ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody got any good new music recommendations? Love the Greta Van Fleet referral several months

Both of those made most of the top 5 Roots music list, I did get Golden Hour!

Last few purchases: All 2018 but GVF
Greta Van Fleet - From the Fires
St. Paul and BB
Mike Farris
Western Centuries
Kacey Musgraves
Travlin' McCourey's
Natalie Prass
Courtney Barnett - Tell me how you really feel
Gregg Allman
Brent Cobb - Providence Canyon
Billy Strings - Tinfoil and Turmoil (GOT)

Yep, heard, them both really liked AA.

To buy list: All 2018 issues
Town Mountain
Rhett Miller
John Hiatt (from what you're listing, I think you would love this PunyD)
Boz Scaggs

Reactions: punydevil
I've seen Hiatt live. Opened for Robert Cray. We left 15 minutes into Cray's set because it was such a comedown. Wife and I danced to Have a Little Faith In Me as our first dance in 1989. Huge Miller/97's fan. Listened to Alive and Wired at physical therapy today. Great band. I asume you already know Isbell and DBT.

Reactions: RichFin53
Yep I saw him open for Jackson Brown, great show! Got to knock the 97's of my bucket list, they/he just keeps cranking out great music! Oh yes big fan of both!

Reactions: punydevil
Buck Owens & His Buckaroos (60s/early 70s recordings recommended)

Johnson Mountain Boys

Ricky Skaggs

Stanley Brothers

Neko Case

Hackensaw Boys

Osborne Brothers

Flying Burrito Brothers

New Riders of the Purple Sage

Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen

Last edited:
Right in your backyard ... Marcus King Band from Greenville . Especially if your into Allman Brothers or Blues and Soul . I’m a big jamband/ funk guy so my list is a little different but they are all worth a listen :

The Fritz who are from Asheville incidentally
The Main Squeeze
Lettuce- for Nola Funk fans
JJ Gray and Mofro- for southern rock / soul
Brandon “taz” Neidemier- teenage Guitar god
Tedeshi Trucks Band
Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds
Gary Clark Jr
Umphrey’s Mcgee- check out the album Zonkey , it’s a funny record
The Revivalists- One of the best live bands I’ve ever seen

For a few off the beaten path bands I’ve seen that lately that are amazing .. Check out “Come Back Alice” from Tampa , “The Groove Orient” from Jacksonville and especially if your into the harder classic rock/ zeppelin “The Owsley Brothers” from Santa Rosa Beach Fl . Hope this helps .

Reactions: Scooter2001
Billy Strings - this young kid might be the best guitarist around right now

He’s amazing . Saw him a few months ago . Check out Brandon Neidemier aka “Taz” . I meet him when he was about 13 and saw him and his band play Whipping Post pretty much note for note . I think he’s 17 or 18 now . He is an absolute Freak . I saw Derek Trucks and Joe Bonnamassa when they were gigging as teens and “Taz” is as good or better than they were . Definitely check him out .

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Good stuff guys, only a few i haven’t heard of, i will check them out! Saw Billy in G’ville a month ago, near religious experience! Taz is special, i wouldn’t think he’s 15 yet!

He’s amazing . Saw him a few months ago . Check out Brandon Neidemier aka “Taz” . I meet him when he was about 13 and saw him and his band play Whipping Post pretty much note for note . I think he’s 17 or 18 now . He is an absolute Freak . I saw Derek Trucks and Joe Bonnamassa when they were gigging as teens and “Taz” is as good or better than they were . Definitely check him out .
Oh yeah, he's definitely on my radar. Been following him for the last year or so

Last show of a six week run, Billy looks in the audience and says "yeah we're practiced up"! Pretty cool dude!

Here's a throw in, one of the best things I saw in 2018!

So many good guitarist out there, got to see these guys!

Both of those made most of the top 5 Roots music list, I did get Golden Hour!

Last few purchases: All 2018 but GVF
Greta Van Fleet - From the Fires
St. Paul and BB
Mike Farris
Western Centuries
Kacey Musgraves
Travlin' McCourey's
Natalie Prass
Courtney Barnett - Tell me how you really feel
Gregg Allman
Brent Cobb - Providence Canyon
Billy Strings - Tinfoil and Turmoil (GOT)
I'm listening to Greta right now. My daughter asked to listen to Ozzy's Boneyard on XM yesterday. I was proud. They came on and she loved them. She doesn't see the Zepp influence yet. I saw Brent Cobb with Chris Stapleton. I was highly impressed. In fact, I liked him better.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockn'fyr
What is Bro-Country?
It's the style of country where all the music is exactly the same and they just rearrange the words tailgate, dirt road, 4WD, cold beer, mud flap, six-pack, etc.In my family, we call it 6-pack-mud-flap country. If you want to hear some, turn the radio to any country station. It's the current formula that record companies are forcing bands to conform to. Florida-Georgia Line and Colt Ford are mostly at fault. Chris Stapleton and Brent Cobb are the antidote.

It's the style of country where all the music is exactly the same and they just rearrange the words tailgate, dirt road, 4WD, cold beer, mud flap, six-pack, etc.In my family, we call it 6-pack-mud-flap country. If you want to hear some, turn the radio to any country station. It's the current formula that record companies are forcing bands to conform to. Florida-Georgia Line and Colt Ford are mostly at fault. Chris Stapleton and Brent Cobb are the antidote.
I couldn't have said it better myself, only adding Sturgill, Tyler Childers, Whitey Morgan and Cody Jinks as a few original additions!

Oh yeah, he's definitely on my radar. Been following him for the last year or so

Super nice kid also !!! He’s just a normal 15 year old that likes to play video games , play outside and jam with Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks at Red Rocks !! Super sweet kid .

Reactions: Gamecockdvw
Good stuff guys, only a few i haven’t heard of, i will check them out! Saw Billy in G’ville a month ago, near religious experience! Taz is special, i wouldn’t think he’s 15 yet!

Check out Sister Sparrow too . Amazing band . Super hot lead singer which is a plus too !! I think you will dig them . Going to see Lettuce and JJ Grey and Mofro in a three day period this month . Stoked about that !! So glad to hear people excited about Good New Music . As a working musician for 15+ years it makes my Soul Shine !!! Good stuff !!

Check out Sister Sparrow too . Amazing band . Super hot lead singer which is a plus too !! I think you will dig them . Going to see Lettuce and JJ Grey and Mofro in a three day period this month . Stoked about that !! So glad to hear people excited about Good New Music . As a working musician for 15+ years it makes my Soul Shine !!! Good stuff !!
Love JJ, should have a new album coming soon! Just caught Lettuce on the Bluegrass Underground show a month or so back, really talented group!

Last edited:

Bro country is the worst genre In music . No soul , Nashville big produced garbage . It’s basically like boy bands in the 90s with cowboy hats . The real geniuses of bro country are the Amazing Producers and Incredible session Musicians like Brent Mason , Guthrie Trapp , and Andy Wood that make those hacks stars . The amount of studio magic that goes into it is ridiculous. Thank god for Guys like Chris Stapleton , Brent Cobb , Jamie Johnson , etc etc . Hank Sr and Waylon would be rolling over in their graves if not for them .

Bro country is the worst genre In music . No soul , Nashville big produced garbage . It’s basically like boy bands in the 90s with cowboy hats . The real geniuses of bro country are the Amazing Producers and Incredible session Musicians like Brent Mason , Guthrie Trapp , and Andy Wood that make those hacks stars . The amount of studio magic that goes into it is ridiculous. Thank god for Guys like Chris Stapleton , Brent Cobb , Jamie Johnson , etc etc . Hank Sr and Waylon would be rolling over in their graves if not for them .

Those artists had their own dislikes of the Nashville record co's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT