ADVERTISEMENT

OT: According to numerous Forbes reports over 340,000 CA. employees make over $100,000/Yr.

Hopefully not to Cali.
tenor.gif

When a small single family ranch home costs 800k, 100k don't go that far.I don't understand how anyone making 70-80k can live in Ca or NY.The high income techies and illegal immigrants are moving in and the blue collar -lower income white collar are moving to Texas,Idaho,or Colorado.

Cali is for the very rich and the very poor. Average Joes like most of us are heading for TX.

When a small single family ranch home costs 800k, 100k don't go that far.I don't understand how anyone making 70-80k can live in Ca or NY.The high income techies and illegal immigrants are moving in and the blue collar -lower income white collar are moving to Texas,Idaho,or Colorado.
Or SC. You would be surprised how many people are moving here from NY. You can sell a little bungalow in Ny or NJ, take the money from that sale, come to Columbia, buy a 3,000 sq foot lake home and pocket $200,000 of excess revenue from the little bungalow you sold in NY. I saw it happening over and over when I worked at TD bank here in Columbia- that bank is huge up in the NE so lots of those people banked with us...

Last edited:
Or SC. You would be surprised how many people are moving here from NY. You can sell a little bungalow in Ny or NJ, take the money from that sale, cone to Columbia, buy a 3,000 sq foot lake home and pocket $200,000 grand of excess revenue from the little bungalow you sold in NY. I saw it happening over and over when I worked at TD bank here in Columbia- that bank is huge up in the NE so lots of those people banked with us...

True

Idaho people are tired of California people moving there. They are buying homes with their "monopoly money". Contrary to the opinions of Fighting Gamecock Forum, not every place in CA is outrageously expensive. Young or middle class people trying to buy a home in a nice place is quite a challenge, though. What happens is, land gets developed further and further away from where people work and soon, that housing inventory gets snatched up. It's a tough place to live. And many Californians can't envision life anywhere else.

Home? My cousin rents a modest 2 br 1 bath apartment in San Fran for $2200 a month. I promise you it’s nothing fancy
Exactly... that is over $25,000 a year just for rent! Think about your true take home from $100k after taxes, SS, any payroll deductions ... it is less that $50k net for most people.. how the Hell is someone supposed to live off that when over half your money is going just to pay your rent and then everything else costs more too? Pfft... They can keep Cali!

Reactions: ThirdTTrio
Or SC. You would be surprised how many people are moving here from NY. You can sell a little bungalow in Ny or NJ, take the money from that sale, come to Columbia, buy a 3,000 sq foot lake home and pocket $200,000 of excess revenue from the little bungalow you sold in NY. I saw it happening over and over when I worked at TD bank here in Columbia- that bank is huge up in the NE so lots of those people banked with us...
Happens all the time anywhere in the Southeast US. They also draw a six figure pension from the job in NY - many of them government pensions.

Happens all the time anywhere in the Southeast US. They also draw a six figure pension from the job in NY - many of them government pensions.
Yup... Meanwhile, if I sell a home in Columbia and turn a nice profit- say 20-30 grand- then move to NY, it will barely pay for a down payment on a shack up there!

Home? My cousin rents a modest 2 br 1 bath apartment in San Fran for $2200 a month. I promise you it’s nothing fancy
Unbelievable. When I got out of AF in Jan '65 two of is rented a two bed 1 bath apt for $35 PM.
There is no reasonable reason for cost of living to go up that high.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT