ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A couple of questions about traveling for the summer.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
1. What is the best way to get the best prices on airline tickets? I usually go to a specific airline and check the price for the particular flight I want. But, I hear other people talking about getting great prices by checking a number of different sites, etc. It doesn't bother me to have changeover flights at various airports. In fact, I find it humorous to checkout international airports. To me they are more fun that Walmart, I've seen some strange things as well as interesting things in international airports.

2. What is the rental car status as of now? Are they hard to get and very expensive? I find it more informative to hear from people who have been traveling recently than to read some article about traveling in general.

I'm ready to do some traveling this summer.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Zann77
I dont know about everywhere, but here in Montana, the rental cars are much more expensive than in prior years.

Freddie, I think it's going to be tough to find many travel deals this summer. There's a lot of pent up tourism demand and it looks like everyone in the country has decided they will take a summer vacation this year, come hell or high water. You might find some deals on travel to traditional urban tourist attractions like DC and NYC, but it looks like the outdoorsy summer vacation is the popular thing to do this year, so the Rockies are going to be packed. If you are still thinking of going out west, I'd consider mid-September, after school starts.

I use kayak.com to find flights then I book directly through the airline.
From what I’ve seen in a few searches, rental cars are higher than normal but not outrageous for most places. If your travel dates are solid, I would book the rental car far in advance to try to lock in a price

I dont know about everywhere, but here in Montana, the rental cars are much more expensive than in prior years.

Freddie, I think it's going to be tough to find many travel deals this summer. There's a lot of pent up tourism demand and it looks like everyone in the country has decided they will take a summer vacation this year, come hell or high water. You might find some deals on travel to traditional urban tourist attractions like DC and NYC, but it looks like the outdoorsy summer vacation is the popular thing to do this year, so the Rockies are going to be packed. If you are still thinking of going out west, I'd consider mid-September, after school starts.
I couldn't even find lodging within Yellowstone after Labor Day. And I don't want to go to that part of the country much later than Labor Day.

I use kayak.com to find flights then I book directly through the airline.
From what I’ve seen in a few searches, rental cars are higher than normal but not outrageous for most places. If your travel dates are solid, I would book the rental car far in advance to try to lock in a price

Thanks, I'll try that.

I think you are correct about people are dying to get away. Seems like everyone I know is planning on taking trips this summer.

Last edited:
1. What is the best way to get the best prices on airline tickets? I usually go to a specific airline and check the price for the particular flight I want. But, I hear other people talking about getting great prices by checking a number of different sites, etc. It doesn't bother me to have changeover flights at various airports. In fact, I find it humorous to checkout international airports. To me they are more fun that Walmart, I've seen some strange things as well as interesting things in international airports.

2. What is the rental car status as of now? Are they hard to get and very expensive? I find it more informative to hear from people who have been traveling recently than to read some article about traveling in general.

Thanks in advance.
Kayak is a good suggestion. Airfare watchdog and Travelocity aren’t bad places to search either.

Once I find the search if I can find that price on the particular airline, I prefer to book directly through the airline. Just less chance of a hassle later. Even if the airline price is a few dollars more, I sometimes pay it for the convenience of a direct booking and less likely to get bumped or have an issue.

I would echo the advice that if you’re flexible I would try mid week travel or traveling in the fall. I think the travel industry will boom this summer and deals will be extremely hard to come by. Too many trying to make two years worth of revenue this summer.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I couldn't even find lodging within Yellowstone after Labor Day. And I don't want to go to that part of the country much later than Labor Day.
I think you would be safe, weather-wise, throughout September. In my opinion, it's actually the best time to visit Yellowstone. It's not impossible to see snow that time of year, but its not impossible to see it in July either. And it usually melts off fast.

As far as airfare, I usually start my searching on Google flights using the open dates function (assuming my dates are flexible). Its a good way to see which days in a given month are the cheapest days to fly. From there, I usually book on Travelocity or the airline's website if it's a discount carrier.

Thanks in advance.
Do yourself a big favor if you want to do some international travel. Go to the US State Dept website to find information on the country you are thinking about traveling to and any protocols for re-entering the US.
We had plans to go take the Rocky Mountaineer trip through Canada, but as of today US Citizens are still not allowed in.

• Sad
Do yourself a big favor if you want to do some international travel. Go to the US State Dept website to find information on the country you are thinking about traveling to and any protocols for re-entering the US.
We had plans to go take the Rocky Mountaineer trip through Canada, but as of today US Citizens are still not allowed in.

That is not a trip I had planned to take but it is sad US Citizens aren't allowed.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
Smaller countries still not good due to COVID. My daughter’s trip to Madagascar was cancelled because that country has shut its borders.

Google search your flights and some good info comes up.
Then go to Southwest Airlines site and look there. You can look at their fare calendar to see what days close to your dates may be cheaper. SW Airlines is VERY good to fly on too.

Thanks, I'll try that.
Yeah, that is good advice. You will get just as good (same deal) directly through the airlines, but you can see all the various airline prices on third party websites. I suggest purchasing directly through the airline once you find the schedule you want. You can also “go on the cheap” on budget airlines if they service airports near where you want to go. I don’t suggest the budget airlines, but it is an option. Try and book a month in advance and either Tuesday/Wednesday (inventory “reshuffle” days) for best prices. I travel a lot. I can fly from FL to LA for $250 on the major airline I use, but the same airline will cost me $500-600 just to fly to GSP or Columbia from FL.

For car rentals, it depends.too. I rent full size cars in Columbus, OH for $30/day all the time. My trip to Greenville next week (same car rental company) is $75/day - others were $96/day. Crazy, but inventory driven (no pun intended).

Reactions: yemacock
Yeah, that is good advice. You will get just as good (same deal) directly through the airlines, but you can see all the various airline prices on third party websites. I suggest purchasing directly through the airline once you find the schedule you want. You can also “go on the cheap” on budget airlines if they service airports near where you want to go. I don’t suggest the budget airlines, but it is an option. Try and book a month in advance and either Tuesday/Wednesday (inventory “reshuffle” days) for best prices. I travel a lot. I can fly from FL to LA for $250 on the major airline I use, but the same airline will cost me $500-600 just to fly to GSP or Columbia from FL.

For car rentals, it depends.too. I rent full size cars in Columbus, OH for $30/day all the time. My trip to Greenville next week (same car rental company) is $75/day - others were $96/day. Crazy, but inventory driven (no pun intended).
Thanks very much. I had no idea that one could fly to LA from Fla. for $250. It's worth that even if one didn't want to go to LA. LOL!

I like Google Flights. You can type CLT-LAX straight in the Google search bar and flights will pop up. I like how you can move faders for the dates, locations, etc. Play around til you get something good.

Don't search the same flight over and over -- price will go up if they know you're antsy. Keep your cookies cleared so they can't track you

Reactions: ruffledfeathers

What part of Montana are you in? We are road tripping from Conway to Gardier this summer. No real plans once we get out there, maybe yellowstone, but mostly just relax and enjoy the scenery. Any other recommendations in that area?

Thanks very much. I had no idea that one could fly to LA from Fla. for $250. It's worth that even if one didn't want to go to LA. LOL!
Yeah, that flight will typically sell out on a larger aircraft. The extra seats will cover the fuel cost and provide enough profit margin to lower the ticket price.

Since you are looking midwest, besides the mention of Southwest, look at Frontier, they based out of Denver and have good prices (a budget airline, but decent bag for the buck). They often have very, very cheap flights one way.

....look at Frontier, they based out of Denver and have good prices (a budget airline, but decent bag for the buck). They often have very, very cheap flights one way.
Flew them 2 weeks ago....they charge extra for a back pack. Not really a bargain.

A new airline, Breeze, an ultra-low-cost carrier that will be flying into Charleston for their inaugural flight from Tampa. All fares to start are $39. There are extra fees for baggage, selecting seats, and possibly others. This is a brand new airline as of 5/27/2021. EDIT: I didn't realize that you were on the west coast. Breeze only flies to points in the east but includes Texas.

Yeah, that flight will typically sell out on a larger aircraft. The extra seats will cover the fuel cost and provide enough profit margin to lower the ticket price.

Since you are looking midwest, besides the mention of Southwest, look at Frontier, they based out of Denver and have good prices (a budget airline, but decent bag for the buck). They often have very, very cheap flights one way.

Thanks very much, good information.

What part of Montana are you in? We are road tripping from Conway to Gardier this summer. No real plans once we get out there, maybe yellowstone, but mostly just relax and enjoy the scenery. Any other recommendations in that area?
On the way....Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone...buy the annual pass. Go early or late....avoid the crowds if you can manage.

I just checked just about every date for lodging inside the Yellowstone Park. Everything is sold out, with the exception of one lodge and they have only one room left. Now there are a couple of camp grounds that have availability but I don't have camping equipment. I may have to wait until next year and book reservations this June for 2022. Man, everybody is going somewhere for vacation this summer.

Below is the e-mail I just got from Yellowstone.

Greetings from Yellowstone,

Due to the extremely limited number of rooms and cabins in the park, and the constantly changing nature of that availability, we are unable to accurately check availability or make reservations for our guests over email. We recommend contacting us via telephone to check availability and rates of rooms and cabins. Alternatively, you can check our website at www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com for current availability.

We are experiencing extremely high call volume. If the line is busy or disconnects keep trying.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Our phone number is 307-344-7311, and we are open seven days a week, 8:00AM to 12:00PM and 1:00PM to 5:00PM Mountain Time.

Thank you,

Laura
Master Agent

Yellowstone National Park Lodges

Post Office Box 165
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190
reserve-ynp@xanterra.com | YellowstoneNationalParkLodges.com
P 307-344-7311

XANTERRA TRAVEL COLLECTION
A WORLD OF UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCES

Everything is a CF...Im going to the USVI, and waiting it out after that. Flying seems miserable. I have friends with so many ants in their pants, they have to constantly be on the go. Not me. Ill go more when this nightmare winds down. I'll work my azz off and save money till after. Everyone please get vaccinated.

Reactions: Zann77

I assume you mean Gardiner? I'm in SW Montana, not too awfully far from Gardiner as the crow flies. I'm always eager to give suggestions - it's one of my favorite topics. lol. How long will you be there and for how long? I actually like your plan of just "enjoying." I think too many folks try to see "everything" and end up not really SEEING anything.

If you are going to be in Gardiner, I would consider a drive on the Beartooth Highway an absolute must-do. Enter the park right there in Gardiner, go through Mammoth Hot Springs and head toward Tower Junction and, eventually, the northeast gate of the park near Cooke City, MT. In my opinion, the northeast corner of the park is the most scenic area. You'll usually find the largest bison herds in the park in there along the Lamar River valley and the Soda Butte Creek area. It's a great place to just stop for 15 minutes or so to just "take it in."
bison-herd-feeding-lamar-river-lamar-michel-hersen.jpg

After leaving the park at the northeast gate, you'll hit the little one-horse town of Cooke City, MT which is the unofficial beginning of the scenic Beartooth Highway. From Cooke City, it's about 100 miles to Red Lodge, MT, but it may be the most incredible 100 mile drive in North America. The first time I drove it, I wanted to stop about every 1/4 mile to take a photo. Red Lodge has a cool main street that is pretty vibrant with shops, restaurants, and bars. The round trip is mostly an all-day thing, but it's well worth it.
Beartooth-Highway_MColeman-1.jpg

16aeabb9cb3614861757b6ad7644acdd.jpg

If you are interested in a really scenic hike in Yellowstone that isn't very strenuous, you will pass a great trailhead on your way east through the park. Soon after you make the turn east after Tower Junction, you'll pass the Yellowstone River Picnic Area on your right. It's a small loop with maybe 20 picnic tables, but the trailhead starts right there. The trail goes up a little hill, but after the first 1/4 mile or so, it levels out at the top of the canyon and parallels the river. You can decide how far you want to walk before turning back, but it offers some pretty spectacular views of the canyon for a relatively low investment. You'll probably see some other people on the trial, but this is certainly one of Yellowstone's hidden gems that 99% of the tourist drive right by. Just one note: don't be a jerk by parking in one of the picnic sites while you walk this trail. Save those for actual picnickers and park along the road just outside the picnic loop.
2400.jpg

Other than that, just venture wherever the wind blows you in the Gardiner area. If you see a trailhead that looks interesting, just stop and try it out. Don't get too caught up in "checking the boxes" of the famous sights. There's a reason they are famous, but every other tourist in America will be there checking the same box and I find it more enjoyable to discover less crowded attractions that are nearly as impressive (and sometimes, even more).

...I would consider a drive on the Beartooth Highway an absolute must-do.
Thanks for this reminder. I might hit this on 8/15 when I'm passing thru from Missoula. It was closed when I was there in '17, but I think it still had snow.
I thought the upper and lower falls may have been the coolest things in the park. The overlook where you can stand right over where the falls are is exceptional.

Reactions: uscg1984
Awesome 184...Im going somewhere when this 🐎shchidt is over. Would love to fish out there. I can sleep in a truck...lol

I assume you mean Gardiner? I'm in SW Montana, not too awfully far from Gardiner as the crow flies. I'm always eager to give suggestions - it's one of my favorite topics. lol. How long will you be there and for how long? I actually like your plan of just "enjoying." I think too many folks try to see "everything" and end up not really SEEING anything.

If you are going to be in Gardiner, I would consider a drive on the Beartooth Highway an absolute must-do. Enter the park right there in Gardiner, go through Mammoth Hot Springs and head toward Tower Junction and, eventually, the northeast gate of the park near Cooke City, MT. In my opinion, the northeast corner of the park is the most scenic area. You'll usually find the largest bison herds in the park in there along the Lamar River valley and the Soda Butte Creek area. It's a great place to just stop for 15 minutes or so to just "take it in."

After leaving the park at the northeast gate, you'll hit the little one-horse town of Cooke City, MT which is the unofficial beginning of the scenic Beartooth Highway. From Cooke City, it's about 100 miles to Red Lodge, MT, but it may be the most incredible 100 mile drive in North America. The first time I drove it, I wanted to stop about every 1/4 mile to take a photo. Red Lodge has a cool main street that is pretty vibrant with shops, restaurants, and bars. The round trip is mostly an all-day thing, but it's well worth it.

If you are interested in a really scenic hike in Yellowstone that isn't very strenuous, you will pass a great trailhead on your way east through the park. Soon after you make the turn east after Tower Junction, you'll pass the Yellowstone River Picnic Area on your right. It's a small loop with maybe 20 picnic tables, but the trailhead starts right there. The trail goes up a little hill, but after the first 1/4 mile or so, it levels out at the top of the canyon and parallels the river. You can decide how far you want to walk before turning back, but it offers some pretty spectacular views of the canyon for a relatively low investment. You'll probably see some other people on the trial, but this is certainly one of Yellowstone's hidden gems that 99% of the tourist drive right by. Just one note: don't be a jerk by parking in one of the picnic sites while you walk this trail. Save those for actual picnickers and park along the road just outside the picnic loop.
2400.jpg

Other than that, just venture wherever the wind blows you in the Gardiner area. If you see a trailhead that looks interesting, just stop and try it out. Don't get too caught up in "checking the boxes" of the famous sights. There's a reason they are famous, but every other tourist in America will be there checking the same box and I find it more enjoyable to discover less crowded attractions that are nearly as impressive (and sometimes, even more).
Great info. We have our Cabin for 6 days are taking 3 days to drive out there and 3 days to drive back. I am a big baseball guy and my goal was to take the southern route out there so i could hit St louis and KC for games and then come back the northern route and hit wrigley. Unfortunately the only team playing at home on our way through and back is St louis so we are going to stop there our first day and catch a game.

Again thanks for the info and we will definitely take a day and do beartooth and some of the trail!

Great info. We have our Cabin for 6 days are taking 3 days to drive out there and 3 days to drive back. I am a big baseball guy and my goal was to take the southern route out there so i could hit St louis and KC for games and then come back the northern route and hit wrigley. Unfortunately the only team playing at home on our way through and back is St louis so we are going to stop there our first day and catch a game.

Again thanks for the info and we will definitely take a day and do beartooth and some of the trail!
That sounds awesome. I love cross-country road trips. Since you'll be there 6 days, definitely see those popular check-the-box areas in the park as well, especially the canyon/Yellowstone falls area, as somebody mentioned above.

Reactions: cfbfan15
We've rented a house on the water at Lake Lure, NC with a pontoon boat for a week late this summer. That will be our vacation.

With the way people behave on airplanes these days I'm not flying anywhere for the next year if I can avoid it. Not going on a cruise either.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD

If you have not done it, do the Arch in St Louis. Conversely, skip the riverboat, worst one I ever took. Nice ballpark.

Reactions: cfbfan15
Freddie, we were looking at a Maine Coastal trip this summer. I started in March and found a compact car out of Portland for $441 for two weeks.

Just looked today to test the market as we think about maybe doing that trip. and the same rental is $900. No way I'm that cramped and that broke. Rental cars are nuts.

Now what I really want to do is cruise.....but I'm not there yet.

2400.jpg

I didn't read all of your post, don't have time now, but I drove the Beartooth trail and it was fantastic. One of the most scenic drives ever if not the most scenic drives. Like you I stopped every 100 yards and took pictures and I could have stopped every 50 yards it was such a gorgeous drive. My only regret was I didn't stop in Red Lodge, when I got there I was tried and drove into Billings. I wish I had spend the night in Red Lodge.

I'll check that out. I would love to go this summer are even mid to late September but I don't want to fight the crowds. Thanks for the information.
You'll always have crowds at Yellowstone. The hardest thing is finding parking at some of the stops.
If you stay on east coast time, you'll be 2 hrs ahead of local time. I always go in real early or late if there's something that draws all the crowds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT