ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Midlands Golf Course for Beginners?

uscg1984

Mar 9, 2006
SW Montana
We're making a trip to SC in June and bringing our golf clubs with us. My 14 year old son has recently taken up golf and will have played a grand total of about three full rounds of golf by then (the golf season starts late here in Montana). We'll play a couple of rounds on my old home courses in the Upstate, but we'll spend a day or two in Columbia, so I'd appreciate any suggestions about Midlands courses. I'm not simply looking for the "nicest" course, but one that is a good balance between quality and playability for a beginner.

We're making a trip to SC in June and bringing our golf clubs with us. My 14 year old son has recently taken up golf and will have played a grand total of about three full rounds of golf by then (the golf season starts late here in Montana). We'll play a couple of rounds on my old home courses in the Upstate, but we'll spend a day or two in Columbia, so I'd appreciate any suggestions about Midlands courses. I'm not simply looking for the "nicest" course, but one that is a good balance between quality and playability for a beginner.
Mid Carolina In Prosperity

Mid Carolina In Prosperity
Are you kidding me? Starters the course isn’t overly easy and secondly several members there are as rude as possible to people they don’t know. Not all but I have crossed paths with several and it has been following my daughter around in a scjga tournament. They fussed about the kids being in their way. DO NOT go there as a beginner

Reactions: Bazurke
LinROCK.... if I could get all my golf balls back at the 16th, I would never need to buy new ones.😩 Good choice tho.
Haha. That’s what my Dad has always called it. He had some friends that loved playing out there and he would always take his old clubs when they played there.

Reactions: GCDC1959
What are your home courses in the upstate?

I play there. Nice people despite what someone else said. But it is getting a ton of play right now. They just froze the membership level. I would suggest Charwood or Linrick. Maybe Northwoods if he plays the forward tees.
Only downside with Northwoods is that it can be pretty narrow. We’ve had balls crossing fairways almost every time we’ve played.

What are your home courses in the upstate?
I may have used the word "home" a bit loosely. Growing up in Anderson, my true "home" course was the Anderson Country club but it is no more. I've also played my share of rounds at Cobb's Glen, Pine Lake, and Brookstone Meadows, but having moved away over a decade ago, I cant claim to feel "at home" on any of them any more.

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. It sounds like Charwood may be what I'm looking for if we get down to Columbia.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Fort Jackson courses? It's been over 20 years since I've played either one, but I remember them being very well kept, but for the life of me, I can't recall their playability. I'm pretty sure I can get access.

I may have used the word "home" a bit loosely. Growing up in Anderson, my true "home" course was the Anderson Country club but it is no more. I've also played my share of rounds at Cobb's Glen, Pine Lake, and Brookstone Meadows, but having moved away over a decade ago, I cant claim to feel "at home" on any of them any more.

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. It sounds like Charwood may be what I'm looking for if we get down to Columbia.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Fort Jackson courses? It's been over 20 years since I've played either one, but I remember them being very well kept, but for the life of me, I can't recall their playability. I'm pretty sure I can get access.
Aside from Brookstone Meadows, I’ve played the other courses you mentioned. Also played Boscobel once and Starrwood once. I used to have a membership at Saluda Valley.

I was saddened to learn about the closing of Anderson Country Club. I followed my grandson around that place for two rounds of the SCGA Junior State Championship tournament that was held there several years ago. They had some time before converted their greens to one of the new hybrid bermudagrasses and they looked good. They also were small. But it was a good old course and the guys running it were very nice. Breaks my heart to see a course close, especially one that had been important to the golfing community for many years.

Shoot over to Cheraw Stste park. Inexpensive and great views
Very good course. Flawless greens and great property. I suspect that, if they were building it today, it would have far fewer bunkers, and rightly so. The architect was a beach guy and his design reflects what was being built down there years ago: not only a lot of bunkers but big bunkers, some of them very deep. I'm sure they are a maintenance nightmare.

Anybody know if charwood has repaired the green that got vandalized here about a month ago?

Never has closed as I recall. They are a muni so they are well funded.
I believe they were once a privately owned course that fell into bad financial straits. Becoming the property of a county park system saved them, as I recall. What I could not recall was whether or not there was an interregnum during which they were closed. I thank you for clearing that up.

I believe they were once a privately owned course that fell into bad financial straits. Becoming the property of a county park system saved them, as I recall. What I could not recall was whether or not there was an interregnum during which they were closed. I thank you for clearing that up.

Ha ha! Man, you are going way back. I do remember that riding stables were part of the facility. They got closed down for the horses being neglected.

Reactions: king ward
Anybody know if charwood has repaired the green that got vandalized here about a month ago?
When I played it last, that green was crap anyway. They’d have the pin in the center and some places were impossible to get the ball to stop. You would put up to it be an inch from the hole and would just roll back to you off the green. The distances from the fairway didn’t even line up with the one that got vandalized, but to the other green behind it. Have yet to figure out Columbia golf. Every other area of the state can have top notch golf courses, but the midlands overall leaves A LOT to be desired, especially close to the airport

When I played it last, that green was crap anyway. They’d have the pin in the center and some places were impossible to get the ball to stop. You would put up to it be an inch from the hole and would just roll back to you off the green. The distances from the fairway didn’t even line up with the one that got vandalized, but to the other green behind it. Have yet to figure out Columbia golf. Every other area of the state can have top notch golf courses, but the midlands overall leaves A LOT to be desired, especially close to the airport
The way you described the hole,that sounds like that uphill par 3 with a 2 tier green.the 3rd or 4 th hole.

The good ones in Columbia are private, unfortunately. Columbia CC, Woodcreek Farms, Forest Lake, maybe Spring Valley. I think it's why Mid Carolina has gotten so popular. If you want a variety in the Midlands, you need to go to Santee, Aiken, etc. My group will wander out to Star Fort or even up to Woodfin Ridge near Chesnee.

Some of the ones we used to play regularly are not in good shape, like Oak Hill,, Persimmon Hill, Indian River and Timberlake. Anyone used to play Cooper's Creek? Loved that track.

The good ones in Columbia are private, unfortunately. Columbia CC, Woodcreek Farms, Forest Lake, maybe Spring Valley. I think it's why Mid Carolina has gotten so popular. If you want a variety in the Midlands, you need to go to Santee, Aiken, etc. My group will wander out to Star Fort or even up to Woodfin Ridge near Chesnee.

Some of the ones we used to play regularly are not in good shape, like Oak Hill,, Persimmon Hill, Indian River and Timberlake. Anyone used to play Cooper's Creek? Loved that track.
Cooper's Creek turned into a hunting preserve. I would've love to seen a good person take that over. It was out there all by itself in scenic Fairview.

Coopers all ways gave me fits for some reason.I got a good lesson from their fiberglass rakes they had,that stuff got in my hand and it took like a week for it to quit messing with me.I see you didn’t mention Indian trail in Batesburg.not the best by a long shot but it’s ok.bring lots of balls if u like running the ball on the ground.I like pine ridge also.

Been to Coopers Creek a few times. Loved tgat course

King, you might be thinking of Crickentree, it closed for good!
I remember Crickentree. Although I never played there, people from the Lancaster area used to go down there and play. It is certainly possible I confused the situations. I do remember hearing about some hard times at LinRick, as it is spelled. Since the Recession of 2008, so many have closed or gone through great travail that I could easily get a couple of them confused. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Are you kidding me? Starters the course isn’t overly easy and secondly several members there are as rude as possible to people they don’t know. Not all but I have crossed paths with several and it has been following my daughter around in a scjga tournament. They fussed about the kids being in their way. DO NOT go there as a beginner
Yeah, I wouldn't play there as a beginner unless I was playing with regulars.

Coopers all ways gave me fits for some reason.I got a good lesson from their fiberglass rakes they had,that stuff got in my hand and it took like a week for it to quit messing with me.I see you didn’t mention Indian trail in Batesburg.not the best by a long shot but it’s ok.bring lots of balls if u like running the ball on the ground.I like pine ridge also.

Last time I played Indian Trail was about two years ago. Vowed to never go back as it was in such poor shape. Guess I blocked it out of my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT