ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best way to follow up with a job application

• Thread starter anon_6poml7ajgpoqm
  • Start date
A

anon_6poml7ajgpoqm

Since the days of just walking into a place of business and handing someone a resume are long gone, what is the best way to follow up with an application? I know you can email but most HR departments will follow up with a generic email about not emailing them back. Unless you know someone, the chances of you getting an interview with a company are slim to none. Any suggestions?

I have seen people in FGF ask a OT question in here if anyone has experience working for a certain company, if they like it or the company is hiring?

Can be for them, child, friend.

When someone asked about the company I work for, I confirmed we were hiring that. Sent the contact for our HR and their email in the private chat.

You could also post a question your trying to get into a industry X and do Y, any suggestions?

I hold a degree in Organizational Leadership. I would love an opportunity in HR. I know that’s a small field to get into, but it’s what I’ve always wanted to do.

Since the days of just walking into a place of business and handing someone a resume are long gone, what is the best way to follow up with an application? I know you can email but most HR departments will follow up with a generic email about not emailing them back. Unless you know someone, the chances of you getting an interview with a company are slim to none. Any suggestions?

Man, it's tough these days. When my wife and I relocated to this area (DMV area) back in 2014, I had a devil of a time job hunting. I have an earned doctorate, but those are a dime a dozen around here, so that didn't help me much. And, in reference to your OP, EVERYTHING is electronic. Most places didn't even provide an email or phone number for you to call. You just applied through their online system and just hoped it actually made it through somewhere. Sometimes I'd get an automatic reply at least confirming my application was received. Sometimes not. Some places SPECIFICALLY instructed you not to email or call. So many places now just use programs to scan resumes for key words or phrases. Applicants may also be sorted based on responses to questions in the electronic application.

For federal jobs, listings are posted on USAJOBS. Each application runs you through a list of questions about qualifications/competencies, with responses from A - E, with A being "not qualified at all" and E being "expert." If you even want your application to simply make it past the initial screening stage, where unqualified applicants are screened out electronically, you have to answer "E" to EVERY question. Because that's everyone else is doing. I made the mistake of answering my questions honestly, either saying I had some experience with certain techniques or was proficient. But you have to say you're expert, otherwise, all the other people who are saying they're expert will have their resumes advanced. Even if your application advances, it stands a slim shot of actually being viewed by a human being b/c resumes are scanned electronically. The trick here, which I also didn't know, is that you need to word your resume using EXACTLY the wording in the job listing. For you qualifications, you use the exact same words as the job duties described. It's all nuts.

So, all this to say, I experienced the same issues as you and, at least around here, there was really nothing to do about it. If I could have gotten through to anyone, I would have received, at most, a courtesy response. If there was an HR email address, there was usually a specific instruction not to email about job postings or applications. If you did email HR, you'd have gotten a form reply from some random HR person. The vast majority of places hiring professionals don't even allow you the opportunity to get in front of someone and make a good impression unless you get through all the electronic stuff.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Handwritten thank you letter thanking them for the opportunity to interview.

I always do it. I have not changed jobs often but it is kind of funny that I either had the job or didn’t by the time those thank you cards got out. And I mailed them immediately after leaving the interview.

I appreciate the feedback. I’m currently in a position where I’m doing something that isn’t even close to what my degree is in. I’ve been here for almost 3 years. I’ve been actively applying and searching and it has been extremely frustrating to not get any calls for phone interviews and etc.

I appreciate the feedback. I’m currently in a position where I’m doing something that isn’t even close to what my degree is in. I’ve been here for almost 3 years. I’ve been actively applying and searching and it has been extremely frustrating to not get any calls for phone interviews and etc.

I feel your pain, bro. Really, I do. I can't tell you how many applications I sent out and I got NOTHING back. Not even courtesy responses to decline. I wish there was an answer, but the absolute best I can tell you is what ended up working out for me...it's not what you know, it's who you know.

For me, my brother had a friend whose sister was in the federal government. She looked over my resume to give me tips on formatting it for USAJOBS. She was not in any kind of division that I would have been qualified to work it, but she passed my resume off to someone else who passed it off someone else, etc. I eventually got a call several months later from some lady who said she had received my resume but she told me she doesn't how it landed on her desk.

Reactions: anon_6poml7ajgpoqm
I hold a degree in Organizational Leadership. I would love an opportunity in HR. I know that’s a small field to get into, but it’s what I’ve always wanted to do.
It is a field that needs to be in high demand. Organizational transformation is severely lacking today. Change is major and those who are in the trenches are struggling to understand and keep up. No one is solving the problems that come about due to change. Poor planning and communication is the norm.

The who you know, not what you know is the standard sadly. I’ve sent my resume to numerous people who say my resume is really good but nothing ever seems to break for me. Looking for a job is difficult these days.

I interviewed for a job recently I was intrigued by, and they moved fast through 2 interviews, and since I knew that they are still working from home, I figured an email was the only option. Normally, I’m definitely sending a handwritten note to the attention of that person (if they even get it). Like many things these days, you can bet the farm the new crowd has hardly anything to do with sending (or responding to) a nice thank you. You are definitely more likely to be “ghosted” if anything. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT