ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Pellets for Smoking

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
What are the best pellets to get the strongest smoke flavor on your meats? I’ve been using Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix and also use the smoke tube with it which has been fine. But open to trying a new brand just for “research”. I prefer the fruit woods but open to whatever.

And que the stick smoker and Big Green Egg guys...Hey, I love those too! Pellet just easier for me this stage of life so cut me some slack ;)

Reactions: anon_n4c0cp5zhdxn7
What are the best pellets to get the strongest smoke flavor on your meats? I’ve been using Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix and also use the smoke tube with it which has been fine. But open to trying a new brand just for “research”. I prefer the fruit woods but open to whatever.

And que the stick smoker and Big Green Egg guys...Hey, I love those too! Pellet just easier for me this stage of life so cut me some slack ;)
when I bought my rec tec, the package came with rec tec pellets and that's all I've used with it. On the last bag now(the pallet lasted me 2 years) so I'm open to suggestions also.

when I bought my rec tec, the package came with rec tec pellets and that's all I've used with it. On the last bag now(the pallet lasted me 2 years) so I'm open to suggestions also.

It’s hard to know without trying. That’s the hard part, right? Even though I’m looking to try some others, I would recommend the ones I currently use. I haven’t been disappointed, just curious as to what else is out there.

I buy these on Amazon: Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix

I had considered trying the RecTec brand. Are you happy with the smoke flavor?

I like BBQ Delights pellets. Supposedly the pellets at Academy are made by the same folks. I’m confident the rec Tec folks sell good basic pellets. I would suggest avoiding the Traeger pellets. It is widely suspected that they use flavorings rather than specific woods. Also remember that 80% of the wood is oak or another basic wood like alder.

Pellets over the real wood chips/chunks?
smaller chips = more flavor & more volume/surface area. larger Chunks are better for longer timed projects.

It’s hard to know without trying. That’s the hard part, right? Even though I’m looking to try some others, I would recommend the ones I currently use. I haven’t been disappointed, just curious as to what else is out there.

I buy these on Amazon: Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix

I had considered trying the RecTec brand. Are you happy with the smoke flavor?

Damn, $37/40 lbs seems steep. I've been buying LumberJack from Dick's whenever they're running a sale. Can usually get them 20% off for $24/40 lbs.

From what I understand, RecTec pellets are actually made by CookinPellets. You can pic them up at their Augusta store for $20/40 lbs, or less if you make a big purchase. I think that is an Oak/Hickory blend.

With that said, the brand may be less important then the type of wood you use. I've been mixing 1/2 Hickory (stronger) with 1/2 apple/cherry blend (milder). Balances out well.

If you're looking for a strong smoked flavor, try 100% Mesquite (probably strongest) or 100% Hickory.

Reactions: Carolina4
Damn, $37/40 lbs seems steep. I've been buying LumberJack from Dick's whenever they're running a sale. Can usually get them 20% off for $24/40 lbs.

From what I understand, RecTec pellets are actually made by CookinPellets. You can pic them up at their Augusta store for $20/40 lbs, or less if you make a big purchase. I think that is an Oak/Hickory blend.

With that said, the brand may be less important then the type of wood you use. I've been mixing 1/2 Hickory (stronger) with 1/2 apple/cherry blend (milder). Balances out well.

If you're looking for a strong smoked flavor, try 100% Mesquite (probably strongest) or 100% Hickory.

I’ll look out for that sale. Thanks for the info.

Ignorant of BBQ techniques but if you do a rub or a sauce (and some people do neither), won’t the rub or sauce overpower the smoke from the flavored pellets (but the smoke makes it a BBQ)?

FYI, I like both mustard-based and vinegar-based BBQ.

Ignorant of BBQ techniques but if you do a rub or a sauce (and some people do neither), won’t the rub or sauce overpower the smoke from the flavored pellets (but the smoke makes it a BBQ)?

I like smoke that doesn't overpower the meat. What's wrong with wood chips?

Good question. All the flavors work together.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-MAZE-N-1...Oval-Design-100-Stainless-Steel-/264026984148

I use this in addition to my pellet smoker to get more smoke

Yep that’s the smoke tube I use. I believe you mentioned that in a post a while back so I ordered it. Honestly I find the majority of the smoke I get comes from it.

What are you using to light the pellets? I have used a small kitchen butane blow torch but it has already stopped working. Just ordered a new one. Can’t mess around much lighting those things as they have to be lit well.

I use pellets in my masterbuilt smoker that was designed for chips..
Pellets seem to go a little further than chips..
I enjoy pecan for my pork..

If I had my preference I’d go with a pecan and some fruit wood mix if I were using a stick burner. But with the pellet, just trying to experiment with what amount of smoke I like best so seeing if I can find something with more smoke. Definitely wouldn’t want to go less at this point. Everything has been awesome on the pellet smoker so far. Probably shouldn’t experiment but I’ve already learned that’s what smokin’ is all about.

Yep that’s the smoke tube I use. I believe you mentioned that in a post a while back so I ordered it. Honestly I find the majority of the smoke I get comes from it.

What are you using to light the pellets? I have used a small kitchen butane blow torch but it has already stopped working. Just ordered a new one. Can’t mess around much lighting those things as they have to be lit well.

Propane torch to get it going. I always used wood before I bought the pellet grill. Pellet grill has good smoke for ribs but for butts I have to use the smoke tube too

Propane torch to get it going. I always used wood before I bought the pellet grill. Pellet grill has good smoke for ribs but for butts I have to use the smoke tube too

Ive been doing a lot chicken wings lately. Made up a good rub and they’ve been coming out perfect. They are so easy to do.

Cook ribs about every other week. I used to wrap but haven’t had to on the pellet smoker because it finishes them well and the meat can use the extra smoke. Haven’t come out dry yet.

I use pellets in my masterbuilt smoker that was designed for chips..
Pellets seem to go a little further than chips..
I enjoy pecan for my pork..

I'm sure there are plenty of other uses of wood pellets but the OP was asking about pellets for a pellet grill. I also used to use pellets on my charcoal grill, before I bought a pellet grill, wrapped in aluminum foil with bunch of holes. Burned for hours. I've never tried pecan.

Saw title on this thread and first thought was people are smoking pellets now? What's a pellet?

You roll them to get high. Nah, wood pellets are used as the source of heat rather than gas or charcoal.

Hah. I was being a dipstick.

I like wood chips for that. Never tried pellets. I tell you though, you learn some ---- on this board.

It's great. I could ask "what's the best way to wipe my rear end" and probably get 30 different answers. Sideways, circular, up and down, left to right, S-pattern, with Clemson fan gear ---

Sorry. I'll go home now.

Hah. I was being a dipstick.

I like wood chips for that. Never tried pellets. I tell you though, you learn some ---- on this board.

It's great. I could ask "what's the best way to wipe my rear end" and probably get 30 different answers. Sideways, circular, up and down, left to right, S-pattern, with Clemson fan gear ---

Sorry. I'll go home now.

Personally I ball a bunch of TP up and live dangerously. That folding method seems to fancy.

I'm sure there are plenty of other uses of wood pellets but the OP was asking about pellets for a pellet grill. I also used to use pellets on my charcoal grill, before I bought a pellet grill, wrapped in aluminum foil with bunch of holes. Burned for hours. I've never tried pecan.

Pecan is very mild.. I used hickory and cherry before pecan won my heart..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT