ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A Movie Most Everyone Has Seen But You Have Not

The Godfather

JjOn.gif

The last Star Wars movie I saw was Return of the Jedi in 1983, I have not seen any of the more recent ones.

Reactions: cocks rule
WOW, just WOW.
I didn't think there was any carbon based life form that hasn't seen those movies.
Which begs the question, Why not ?
That is how I feel about Star Wars, but I have come to realize in recent years that young adults think of Star Wars in the context of the two new iterations which are absolute GARBAGE compared to the originals. So I can appreciate someone not getting into Star Wars with Jar Jar Binks or that girl jedi representing their introductions to the franchise. You are MUCH better off watching the Mandelorian than any of the six newest Star Wars movies... Even that random standalone “Rogue One” movie was way better than the six newer “series” films they came out with...

Of course the idea that ANY film mentioned in this thread was not watched by most anyone is virtually unconscionable to me- but I was a film major in college and my first job in HS was at a video House... So, I have always been a movie guy.

Pulp Fiction
Now this is a mistake! Perhaps Tarantino’s greatest work as a director.

Although- True Romance might be my favorite “Tarantino Movie”, he “only” wrote it, Tony Scott directed. Absolute pinnacle of 90s ultra violence- Christopher Walken and Gary Oldman may have had their best performances of all tine in that film. Brad Pitt plays an amazing stoner character.. Just an absolute tour-de-force MASTERPIECE!

Citizen Kane
Well, this was one of the greatest works of acting in cinema history but alas few these days have probably actually watched it. Kind of slow and dry for modern audiences... Cemented Orson Wells as one of the best to ever do it though. Anyone whose RADIO acting can set off a nationwide panic about an alien invasion has a real talent...

So... You.. Just... Don’t WATCH movies huh?

Not really a lot of movies. I do enjoy werewolf movies, and Revenge of the Nerds is the greatest movie in Earth's....no, the Milky Way's history. I know there is at least one other poster on here that feels the same.

I did like Pulp Fiction though. Also, Reservoir Dogs and Sling Blade were a couple others I like.

The last movie I saw in a theater was when I took my nephew to see Rise of the Guardians.

Reactions: caughtlookin
I haven't seen any of the Godfather movies or Pulp Fiction. I watched the original Star Wars and for some reason it didn't do it for me so I've never watched another. I finally got around to watching Sling Blade about a week ago. Really liked it.
@JayWillUSC : You really need to see Shawshank. It's one of the best movies ever.

Are the Harry Potter movies strictly for kids?
The early ones are kind of “kiddy”... but it gets dark in the last few books/movies.
Funny enough- LOTR and Harry Potter (both mentioned by the guy you quoted) are among the best book to movie series adaptations in the history of film. So often Hollywood over simplifies the themes and plot subtext of good books when delivering them to screen- or just BUTCHERS them altogether leaving a soul-less shell of a movie depicting what was a great book! (world War Z being a recent example)... but LOTR and Harry Potter ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT! The movies were as entertaining as the books, hit most all the important plot points, get the “look” of the main characters spot on... LOTR had a bit too much “love affair” between the hobbits for my taste, but the books were a little creepy on all that too so it was not a disingenuous representation of the books...

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Now this is a mistake! Perhaps Tarantino’s greatest work as a director.

Although- True Romance might be my favorite “Tarantino Movie”, he “only” wrote it, Tony Scott directed. Absolute pinnacle of 90s ultra violence- Christopher Walken and Gary Oldman may have had their best performances of all tine in that film. Brad Pitt plays an amazing stoner character.. Just an absolute tour-de-force MASTERPIECE!
Arguably the most violent opening of any movie ever. The music takes it to another level! This was a”decade” movie. It defined the 90s along with a handful of other movies.
Good or bad.

Are the Harry Potter movies strictly for kids?
I loved the books. I guess I’d say I enjoyed the movies. As someone else stated, the first two were more “kids” books/movies. The 3rd movie was well-done and the 4th book is where things get darker.

The early ones are kind of “kiddy”... but it gets dark in the last few books/movies.
Funny enough- LOTR and Harry Potter (both mentioned by the guy you quoted) are among the best book to movie series adaptations in the history of film. So often Hollywood over simplifies the themes and plot subtext of good books when delivering them to screen- or just BUTCHERS them altogether leaving a soul-less shell of a movie depicting what was a great book! (world War Z being a recent example)... but LOTR and Harry Potter ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT! The movies were as entertaining as the books, hit most all the important plot points, get the “look” of the main characters spot on... LOTR had a bit too much “love affair” between the hobbits for my taste, but the books were a little creepy on all that too so it was not a disingenuous representation of the books...

I'm going to have to try both series. You make both sound very enticing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT