ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A Movie Most Everyone Has Seen But You Have Not

The early ones are kind of “kiddy”... but it gets dark in the last few books/movies.
Funny enough- LOTR and Harry Potter (both mentioned by the guy you quoted) are among the best book to movie series adaptations in the history of film. So often Hollywood over simplifies the themes and plot subtext of good books when delivering them to screen- or just BUTCHERS them altogether leaving a soul-less shell of a movie depicting what was a great book! (world War Z being a recent example)... but LOTR and Harry Potter ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT! The movies were as entertaining as the books, hit most all the important plot points, get the “look” of the main characters spot on... LOTR had a bit too much “love affair” between the hobbits for my taste, but the books were a little creepy on all that too so it was not a disingenuous representation of the books...
I disagree on the mailing of Harry Potter.

The early ones are kind of “kiddy”... but it gets dark in the last few books/movies.
Funny enough- LOTR and Harry Potter (both mentioned by the guy you quoted) are among the best book to movie series adaptations in the history of film. So often Hollywood over simplifies the themes and plot subtext of good books when delivering them to screen- or just BUTCHERS them altogether leaving a soul-less shell of a movie depicting what was a great book! (world War Z being a recent example)... but LOTR and Harry Potter ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT! The movies were as entertaining as the books, hit most all the important plot points, get the “look” of the main characters spot on... LOTR had a bit too much “love affair” between the hobbits for my taste, but the books were a little creepy on all that too so it was not a disingenuous representation of the books...
I would agree with most of this. I really thought they did a great job keeping true to the books but I was not a huge fan of this shift to the more modern looking outfits in the third movie. Not a huge deal but it was a big change from the book series while they still tried to stay true to the books overall. I do think that 1 and 2 were almost scene for scene from the book but after that the books kept getting longer requiring more to be cut from the books. That said I still would agree that they are among the best book adaptations I have ever seen.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Gone With the Wind.

I swear it was on TBS every Saturday when I was growing up. It was like NWA would end and Wind would start and I would head outside.

Last edited:
Now this is a mistake! Perhaps Tarantino’s greatest work as a director.

Although- True Romance might be my favorite “Tarantino Movie”, he “only” wrote it, Tony Scott directed. Absolute pinnacle of 90s ultra violence- Christopher Walken and Gary Oldman may have had their best performances of all tine in that film. Brad Pitt plays an amazing stoner character.. Just an absolute tour-de-force MASTERPIECE!

Walken and Dennis Hopper were crazy good in that movie. That scene where they call each other egg plants and cantaloupe was chilling. My favorite Tarantino flick.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
I will add that I have never seen any of the Avenger, Marvel, or the other super hero movies. The only one was the Michael Keaton Batman back in the 80's and i was a kid then.

I haven't seen any of the Godfather movies or Pulp Fiction. I watched the original Star Wars and for some reason it didn't do it for me so I've never watched another. I finally got around to watching Sling Blade about a week ago. Really liked it.
@JayWillUSC : You really need to see Shawshank. It's one of the best movies ever.
yeah I will try to find the time to watch it!

You should play flip around with the remote some night. Movie is on TNT or TBS like every other week (maybe try AMC as well).

I have cut cable but is it something I can watch and get the full effect by seeing it on tv or do I need to watch it uncut/unedited

I was never interested in cake until I had a piece.
My wife, perhaps the most prodigious reader I’ve known, spent 3 years trying to get me to read Harry Potter. She swore I’d enjoy it. I swore I had no interest in a kids series.
While on vacation, she brought paperbacks of the first four books with us. One day, I took a book and a cooler of beer down to the beach-side pool. I read the entire book right there. I read the whole 2nd book that night. I finished all 4 books she brought and had her go buy the fifth book, which I finished on the way home. I picked up 6 and 7 as soon as they came out over the next 3 years.
Now, I’m so familiar with the HP universe that I could teach a graduate-level course on the series.

Last edited:
I have cut cable but is it something I can watch and get the full effect by seeing it on tv or do I need to watch it uncut/unedited

You can see it on regular TV or rent it. Great story about man overcoming unfortunate circumstances. Worth at least a look unless there are others on your list to consider.

I loved the books. I guess I’d say I enjoyed the movies. As someone else stated, the first two were more “kids” books/movies. The 3rd movie was well-done and the 4th book is where things get darker.
3rd book and movie is the best 1 . If you ask me.

That's a good one to skip. Bad writing (they called a rare mineral Unobtainium), rehash of FernGully (save the alien rain forest), leaning heavily on gimmicks with the visual effects and 3D(that part was cool, for 5 minutes), and to top it all off, it's not subtle with it's really lazy politics. We send mercenaries to attack a less advanced civilization to get fuel in a movie that came out right around the end of the Bush presidency. And of course the mercenaries aren't all ex-soldiers doing the same jobs for the same reasons with better pay, they are instead money hungry monsters. Nothing worse in my book than being condescended to over someone else's unsophisticated political positions in a middle of a half-baked movie.

Now this is a mistake! Perhaps Tarantino’s greatest work as a director.

Although- True Romance might be my favorite “Tarantino Movie”, he “only” wrote it, Tony Scott directed. Absolute pinnacle of 90s ultra violence- Christopher Walken and Gary Oldman may have had their best performances of all tine in that film. Brad Pitt plays an amazing stoner character.. Just an absolute tour-de-force MASTERPIECE!
My favorite all time movie. "I like you Clarence. Always have. Always will"

Reactions: Jon Snow
3rd book and movie is the best 1 . If you ask me.
I definitely think the 3rd movie was best. Alfonso Cuaron has made some great movies in his career.
Book-wise, I do like the 3rd book but I hated the whole time-turner element. I’d say OOTP was my favorite.

Reactions: jeff2001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT