ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Birthday celebration ideas for my wife in Feb...

Rhizzlebop

Sep 30, 2009
So, my wife is tracking close behind me, and I just turned 40. Looking for ideas for a fun birthday celebration. We aren't party people, or drinkers, and we have 2 small kids so can't go very far. In fact, I just started a new business doing HVAC design work for residential new construction so we are holding expenses in check right now. (If anyone knows an HVAC contractor anywhere around within a few states who could use my services I'd love to hear from you).

For my 40th, we did a nice dinner and went and did the Axe Throwing in downtown Cola with friends. That was a lot of fun. Looking for ideas for my wife of equal or greater magnitude of unique and fun.

We aren't taking any New York City getaways right now until we get this business off the ground so that will have to wait till next year.

Thought some of you guys might have some fun ideas.

Reactions: tigertomreed
Day trip to the nearest Top Golf. Myrtle Beach would be my preference. Even if yall ain't golfers, it's a huge amount of fun. You a can hit Broadway at the Beach next doorwhile you're there, Dave and Busters perhaps.

Last edited:
Day trip to the nearest Top Golf. Myrtle Beach would be my preference. Even if yall ain't golfers, it's a huge amount of fun. You a can hit Broadway at the Beach next doorwhile you're there, Dave and Busters perhaps.
As a golfer, I think Top Golf sucks. And it’s even worse if you have to drive. If you aren’t a golfer, the I guess it’s fun but be prepared to spend a lot of money...

So, my wife is tracking close behind me, and I just turned 40. Looking for ideas for a fun birthday celebration. We aren't party people, or drinkers, and we have 2 small kids so can't go very far. In fact, I just started a new business doing HVAC design work for residential new construction so we are holding expenses in check right now. (If anyone knows an HVAC contractor anywhere around within a few states who could use my services I'd love to hear from you).

For my 40th, we did a nice dinner and went and did the Axe Throwing in downtown Cola with friends. That was a lot of fun. Looking for ideas for my wife of equal or greater magnitude of unique and fun.

We aren't taking any New York City getaways right now until we get this business off the ground so that will have to wait till next year.

Where are you located

Assuming you are in or near Columbia... Maybe rent a plane and pilot at Owens Field to fly you and your wife over the Capital City and perhaps over your house, followed by by a nice meal at Hendrix or Hall's Chophouse. If you want extra credit, stay overnight downtown, (Sheraton on Main is nice), and have a night cap at Lula Drake, followed by a fun morning at Soda City Market.

Last edited:
See if you can find a treehouse in your area. My wife and I stayed in a treehouse in Monroe NC that was connected to a vineyard. Very neat experience.

If it were me, I'd do dinner, bowling and drinking at the Grand and maybe an Indie movie at the Nickelodeon.

As a golfer, I think Top Golf sucks. And it’s even worse if you have to drive. If you aren’t a golfer, the I guess it’s fun but be prepared to spend a lot of money...
I can see your point. As a golfer myself, I'd rather be on the course. That said its his wife's birthday and he has kids. And he just enjoyed an axe throwing outing. Comparable to top golf wouldnt you say? I mean I dont have a lot to go on here with their likes. Personally, my wife is not a golfer, nor are my kids or my grandkids. But they do have a good time there. Even my three year old granddaughter couldn't get enough of it. And if they are having a good time, I am having a good time. And as I mentioned, if it doesn't work out, there is other things to do in the area.

Last edited:
A weekend in Charleston...if you have family that can keep the children. Maybe a spa appointment.

This must include a Windjammer visit and beach walk on the isle of palms (right out the back door of windjammer). It's kid friendly until sun down, then its more big kid friendly.

Buy her a birthstone ring and take her to a nice romantic restaurant. Give the waiter the ring and have him drop it into her champagne glass before he serves her. This also works great for engagements and anniversaries. It reaps great benefits later.

As per your HVAC design job, most residential contractors have in the past used the old rule of thumb and not use duct design or any of equipment or manual j implecations. They use Mr. Low paid duct man to design and seal the system. They're are a few good ones, so good luck in finding them.

If it were me, I'd do dinner, bowling and drinking at the Grand and maybe an Indie movie at the Nickelodeon.

When you sat an Indie movie at the Nickelodeon what do you mean? I know what an Indie movie is but is the Nickelodeon a movie theater. We aren't quite that uptown in Marion and I doubt even Asheville.

As per your HVAC design job, most residential contractors have in the past used the old rule of thumb and not use duct design or any of equipment or manual j implecations. They use Mr. Low paid duct man to design and seal the system. They're are a few good ones, so good luck in finding them.

Yes I’m aware of the majority. If the contractor does new construction then the manual j is not optional. The duct design is but if you factor in a guy coming up with a duct mess and a half assed takeoff list vs a true design and bill of material it is cost effective. I’m prepared to extend my reach to thousands of contractors but I really need 2-3 good ones doing new construction on the regular and yield more than I can handle.

Assuming you are in or near Columbia... Maybe rent a plane and pilot at Owens Field to fly you and your wife over the Capital City and perhaps over your house, followed by by a nice meal at Hendrix or Hall's Chophouse. If you want extra credit, stay overnight downtown, (Sheraton on Main is nice), and have a night cap at Lula Drake, followed by a fun morning at Soda City Market.

Really neat idea if funds were a plenty. I appreciate the idea. I’ll note for future but I’m guessing you missed the part about funds being reserved as my only income currently is the beginnings of this business.

Really neat idea if funds were a plenty. I appreciate the idea. I’ll note for future but I’m guessing you missed the part about funds being reserved as my only income currently is the beginnings of this business.

Didn't miss that part, but there will be other birthdays. Best of luck with your business and your wife's 40th. Good man to put a plan in place.

Spa weekend a Grove Park Inn. If you want extra credit take the kids - it will payoff big time down the road, trust me.

Spa weekend a Grove Park Inn. If you want extra credit take the kids - it will payoff big time down the road, trust me.

Just got back from Grove Park. Amazing. Don't worry about the spa if you're on a budget. It's cool, but there are better things to do with $400 - 500. The rooms are only $250 with fees right now oer night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT