ADVERTISEMENT

OT- BBQ places between Columbia and Myrtle Beach

titaniumspur

Sep 16, 2006
I am planning on going to Myrtle Beach for vacation. Will be driving through Columbia and Florence. I got the BBQ Trail map at a rest stop a while back. What a nice promotion for our state, but wow, what a lot of options. We could end up stopping along the way, or in Myrtle Beach, or both. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Big DS bar bq has a location in Conway on 501 right before the red light as you come into Conway from Aynor by the walmart. Pretty good q and great hash

When I get that close to home, I drive the extra bit of time & hop on over to Scott's in Hemmingway, but that's a little far if you're taking I20 from Columbia instead of 378.

Scott's is the place I see the most highly recommended. Don't waste your time going to Schoolhouse unless you like gristle and slimy fat.

Scott's in Hemingway and Brown's in Kingstree. I really don't care for the bbq in Florence. I agree with what the other poster said about the Schoolhouse in Scranton. Don't waste your time or money there.

Go down through Manning and get BBQ at either McCabe's or D&H. McCabe's for the pure BBQ and or D&H for Fried Chicken and BBQ.

Drive down I-26 & I-95 North & Hwy-521 East to come up from Georgetown and the southend of Myrtle Beach. This way you can stop by "LoneStar BBQ & Mercantile" just outside of Santee, SC

See LINK below...

This post was edited on 4/16 11:52 AM by UpstateGC

LoneStar BBQ

BIG Ds in between johnsonville and Hemingway is a great place to eat with all the trimmings. Scotts is just GREAT BBQ in Hemingway

While Scotts is my favorite their lack of sides is a turn off. All you get is Q and two slices of bread.

I like Roger's in Florence because of the variety. Their buffet includes veggies, cobblers and liver hash with red gravy.

The latter is unique and something you can't get in the Midlands or Piedmont.

Why not stop in at the Palmetto Pig here in Columbia. While you are there, order up a couple of pounds for the beach. We take about four of five pounds for the week and somehow, it all gets eaten. By the way, they have the best fried chicken in the state.

Thanks for the help everybody. This is bringing back memories of when I was a student and would see Joe Morrison at the Little Pit Barbecue Hut on Rosewood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT