ADVERTISEMENT

Ortre has opt out per CBS Sports

Maybe it’s my memory being it’s usual pitiful self, but I don’t remember him even doing much as a fr. I remember being excited that we bested the ‘necks up the road for his signature, but it just never panned out.

30 catches, 326 yards, 3 touchdowns, as a freshman, for Mcclendon's recruited WR's not bad,

Had a big TD against La Tech in Q4 when we were down 13-0

Maybe it’s my memory being it’s usual pitiful self, but I don’t remember him even doing much as a fr. I remember being excited that we bested the ‘necks up the road for his signature, but it just never panned out.
He was no Alshon, but showed size and speed and reliable hands- had 300+ yards and 3 TDs before he was hobbled, looked like a potential star/ really solid possession receiver at least. He has not eclipsed or even come close to matching those numbers in all the time since combined. Clearly he never got fully healthy again.

Just think, we were so excited that we beat Clemson for him.

Makes me wonder is Clemson knew a little bit more about his knee issues than we did . If I remember correctly his mom was a Clemson grad and their offense was 100% more WR Friendly . Makes we wonder if Dabo and the crew did their homework a little better and cooled off on him in the recruiting process . Either way this is a major let down . I think the kid wanted to be great but the injuries just took the wind out of his sails . I guess when ur a heavily recruited 4 star WR and three QBs pass you on the depth chart it’s time for a change .

I don't know. We were already really thin at receiver as it is. The only half way dependable receiver we have is Shi. Everyone else is a hope. With Otre down, that is one hope down. With Randrecous, I wish him good luck in getting his degree. A freshman or an unknown has to really step up or a lot of games this year are going to look like the Texas A&M and Clemson games of last year. Numbers could also get tight for some programs that get off to a losing start with no opt-out deadline that I know of.
How much service did we really get out of this player?

How much service did we really get out of this player?
Besides Shi, Ortre, even with the injuries, had given us more than any other receiver currently on the team. We are depending on converted QB's and a Wingate transfer. Our WR situation is that bad.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
shame on you all, especially if it comes out his longterm lifetime illness is the real cause of all this... really shameful

Besides Shi, Ortre, even with the injuries, had given us more than any other receiver currently on the team. We are depending on converted QB's and a Wingate transfer. Our WR situation is that bad.
Evidently it was of no concern to him.

I get the feeling the whole team is bad. I hope I am wrong

USCALUMNI

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Lawrence Mitchell got hurt on the opening kickoff. Only USC
That's it and I don't think he played a down in Michigan.. Something like 5 star player, highly recruited player Sparky missed out and ended up getting a couple years later...

No that's not it. Lawrence Mitchell never played at Michigan & was not a bust. He did get hurt on the opening kickoff, had his share on injuries & he was from Conway. Great athlete.
The guy who went to Michigan then transferred here was JJ Brown who is not from Conway. He is from Chesterfield. Things did not work out well here for JJ. Pretty sure he was moved at least briefly from defense to TE & that did not work out well either.

Would not call Ortre a bust either. He performed well as a freshman. He was never a speedster & the knee issue slowed him down more. Just an unfortunate situation all the way around to this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: carolinamyke
The guy who went to Michigan then transferred here was JJ Brown who is not from Conway. He is from Chesterfield. Things did not work out well here for JJ. Pretty sure he was moved at least briefly from defense to TE & that did not work out well either.

Still not sure why you move a person who is shrine bowl MVP at Linebacker from Linebacker to TE, didn't work and never thought that was too smart then or now in retrospect. JJ was all academic SEC several times, and Im pretty sure graduated as a Gamecock and is a still a fan today of the program

61826876_2423051174381876_863938980897357824_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT