ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody ever see the movie Into the Wild?

cockn'fyr

Mar 26, 2006
Really good indie flick! I would suggest not looking at any reviews, just go find it and watch it. A little slow in parts, but a great message!

Reactions: TheReelEss
Yes, I’ve seen it and agree it’s a good movie. The documentary, “The Call of the Wild,” about the real life story of Chris McCandless is good as well.

Great movie that my entire family loves.The "Magic Bus" in the Alaska Outback was recently moved because so many people were going to see it in a such a remote location.

Reactions: funktavious
I thought the movie was very well done, directed by Sean Penn, great soundtrack including Eddie Vedder. Not sure how remote the area was, but just because there was a bus there doesn't mean it was close to populated areas?

Loved the movie although the story is tragic. That is what happens when young utopian, romantic, dreamy-eyed idealism gets crossed with a naive lack of awareness, coupled with a lack of any real wilderness skills. Nature does not care about your rose-colored glasses. Honestly, if it werent for my wife and kids, I would LOVE to go to one of these training programs that teach you how to survive on your own out there for long periods of time. I know basic camping but thats about it. Being alone has never really bothered me, in fact, I would quite enjoy it. Speaking of Alone, is anyone watching that? That's 1 of a whole 3 shows that I watch on TV. Great show and even those contestants who have years of experience in the wild struggle in those situations they are put in. The kid in Into The Wild was completely unprepared and paid dearly for it.

Since we're on the subject of young people setting off on adventures in the wild, I'll give a plug to the documentary Unbranded. It's about 4 recent Texas A&M grads, all experienced horsemen, who get the crazy idea of adopting and training a group of wild mustangs and riding them from the Mexican border to the Canadian border through the Rockies. If you like horses, incredible western scenery, or a sense of adventure, and especially if you like all three, give this documentary a look. If you are a horse person, it will give you a strong respect for the trainability and durability of the wild horses in the American west.

Last edited:
Since we're on the subject of young people setting off on adventures in the wild, I'll give a plug to the documentary Unbranded. It's about 4 recent Texas A&M grads, all experienced horsemen, who get the crazy idea of adopting and training a group of wild mustang's and riding them from the Mexican border to the Canadian border through the Rockies. If you like horses, incredible western scenery, or a sense of adventure, and especially if you like all three, give this documentary a look. If you are a horse person, it will give you a strong respect for the trainability and durability of the wild horses in the American west.
I will have to check that out...

Unbranded was a great watch for sure. Those are the kinds of young men that we should be holding up. Not the weak like McCandless.

Yeah, I would think it's a given, if you're going to go off the grid and do something like that, you better have a clue of what you're doing!

I think McCandless had some great qualities that I admire. However, his lack of knowledge and preparation cost him everything.
It's important to note that the kid had serious mental health issues. Someone in a manic state is liable to do something like this without being fully prepared. He showed that even before going to Alaska.

I've read the book and seen the film. Both are good, but the film is slow. And the soundtrack is amazing, as has been said.

I thought the movie was very well done, directed by Sean Penn, great soundtrack including Eddie Vedder. Not sure how remote the area was, but just because there was a bus there doesn't mean it was close to populated areas?
The bus was taken out there by hunters if I'm not mistaken and he was pretty far from civilization. I believe it was hunters who eventually found him as well.
The message was that a moron starved to death in a place that other people parked a city bus.

Think about that for a second.
He didn't just starve to death. He mistakenly ate poisonous seeds he thought to be wild potato seeds that prevented him from going out to get food.

Great movie !!! Hey the kid wasn’t prepared but the things he got to experience were things some of us may never experience in our lifetime . Just because a kid doesn’t want to conform to society and work a job he hates for 50 years and fall into a cookie cutter life is pretty cool in my opinion . In all honestly the things he saw and experienced in his very short life are things that we may never see. I wouldn’t have the cajones to do what he did , not many do . I bet even lying in the bus dying he probably didn’t have many regrets (other than studying his forage a little better). Very cool movie .

Great movie !!! Hey the kid wasn’t prepared but the things he got to experience were things some of us may never experience in our lifetime . Just because a kid doesn’t want to conform to society and work a job he hates for 50 years and fall into a cookie cutter life is pretty cool in my opinion . In all honestly the things he saw and experienced in his very short life are things that we may never see. I wouldn’t have the cajones to do what he did , not many do . I bet even lying in the bus dying he probably didn’t have many regrets (other than studying his forage a little better). Very cool movie .
My son has done a little of that, not shitcanned all his possessions and burned his currency, but he's definitely not been afraid to go after his dreams and not conform to anyone's agenda on how to live his life! More power to him, don't know where he got it from!

I respect those who dont conform to societal norms and do their own thing (assuming lawful and it isnt harming anyone else). Live true to your values and there's a certain frontiersman quality to that I respect. But be consistent. If you don't want to work the dreaded job for 40 years and save for retirement, more power to you, but please don't complain if you haven't saved any money and don't expect everyone else to pay for your retirement.

I just saw the other week that the bus had been removed. Too many people were getting in over their heads trying to visit.

I love the movie. The guy is not different than many young people. Life is short. I'm not sure it was tragic.

Last edited:
I think I would've went the Dick Proenneke route to escape society. I always loved when his documentary would come on PBS as a kid.

I respect those who dont conform to societal norms and do their own thing (assuming lawful and it isnt harming anyone else). Live true to your values and there's a certain frontiersman quality to that I respect. But be consistent. If you don't want to work the dreaded job for 40 years and save for retirement, more power to you, but please don't complain if you haven't saved any money and don't expect everyone else to pay for your retirement.

That’s a good trade of for me . I left my 6 figure a year Corp job 10 years ago and it was the best decision of my life . I do what I love and barely scrape by but I wouldn’t change it for the world . I know I’ll have no retirement and no savings but that’s the life I chose and wouldn’t change a thing . However , I would never expect to take a dime from anybody when I can’t do what I do anymore . I’ll never have the big house and fancy toys but I’m 150% good with that .

Sad story.

Cautionary tale. Don't venture into the great outdoors unless you are knowledgeable and prepared.

I liked that he thought that he was searching for life's meaning through a "great adventure" and found out that during his isolation that the richness of life came from sharing experiences with those you care about.Too bad he didn't live to reunite with his family.

iu

Sad story.

Cautionary tale. Don't venture into the great outdoors unless you are knowledgeable and prepared.
It is a sad and cautionary tale. But I think it's worth remembering that most of this country was settled by people who had no knowledge of the land they ventured into and many were completely unprepared for what they would find there. And MANY died early deaths, for a variety of reasons. I recognize the difference between pioneers and a young man with mental health problems, but historically, the lure of a "better life," whatever that may mean to different people, has been strong enough that people are willing to risk everything to find it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT