ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone here remember Duff's?

DibbleDee

Nov 16, 2020
It was a buffet restaurant, I think near Ft. Jackson. The buffet was circular and would rotate around. Part of it would rotate into the kitchen, where it could be refilled as it rotated around.

Went there with my parents once when I was a kid in the early 80s. Just have a vague memory of it, but it seemed spectacular to me at the time. There's a couple Duff's buffet restaurants down in Florida...not sure if it was a chain or a local thing or what in Columbia.

Hmm. I went back then. I was a hungry college student. Quantity over quality. I remember wondering how the cakes and other sweets could always be old. It seemed like at some point they must be fresh. Never happened.

There was one down here in North Charleston off Aviation Ave. You could hurt yourself at that place.
Yup....where the big boys ate.
logo3-76e88d69.png

And I thought I was going to have to explain dating a DUFF in college when opening this thread. Glad to see it’s a restaurant thread :)

• Haha
Reactions: Brace1

Used to eat at the one in Greenwood all the time when I was little, it was right next to the Apollo Theater if I recall correctly. Loved that place. They had a chair painted red white and blue that I believe George HW Busch sat it once.

I am wondering how many of these there were. My first visit to a buffet was in 1969. I was 12 and was blown away with the fact that I could eat all I wanted! And then have ice cream. It was Duff's Buffet. In Miamisburg , Ohio.

Anyone ever been in the B&D Bar and Grill? It was in Olympia. Became the Grow Cafe. Has a picture of the Hulk painted on the wall.

Came here expecting Homer Simpson’s favorite beer.
If you go to Universal Studios Orlando and go into the Simpson's part of the park you can have Duff or Duff Light. I had a Duff. Nothing special, but it tasted better than Bud Light.

Anyone ever been in the B&D Bar and Grill? It was in Olympia. Became the Grow Cafe. Has a picture of the Hulk painted on the wall.

GROW Cafe. Grass Roots Organization of Workers

Brett Bursey had the cafe and operated Harbinger Publishing out of it.

Went into his office and I kid you not he had pictures of Kaddaffi, Mao and Castro hanging above his desk.Along with his grandfather’s Confederate battle flag. True story

Used to hit Duffs off Broad River Rd. on the way to Striders for 10 cent draft beer.

It was a slop trough though. When you were 18 broke and hungry it made for a decent meal.

The Swedish meatballs and whatever cobbler they had were passable fare.

Duff's opened a location in Sumter, but it didn't last long. One time I noticed a big bowl of potato salad was actually breathing....at least the contents were swelling and shrinking....respiration! I passed on Duff's after that

There was one in Pigeon Forge Tn before virtually anything else. Pigeon Forge was literally a country road with Duffs and maybe a few little stores. That was in 1982. About 3-4 years later it had exploded. I remember someone telling me it looked like Myrtle Beach. I didn't believe it until I saw it a year or so later. But Duffs was cool. At the time they Called it Duff's Smorgasbord.

There was one in Pigeon Forge Tn before virtually anything else. Pigeon Forge was literally a country road with Duffs and maybe a few little stores. That was in 1982. About 3-4 years later it had exploded. I remember someone telling me it looked like Myrtle Beach. I didn't believe it until I saw it a year or so later. But Duffs was cool. At the time they Called it Duff's Smorgasbord.

Every time I drive in the mountains of NC and TN I wonder who the heck used to go up there to visit those old motels.

I do not, but buffet's draw the worst friggin crowd. Nothing like having dinner with and eating out of the same trough as some 350 lb slob with a front butt wearing a gray sweat suit.

I remember Quincy's, Ryan's, and western sizzler steakhouses being great back in the day, especially for the price. Then they went "hot bar" and then the ultimate death knell... The full buffet. Freaking shame.

my room mate and I would go to the one in cayce, I always laughed because he got "one calorie" tab at the all you can eat buffet

Reactions: Dizzy01
I’ve eaten at that one many times.

ADVERTISEMENT