ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alright guys I took the plunge on the LG OLED now I need your advice on the audio

cockn'fyr

Mar 26, 2006
I think I've settled on the Denon AVR-S740H receiver, now I need to build a decent speaker system, but not all at one time. Looking to start building from the bookshelf speaker first
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 or ELAC Uni-fi UB5 or Klipsch RP-150M or Klipsch RP-160M, does anyone have any experience with any of these and what are your thoughts? Second question, after the bookshelves do you go center speaker or sub-woofer next? Lastly, for the rear I will need wireless, since none of these bookshelves are wireless how do I know which brand of wireless to pair with these, kind of tough building this system on a budget and a piece at a time, but as SOS said, it is what it is! TIA

Age old question about speakers. It all comes down to your budget and what sounds good to you.
You should do yourself a favor and audition several speakers and decide what sounds best for you. There are many reputable speaker manufactures but only you can determine what you think produces the best sound you're looking for.
One suggestion, don't get fooled by that deeper base is best. Yes there is more oomph, but that does not necessarily equate to best dynamic range.
Believe me I've auditioned too many speakers to count. It is rare to get more than 2 people to decide what "sounds best".

Last edited:
Unless you want surround sound, a decent soundbar will give you all the sound you want. I bought a $200 one at Best Buy on sale for around $130. There are 3 settings for sports, movies, and TV (for when you need to hear dialogue more clearly on a lower volume). I’ve never had the sound more than half way up. It will blow you into the next room if you increase the volume any higher.

Center channel is one of the most important. Check out www.htd.com.....home theater direct premium inexpensive speakers. Speakers are going to be in the ear of the beholder. You will drive yourself crazy reading reviews and deciding what is best. Best way is to listen. Unfortunately, a lot of speakers you are looking up may not be in a showroom to listen to.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I agree with others...it is a matter of preference. I have had Bose, RCA (old school I know!), Klipsch, and Vizio equipment. I personally like Klipsch best of all (I have them by my pool, headphones, and in my living room However, I bought a Vizio soundbar with a wireless sub for the bedroom, and it is surprisingly good.

Soundbars are not bad for small rooms or to get decent sound reproduction from your TV. If you are more into critical listening (music) or better than average movie soundtracks then this would not be your ideal option.

Soundbars are not bad for small rooms or to get decent sound reproduction from your TV. If you are more into critical listening (music) or better than average movie soundtracks then this would not be your ideal option.
Hold up...we just moved and downsized to a condo with cathedral ceilings. I currently have well over $5k in surround equipment stacked on shelves in the garage and would love to have the money back for the “next best thing” I was obsessed with buying over the past 5 years. Due to the construction of the condo I was
forced to go wireless so started soundbar shopping. After many reviews I checked out the Yamaha YAS207. Wow, I finally found a sound that doesn’t get stale after a few weeks. And it was only $299.

Yeah, really looking at this for stereo listening first, big music lover here! Secondly so much great live music and recorded concerts available on tv these days, good speakers are just an enhancement, not to say sound bars are bad, just looking for a bigger, richer sound! I'm really leaning Klipsch after a bit more research last night, they are affordable and several reviews are saying they are way under priced for the sound you get.Now the question for down the road, center speaker or sub-woofer first? Thanks for the responses, some good input!

Yeah, really looking at this for stereo listening first, big music lover here! Secondly so much great live music and recorded concerts available on tv these days, good speakers are just an enhancement, not to say sound bars are bad, just looking for a bigger, richer sound! I'm really leaning Klipsch after a bit more research last night, they are affordable and several reviews are saying they are way under priced for the sound you get.Now the question for down the road, center speaker or sub-woofer first? Thanks for the responses, some good input!
If you feel the Klipsch lower range is fairly adequate for a short period of time then you may be able to hold off and focus on the center channel.

Avoid The Klipsch sub (svs was mentioned & they are very good), Martin Logan dynamo series as well.
Klipsch is good at speakers but poor when it comes to electronics or most anything they ship with a power cord.

While I agree the center channel is key in surround sound systems. The sub is what impacts the entire room and experience and a quality sub can enhance your music experiences too.

No Bose fans here? The new 700 Soundbar is enjoyable. Wireless Sub....can add components for surround.

Bose is a very well marketed brand and performance for the dollar. Their strength is in headphones and pro audio. Their residential offerings perform well but can be a little tricky tying them into other technologies.

Avoid The Klipsch sub (svs was mentioned & they are very good), Martin Logan dynamo series as well.
Klipsch is good at speakers but poor when it comes to electronics or most anything they ship with a power cord.

While I agree the center channel is key in surround sound systems. The sub is what impacts the entire room and experience and a quality sub can enhance your music experiences too.
So you don't mind mixing brands when purchasing the sub? I believe SVS is out of my price range, have seen Martin Logan reviewed, but have not researched.

I have Sonos throughout the house...best system I've come across. It all wireless and works off wi-fi. It's not the cheapest out there but the sound is amazing.
Agreed, we have the Playbar and ones about to add more. So easy to play music, create lists, sounds great.

So you don't mind mixing brands when purchasing the sub? I believe SVS is out of my price range, have seen Martin Logan reviewed, but have not researched.

The guys at Elite Audio on 378, or the folks at integrated media chapin hwy 6, should be able to acquire a Martin Logan Dynamo 700(my vote) or a 500 for a little less $, both solid performance for very good value.

I can recommend AV companies pretty much anywhere in the US & a couple in Canada & Puerto Rico

Agreed, we have the Playbar and ones about to add more. So easy to play music, create lists, sounds great.
I just got the Beam for another room. Smaller but yet sounds just as good as the playbar but with built in Alexa. Very cool system plus you can move them around the whole house. Works well for my porch.

Update: So I purchased the Denon AVR S740H as a Christmas present to myself and I pulled the old ADS speakers off the bookshelf and off their side and mounted them on some decent stands and got them upright, what an amazing difference, those old speakers still have some life left in them and I had a few guys on the AVS forum say you might not find a better speaker in the $500-600 range which puts the speaker purchase on the back burner. So focusing on the Sub and after some research I was leaning heavy to the SVS SB-1000 Sub. then on further research narrowed it down to the HSU VTF-2 MK5 and the Rythmik LV12F, going with the HSU, didn't realize how hard this choice would be, with the price being similar I decided the tuning and port plug really sold the HSU. I highly recommend, beyond reviews, checking out the post on the AV Forums before purchase, without being able to hear the merchandise I really felt like they answered all of my question hopefully keeping me from making a bad purchase, time will tell. Thanks Guys

Those are nice especially if you're a millionaire!

True, but if you scroll down you end up with some nice choices. Wharfedale Diamonds 225 would be great, at under $500.00 a pair. Alternatively, just go buy some Vandersteen's and be done with it. I keep up with this stuff.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT