ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone been looking for a used car?

kidcock#

Aug 3, 2001
Seems as if though there's a huge discrepancy as to what's being offered for a trade-in vs. used cars. Im looking for a truck...they want roughly 12k for a 2006 truck with an average of 150k miles and offering 2.5k for my 2006 Nissan Murano w 122k miles on it. WTH??

The used vehicle market is the craziest it's ever been right now. I'm holding off as long as I can make stuff run. I hate to go new with insurance and taxes being what they are. But if I were driven to the wall right now, I would have to consider it. Even highly driven used vehicles are ridiculous right now.

I'm guessing that even though used cars are at an all time high, dealers know it's gonna crash at some point so they're very cautious about how much they'll put in a trade in.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
Just got my 2019 tundra appraised where I bought it. They are willing to give me more than what I paid for it. With a dent in the rear quarter panel and 2 tears in the head liner.

Reactions: chief2791
Trucks hold more value than a SUV. If you think your Nissan is worth more than try selling it. A dealership isn't going to give you much for it

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
Just got my 2019 tundra appraised where I bought it. They are willing to give me more than what I paid for it. With a dent in the rear quarter panel and 2 tears in the head liner.
Same here, have a 2019 truck. It's in great condition, 40k miles. The dealership that sold it to me offered me $4,800 more than I paid for it. The market is ridiculous.

I'm just not one to trade/sell vehicles often. Had a 2006 that I put 350k miles on before I bought the 2019. The 06 is still running, my father has it to run local errands. Too many little things started going wrong for me to trust it longer distances.

My 06 Chevy has 265k. I'm starting to look, but luckily I don't have to rush it. It's like these current values are almost fake. I just got my house refinanced. The appraisal came back at 325k, when I damn well know it's worth about 250k at the most. My friend just got almost 120k more for their place about two months ago. They were asking 350k. Great time to sell, terrible time to buy or build anything.

It’s Ridiculous. My wife has a brand new SUV and my truck has 186k so I’ve been looking around and it’s RIDICULOUS. Saw some trucks with over 220k on them and folks are asking 30 or 40 grand . It’s insane . My buddy just sold his Truck with over 150k for $25,000 I thought he was joking when he listed it . I’m gonna drive mine until the wheels fall off it it before I spend that kind of cash .

Reactions: Macc Maine
Seems as if though there's a huge discrepancy as to what's being offered for a trade-in vs. used cars. Im looking for a truck...they want roughly 12k for a 2006 truck with an average of 150k miles and offering 2.5k for my 2006 Nissan Murano w 122k miles on it. WTH??
If you sell it to carvana or Carmax you will get top dollar for it. I just did

Dang.. you are pretty rough on that Tundra. Did she get her heels caught in the headliner????
No the headliner sucks. It’s very fragile. One scratch was the bead on my shotgun early one morning on a duck hunt when I was late. Being late to a wood duck hunt is bad, lol. If you know you know.

The other one I’m not 100% sure so I didn’t cause an uproar but I think my tint installer did.

However it’s very fragile if anything hard or rough catches it it’s going to make it Fray. It’s not like torn and coming down it’s just where it caught the fibers.

The dent was not my fault just haven’t had time to get it fixed.

My 06 Chevy has 265k. I'm starting to look, but luckily I don't have to rush it. It's like these current values are almost fake. I just got my house refinanced. The appraisal came back at 325k, when I damn well know it's worth about 250k at the most. My friend just got almost 120k more for their place about two months ago. They were asking 350k. Great time to sell, terrible time to buy or build anything.
did you’re home owners insurance go up do the cost of replacing the home for that inflated rate?

I've got a 2010 Ford Escape Limited with about 20,000 miles, I bought it brand new. It has stayed in my garage, I just haven't driven it much. I mainly bought it for snow, I live in a neighborhood that has a lot of hills and curves, it can be rough driving out of the development when we have a lot of snow.
Anyway, I wonder what I could get for my Escape? Again, it's in showroom condition.

did you’re home owners insurance go up do the cost of replacing the home for that inflated rate?
No my home owners insurance coverage was over 300 before I did the refinance. I just got the place in my name last May. That appraisal was 300k. My insurance is rather cheap for what it covers. Plus I only have a $1,000 deductible even on named storms.

Sometimes, it may be more convenient to buy a used car. Most people say that finding a good car is not that easy, but they just don't know how to search for it. It is not correct to search for the vehicle inside your state only.
I found the car I was looking for in Colorado while I live in California. It wasn't a problem since I hired a car shipping company, and they helped me transport my car to California. In fact, they brought it in front of my house.
By the way, if you want to know what car shipping company I've hired, check out their site: https://guardianautotransport.com/.

Last edited:
If you are interested, I will sell you a truck and a boat together. Boat is of no use to me if I do not have a truck to pull it.

I bought a used f150, 13’ with 117k. Great shape lariat for 19.5k. Turbo engine for towing our camper. I feel good about it. I thought the pricing was reasonable.

but most of what I saw on the market was 175-225k miles asking 20+ k. Or $18k with 80k miles and and a salvage title (which I wouldn’t buy under any circumstance.
I’ll be honest that I don’t know if my price was inflated from 2-3 years ago or not as I was searching but I’ve known for years trucks are high because new ones keep getting more expensive.

My wife and I just sold two of our vehicles in less than one week. Probably underpriced them a little but we got what we wanted for them without having to wait or haggle. We sold them to two individuals. Maybe we should have tried Carvana though.

Inflation is everywhere now and everywhere you look, it's 50-100% markup.

There are 37% more dollars in circulation today than there was only 18 months ago.

Let that sink in.

I'm guessing that even though used cars are at an all time high, dealers know it's gonna crash at some point so they're very cautious about how much they'll put in a trade in.
They are very cautious because most people are too lazy to sell their own vehicles and they know it. The used car side of a dealership is the money maker. Service department is next. They can make 100.% on trade ins without breaking a sweat and that’s conservative. “Certified blah,blah, blah” Lol Easy money!!

Reactions: importcock
My mother has stopped driving her 1997 Lincoln Towncar Executive Series. The blender door actuator (directs airflow for heating and cooling) is broken. Cheap part, but you have to remove the dash to fix it. The car runs good, and doesn't leak oil, but it's got some cosmetic problems. The headliner was falling, so my teenage son ripped it out. We did put in new headlights and a new Pioneer stereo (thinking my son would keep it, but he's gone away to college). I'd take $1,500 for it if anyone is interested. I haven't listed it yet, but I was told I should be able to get at least $1,500. If you're interested, message me.

Reactions: TAV31
ADVERTISEMENT