ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any of y'all ever win money in the lottery or any other expensive or cool prize? A buddy of mine...

My wife won 500.00 2 weeks in a row playing Cash 3.
Unfortunately that was a while ago, but a nice little bonus at the time.

I won $2000 on a bingo jackpot once. That was quite a thrill! A guy I used to work with a few years ago claimed he won a car in a drawing, but none of us ever actually saw that car. I still don't believe him.

Reactions: atl-cock
That's awesome, never been to AC. How are the games there??
I was last there in 2014. Not sure about now, but then it wasn't as busy as I expected. I mostly play blackjack and craps, and there was a lively group around the craps table....but now that I think about it, the craps table always seems to have a lively group. I'm not good at gambling, but I like to gamble.

Not exactly the same thing but...

In 2010, I exercised two sets of stock options I had received from Amazon.com that I was about to lose because the option was going to expire.

The first set was 100 shares from 2000, that all employees receive on hiring. The strike price was $29.00/share.

The second set was a 100 share "Annual Award" option I received in 2001. The strike price for that set was $7.92/share.

I still have those shares. Turns out that was the best $3692 I ever spent.

Headed to my room and walked by a slot machine in Las Vegas with $3 left in my pocket. Put the money in and won $1100. Got my winnings and headed to my room again. Walked by once more and dropped another $3 in the machine next to the one I just hit. Won $1000. Headed to my room again…but heard those angelic voices at the blackjack table. Yep, should have gone to my room.

I was at an industry convention in Kansas City back in the late 90's. Entered a drawing for a waverunner. I get home from the airport, and my wife asks "did you enter a drawing for a waverunner"? Yep, and they had called saying that I won it. Shipped it directly to me, waverunner, trailer, a couple of life jackets. We had had a couple of waverunners in the past, they always stayed in the shop, didn't want it. Looked up what they were selling for new, took 10% off, unloaded it within a few days, never cranked it up. Used the money to put up a pole building.

Reactions: TAV31
When I was about 10, I entered a drawing at Sears, not knowing that the prize was a baby doll. They called and said that I won. I was upset about winning a baby doll and at first they werent going to do anything until my dad fussed at them and they gave in and switched out the baby doll for a scope for my BB gun!
When my wife and I were dating, she won a jet ski in a drawing. We had a ball with that thing back in the day.

Got 4 out of 5 numbers in the GA lottery pick 5 drawing once. Ironically the first 4 so that last one seemed to take forever to pop up.
Anyway thats 1 in 8000 odds and i won a whopping 91 bucks. 5 of 5 was 160k.
Never bought another lottery ticket.
Only the jackpot winner gets the bulk.

I won 5 turkeys and 5 hams at a VFW turkey shoot one night with a house gun. 20 shooters per round. Me and a buddy only entered the turkey/ham combo shoots and we won them all. He probably won about 5 combos also. Must have been a hundred people there. Crazy lucky.

Reactions: TAV31
Back in around 2005, I missed the WHOLE damned thing by 1 number!!WTF!! got 4 white balls and Power ball.
See, that would just drive me crazy for the rest of my life. I'd rather not win anything at all than just be one number from the jackpot. It's like the Olympics. I'd rather win a bronze than a silver. Being that close would drive me mad.

Reactions: bflogger28
In 1985, a coworker and I attended a San Antonio Gunslingers (USFL) home game where they announced they would be drawing a seat number and awarding a brand new Chrysler to the person sitting in the seat. They drew the seat my coworker was sitting in next to me. He won the car but he had to pay almost five grand in various taxes upfront.

See, that would just drive me crazy for the rest of my life. I'd rather not win anything at all than just be one number from the jackpot. It's like the Olympics. I'd rather win a bronze than a silver. Being that close would drive me mad.
so TRUE, i did win a Little, but it ended up costing me (LOL) i didnt file it

Right before boarding a flight leaving Vegas I dropped $3 in a slot machine and won $5K… all most missed the flight waiting on the attendant to bring my $. Couldn’t ask for a better way to leave Vegas but I did think about staying another day.

Reactions: TAV31 and FORKCOCK
I won $30 of a scratch off I bought passing through Georgia on our way to the Outback Bowl. My brother in law won $50k a year or so ago on a scratch off, and got whizzed off because they taxed his prize and he also had to claim in towards his income that year 🤣

Won a 40' TV at a parts store. That's the only time I have ever been in that store. And I was just there for the free lunch.
$800 lottery
$400 NBC sports predictor app.

Well, I can say I am a pretty lucky person. Since I was a child, I knew how to win such games :D The most significant sum of money that I won was 15k, and once, I also won 10k. Still, I know what a sin this game can be and how addicted it may become. I can usually buy lottery tickets and then stay on calotteries.com waiting for the daily results, and maybe I'll win again. Anyway, I would want people to understand that such games are addictive, and you should know how and when to stop.

Last edited:
Late nineties. I and a couple friends would pick up lottery tickets for each other if we were in Florida. We would buy a batch and play them out.

One night I was sitting at my Radio Shack computer waiting for the 11:00 numbers. The first number was a miss. Oh well, another wasted batch. Wrong!!!! The next five came in on the money. Payout over five thousand.

We were pretty darn excited. Made a nice little car down-payment back then.

Nowadays, I don't play anymore.

Many years ago a friend of mine won the Portugese lottery for around $100,000. Really nice prize but the kicker was that he could not take the money out of the country.
So he bought a small place on the beach somewhere....can't remember where.

2nd cousin won $10,000,000 in the state lottery. Ex-wife sued saying he used community property to buy the ticket and she deserved a share. Two other lawsuits from old business dealings from people who had no business suing. He was manager of an old folks home and gave a bunch of the old longtime employees $10,000 as a gift. Died 14 months later of a heart attack. Ex-wife contesting will.

I was in Tahoe several years ago on a ski trip over Super Bowl weekend and bet $100 on a 42-1 prop bet involving six different occurrences in the game. It hit the sixth with a minute left and I won $4200. Then I got insanely drunk and went to the blackjack table and got a very friendly dealer (who vacationed in SC) and evidently went on an epic run. I say evidently because I was so inebriated that I remember nothing except our flight left at 7am or so and I left the table at 5am. Security walked me back to my room because they were afraid someone would rob me. My buddies were pissed because we almost missed our flight, but they were happy that I bought them dinner once we got back to Charlotte. $28,000.

Won a 40' TV at a parts store. That's the only time I have ever been in that store. And I was just there for the free lunch.
$800 lottery
$400 NBC sports predictor app.
I had no idea they made TVs that big. Where on earth did you put it?

Reactions: mavcock
2nd cousin won $10,000,000 in the state lottery. Ex-wife sued saying he used community property to buy the ticket and she deserved a share. Two other lawsuits from old business dealings from people who had no business suing. He was manager of an old folks home and gave a bunch of the old longtime employees $10,000 as a gift. Died 14 months later of a heart attack. Ex-wife contesting will.
Dang....

Lol, you know what mean. 40" .inch.
Yes, I must admit that I did know what you meant. I just couldn't help myself.
Here's one for you. I found a used lottery ticket on the road in front of my mailbox. It was one of those enter for a second chance to win types. So I entered it online...and won! Didn't even buy the ticket. How's that for good fortune.

Reactions: jeff2001
ADVERTISEMENT