ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bourbon help

Cockadieu

Sep 24, 2015
One of my favorite weeknight bourbons has gone MIA in the Lowcountry: W.L. Weller 12 year & OWA. Have any FGF'ers run across a bottle of Weller brand at their local liquor store? I haven't seen it for sale in over a year, and was told distributors are having a hard time receiving allocations from Buffalo Trace (at least in SC).

One of my favorite weeknight bourbons has gone MIA in the Lowcountry: W.L. Weller 12 year & OWA. Have any FGF'ers run across a bottle of Weller brand at their local liquor store? I haven't seen it for sale in over a year, and was told distributors are having a hard time receiving allocations from Buffalo Trace (at least in SC).
I haven't. However I don't let myself check out anything above eye level on the shelves of my local man store, so I might have missed it.

If Weller 12 year just went MIA your lucky cause it's been MIA for what seems like 2-3 yrs in the upstate. oWA can be found but the Weller 12 has been missing since the barrels went missing a few years ago.

This can bring a tear to a mans eye. One gentleman in need of his favorite whiskey and so many good people coming to his aid. One offers viable substitutes as options until he can obtain his. Then vacock posts a link to where he can make a purchase right away. This make me proud to be a gamecock.

Actually that link is to a waiting list. #nobueno

But seriously, how can a second from bottom shelf, $25 bourbon be so hard to find?

Reactions: Bclc829
I don't know bourbon or scotch. What do you recommend?

Start slow and enjoy yourself? :)

There's a huge difference in whiskys. But if you hate brown liquor it all tastes like garbage. Here's a brief rundown. Personally, I tell people to run from Islay scotch, but some people love it. I would say start with Maker's Mark, or Jack Daniels.

What do you normally enjoy drinking?

Check out Town Branch. Around $27 for 750ml and I'd put it up there with Woodford, Makers, and any of the $40-$50 bottles.

Liquor distributors are like the mafia, or worse. They will say F you when you really want something they don't usually carry and they get mad if you get it without them. Here's to them getting herpes and being forced to watch an endless loop of Low Winter Sun.

Reactions: Proudcock
I'll definitely give that Evan Williams SB and Town Branch a taste! Thanks!

Let's keep this thread going with recommendations under $30-35 (or whatever you feel is a great value for the price). Feel free to add any tasting notes.

Last edited:
Reactions: gfluvsthecocks
I found basic Buffalo Trace here in Aiken and was amazed considering the price. Link for online purchase.
Bookers is a favorite but wow it's high test. I still like 1783 Evan, but probably because its what I drank in my 20's. I never have liked Jack but probably need to give it another try.

Second the Buffalo Trace. Four Roses small batch and Bulleit are good choices at a similar price. All are hard to beat for the money. Angel's Envy, George T. Stagg Jr., Willet, Four Roses single barrel and Jefferson's Reserve cost a little more, but worth a try. My current favorite is Blanton's. Around $60/750 ml in the upstate.

Last edited:
Guys, I've tried pretty much all of the above mentioned, but as of late my go to brands are Bird Dog and Jefferson Creek, both are middle of the road $30 a handle and the selling point for me is I can have more than a few drinks and not wake up with a hangover, quite a few brown liquors just don't sit well with my head, but these do!

Second the Buffalo Trace. Four Roses small batch and Bulleit are good choices at a similar price. All are hard to beat for the money. Angel's Envy, George T. Stagg Jr., Willet, Four Roses single barrel and Jefferson's Reserve cost a little more, but worth a try. My current favorite is Blanton's. Around $60/750 ml in the upstate.

Totally agree. The Buffalo Trace is good and a good value. For a special occasion, really like the Four Roses single barrel. We need to organize a bourbon tasting tailgate!

Reactions: RickPruitt
Agree...another good reasonably priced every day type bourbon is Larceny. I believe it is produced at the Buffalo Trace distillery.

Can't help you. I am a Makers Mark and Wild Turkey man. When I cannot find Pappy Van Winkle.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I have to ask, is everyone is drinking their preferred bourbon strait on the rocks? I mix mine with a little GA... Evans Williams works just fine for me.

Reactions: Bclc829
I like a wheated bourbon straight up or neat, and a rye bourbon with a chip of ice. IMO 80 proof bourbons don't need anything (if you're sipping it) since they are pretty smooth and lower ABV.

One bourbon that I wish I had bought more of was Elijah Craig 16. A few years back the liquor stores discounted their pricing ($40) as they were being discontinued for the EC 20. I like the EC 12 but the 16 knocked it's socks off! And I'm not paying $120 for the 20 year old.

I've been meaning to buy a bottle of Buffalo Trace....heck I need to tour their distillery! I've gone through bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel and Small batch, and their yellow label is not a bad value but just a tad too weak for my blood. I agree the Willett Pit Still Reserve is very, very smooth...the bottle alone is an attention grabber when served at a tasting.

Two others that I enjoy sipping (but a tad over $35) are Eagle Rare 10
& MM46. Again I love wheated bourbons!

I don't know bourbon or scotch. What do you recommend?

The most popular Scotch in Europe is Famous Grouse. It is my everyday Scotch. It is a blend of Highland Park and McAllen. None better. You don't really single malts with FG.

Agree...another good reasonably priced every day type bourbon is Larceny. I believe it is produced at the Buffalo Trace distillery.

My daughter's boyfriend is a bartender at a well known watering hole in Charleston - they use Larceny as their house pour. I had a store owner recommend it to me, and it's real close to Maker's.... not upper tier, mind you, but good bank for the buck.

Confusion to me has been the complete reversal of Four Roses in my lifetime. As a teenager 50-years ago Four Roses was the 'rock gut' stuff peddled to 'us kids' in the basement for $5 pint ('bout 4X's what it could be bought for legally back then) to consume with our cokes at James Brown concerts - now it's considered a 'premium' brand. Go figure.
I don't know much about brown liquor ... I know after trying Booker it's very different than anything I've ever tasted before; it didn't seem to need anything, water, ice - anything. and was very satisfying to 'sip'. That quality alone makes it an excellent choice for social events ... I can't imagine anyone swilling Booker and embarrassing themselves or their wife.
Just drink it neat, you'll come off like a hero in a John Grisham or Patricia Cornwell novel.

I'm a wheat bourbon man. So much so that I actually don't mind sipping on Rebel Yell. That being said, I was a regular WL Weller man. Haven't been able to find a bottle in probably 18 months. Sucks. Now I've gravitated toward either a highland scotch or a good rye bourbon for a regular pour. Been on Evan Williams SB the last few months.

Confusion to me has been the complete reversal of Four Roses in my lifetime. As a teenager 50-years ago Four Roses was the 'rock gut' stuff peddled to 'us kids' in the basement for $5 pint ('bout 4X's what it could be bought for legally back then) to consume with our cokes at James Brown concerts - now it's considered a 'premium' brand. Go figure.
I don't know much about brown liquor ... I know after trying Booker it's very different than anything I've ever tasted before; it didn't seem to need anything, water, ice - anything. and was very satisfying to 'sip'. That quality alone makes it an excellent choice for social events ... I can't imagine anyone swilling Booker and embarrassing themselves or their wife.
Just drink it neat, you'll come off like a hero in a John Grisham or Patricia Cornwell novel.
Four Roses WAS rotgut in the '70s and '80s, and even some of the '90s, to the point where it wasn't even marketed in the US anymore. Kirin bought the brand in the early 2000s, and it finally got back in our market a little over 10 years ago. They're turning out some really good whiskey nowadays, and it's a really good value, too.

Four Roses WAS rotgut in the '70s and '80s, and even some of the '90s, to the point where it wasn't even marketed in the US anymore. Kirin bought the brand in the early 2000s, and it finally got back in our market a little over 10 years ago. They're turning out some really good whiskey nowadays, and it's a really good value, too.
Since we're talking about rotgut beverages... Might y'all have heard of King Cotton peach wine? King of the bum wines.

I have to ask, is everyone is drinking their preferred bourbon strait on the rocks? I mix mine with a little GA... Evans Williams works just fine for me.

I bought a mold that makes the big ice spheres. One of those in a glass is perfect. And makes you feel all sophisticated while you sip your bourbon.

Unsolicited tip here. I have been using Makers Mark as my go to bourbon. Just to experiment, I tried a cheaper bourbon, Evan Williams, but got their single barrel bottle. It is very good.
This. There is always a new "top shelf" bourbon in stock that is being sold at an introductory rate. Ask the guy at the register what's as good as ______ and get it. Same thing with vodka and other spirits.

I like GA and a lime unless it's really high end stuff. Then just ice or a shot glass. I also like it from the freezer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT