force Coach Tanner to resign. Hopefully the “force” part will not be known publicly and he will be allowed to make it seem like his choice, a legend retiring with dignity. Assign him as a ceremonial role like special assistant to the President making 100k and we can see him out enjoying games and shaking hands at Founders Park reliving the glory years and hopefully watching the the return of Gamecock Baseball to prominence.

2. Hire a professional athletic director who can do the basics of managing the finances and fundraising, but also has a proven track record of hiring winning coaches, particularly in football. Make sure Dawn is cool with the hire.

3. Give Muschamp 2021. If he turns it around (unlikely) then great. If not, the new AD will have plenty of time to be finding the right man for the job. The buyout will be less, giving us more flexibility. Covid will be over hopefully and we will know precisely our financial condition.

I like the thinking but Dawn is the coach of the women’s basketball team, and while good, giving her some say over her potential boss is amateur hour. Unfortunately typical of our athletic department.
We’re stuck with Muschamp through next year but Tanner needs to press him to move T Rob out. Our defenses have never been Very good or scared anyone. We have two NFL corners and don’t use them correctly.
TRob can be gone tomorrow and he should be.

I like the thinking but Dawn is the coach of the women’s basketball team, and while good, giving her some say over her potential boss is amateur hour. Unfortunately typical of our athletic department.
We’re stuck with Muschamp through next year but Tanner needs to press him to move T Rob out. Our defenses have never been Very good or scared anyone. We have two NFL corners and don’t use them correctly.
TRob can be gone tomorrow and he should be.

Not saying she makes the hiring decision, but it would be wise to make sure she is comfortable with her new boss. I bet Coach K and Saban don’t get surprised with new ADs they never had a chance to provide input on.

I'm sure UNC asks the Women's Soccer coach what boss to hire...

Please try to be nuanced and understand the difference here. We are not asking Dawn which AD to hire. Instead we would conduct a thorough, professional search to find the best AD for our program. And then she gets input to make sure she is ok with the person selected. Not even veto power, but a professional courtesy extended to our championship coach to make sure she continues to feel respected and included.

Please try to be nuanced and understand the difference here. We are not asking Dawn which AD to hire. Instead we would conduct a thorough, professional search to find the best AD for our program. And then she gets input to make sure she is ok with the person selected. Not even veto power, but a professional courtesy extended to our championship coach to make sure she continues to feel respected and included.

I think we might have done this with our current AD and former Championship winning Baseball coach.

OK, chasing the rabbit of which coach has how much power where is a nice diversion, but I agree with the OPs original point... the firing / graceful retiring needs to start with the AD, not the football coach. It would be continued insanity to allow Tanner to hire the next football coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT